Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 11:34 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,412,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
For me as a beach lover, Sacramento is much better. That's because I prefer NorCal beaches to SoCal every time. As Chim mentioned, Sacto is closer to beaches such as Pacifica at only 100 miles. And its 145 miles to Santa Cruz (Surf City) which seriously blows away any surfing beaches remotely close to Bakersfield including Malibu/Malizoo. I grew up surfing all those beaches, even Malibu at night. Ocean Beach, Half Moon Bay, etc... are all right there. They also have one of the best big waves spots in state which is Mavericks for those really serious about big wave riding.

Add to that beaches right in Sacramento on the lakes for lots of water sports such as swimming, kite surfing, wind surfing, paddleboarding, water skiing, etc... and there's much more to do for the whole family right in one's own backyard. Then add in the beaches of Lake Tahoe and that's a lot nearby not to mention better skiing/snowboarding. I know some beach folks scoff at mountain beaches. But until you actually go there and check 'em out you would be very surprised how nice they really are. We just took a trip to Tahoe this fall and the spent some time at one of the beaches. It was jaw droppingly beautiful with crystal clear water. The water reminds me of Tahiti which has similar crystal clear blue water. Bakersfield has nothing remotely close.

That said, I get that there are those who love SoCal beaches. I grew up there and know the appeal. So if given the choice they would still rather be 2+ hours away from a beach they are familiar with than in NorCal. But there are some of the most beautiful beaches in the state north of LA including those in Big Sur and around Santa Cruz with coastal redwoods all right there. So this is again going back to personal preferences including beaches.

Derek
Plus the water in SoCal while not really warm, except this year, does not require wearing wet suits as NorCal does for so much of the time. Lakes and rivers are nice but again cold water. It is one of the major reasons that SoCal has more people living there than NorCal. However everyone is different, but the majority seem to prefer SoCal and the beaches are one of the major reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 11:51 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,050,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
Why would you have thought Fresno was booming?

Yeah, not like Sacramento....really at all.
Why would I think Fresno might be booming, but I didn't really observe that? Because CA's coastal cities are SO expensive, middle class families are looking for alternative places to live. Also, I'd consider Fresno's climate pretty decent and it's near all kinds of recreational opportunities. I'm sure it's growing, but overall I wasn't wowed.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:25 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,381,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Yes, I would much rather go to those central CA beaches than anywhere LA south. I just find them more enjoyable, less crowded and more scenic. Montana De Oro is a really cool place.

Plus Bakersfield does have the Kern River and Lake Isabella ~ 1 hour away which is good for water skiing.

Derek

Actually it's only a 30 min commute from Lake Isabella to Bakersfield up/down the Kern River canyon road, but oh boy, what a drive! White knuckle in some spots the first time you do it. Most of the people who live in the Kernville-Lake Isabella area work in Bakersfield and they whiz down that road.

Heck, this guy does it in 6 minutes,.

Old 01-30-2019, 01:11 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,954,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Why would I think Fresno might be booming, but I didn't really observe that? Because CA's coastal cities are SO expensive, middle class families are looking for alternative places to live. Also, I'd consider Fresno's climate pretty decent and it's near all kinds of recreational opportunities. I'm sure it's growing, but overall I wasn't wowed.
Yeah, but Fresno doesn't really hit that radar. It's kind of out of the way of normal migration patterns, and the general belief is that it isn't desirable (I myself, do like it).

Coastal SoCal people go to the Inland Empire. Inland Empire people go further out within it, or to the Victor Valley. Some people move on to Vegas, Phoenix, or beyond. Some LA County people go to the Antelope Valley or Bakersfield (this is a known destination, and is still an EXCELLENT deal for people moving out of the LA area). San Diego people move north or northeast (East County, or as far north as Temecula/etc).

South/East Bay Area commuters/etc go as far as Tracy, Stockton, and Modesto. Some move to Sacramento, Reno, or beyond.

Where does that leave Fresno? Right in the middle, with nowhere to draw from.

To be honest, I think you were looking for Modesto but went to Fresno instead. Modesto fits your description better, even though it is substantially smaller....and somehow lol more expensive than Sacramento overall.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:07 PM

6,913 posts, read 8,287,541 times
Regarding the Sierra’s and heavily forested mountains, Sacramento is about 40 miles from the Sierras, and 100 miles to Lake Tahoe.

Sacramento averages about 80 miles to a dozen World-Class Ski Resorts.

The only world-class ski resort that is remotely close to Bakersfield and all the major cities in Southern California is Mammoth and Sacramento is still anywhere from 32 to 162 miles Closer to Mammoth.

Sacramento is closer to Yosemite than Bakersfield.

Sacto to Sierra Foothills = 35-40 miles
Sacto Metro to Lake Tahoe/Ski Resorts = 60-100 miles

Sacto to Yosemite = 164 miles
Bako to Yosemite = 202 miles

We are planning a ski trip this weekend and we always go to one of the many Tahoe Resorts, but we thought we would change it up a bit and go to Mammoth, which got me thinking, Southern Californians always talk about Mammoth as if it’s close to them which is odd to me because its not. It's really not that close to anywhere.

Mammoth Ski Resort to:

Sacramento 242 miles

Bakersfield 274 miles
Las Vegas 314 miles
Los Angeles 316 miles

San Diego 401 miles

Old 01-30-2019, 08:52 PM

8,217 posts, read 16,710,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post

We are planning a ski trip this weekend and we always go to one of the many Tahoe Resorts, but we thought we would change it up a bit and go to Mammoth, which got me thinking, Southern Californians always talk about Mammoth as if it’s close to them which is odd to me because its not. It's really not that close to anywhere.

Mammoth Ski Resort to:

Sacramento 242 miles

Bakersfield 274 miles
Las Vegas 314 miles
Los Angeles 316 miles

San Diego 401 miles
Mammoth was our favorite destination when living in SoCal even though its a 6+ hour drive away. We even did it once in a 'single day' while in college leaving at 2am! Got there when it opened, skied all day and then drove home. That was both nuts and epic for 20 somethings! But its true that nothing else comes remotely close for SoCal skiers/snowboarders. Those smaller mountains get monotonous and Mammoth always has better snow for a longer season. You can even ski into June some years they get such a deep snowpack.

From Sacramento, which is better to cross the Sierra? Do you prefer 50 or 16?

Even though Bakersfield is further and nowhere near Tahoe, its an easy and beautiful drive up 395 to Mammoth passing Mt. Whitney and other High Sierra peaks. That's one of the prettiest drives in the state and it just keeps getting better the closer you get to Mammoth. Fall is another awesome time to head there. Bishop Canyon explodes with color as the aspens change. We did a fall color and Death Valley trip together. They are literally right next to each other.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 01-30-2019 at 09:04 PM..

Old 01-30-2019, 10:34 PM

234 posts, read 304,186 times
Quote:

Sacramento averages about 80 miles to a dozen World-Class Ski Resorts.

The only world-class ski resort that is remotely close to Bakersfield and all the major cities in Southern California is Mammoth and Sacramento is still anywhere from 32 to 162 miles Closer to Mammoth.

I guess if the term world class is really what you are going to deem necessary, then this makes your point. A lot of people are cool with any reasonable mountain to go snowboard though. Bako is an hour from Alta Sierra for an incredibly easy day trip. Big Bear and all of its extracurriculars are three hours, still an easy weekend trip.

Mammoth Ski Resort to:

Sacramento 242 miles

Bakersfield 274 miles
Las Vegas 314 miles
Los Angeles 316 miles

San Diego 401 miles

Google maps is telling me the drive to Mammoth is slightly shorter from Bako than Sacto (travel time) even though Sacto may be technically closer.

Old 01-30-2019, 10:38 PM

234 posts, read 304,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
Actually it's only a 30 min commute from Lake Isabella to Bakersfield up/down the Kern River canyon road, but oh boy, what a drive! White knuckle in some spots the first time you do it. Most of the people who live in the Kernville-Lake Isabella area work in Bakersfield and they whiz down that road.

Heck, this guy does it in 6 minutes,.
I could only watch that for like 20 seconds.

:barf:

Old 01-30-2019, 11:39 PM

6,913 posts, read 8,287,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB316 View Post
You are on to something there, "incredibly easy days trips", that's the key. In my book anything under 2hrs, anything over I don't consider "an easy day trip".

Sacramento has about one dozen of those incredible easy day trip ski resorts nearby. Depending on where you are in the Sac Metro you are 35 mins to no more than 2 hours away.

I think the amount of snow, and how reliable it is, and how long it lasts for the season, how much variety in resorts, terrain, altitude, and how accessible it is are important factors in how much sking and snow boarding are part of the culture. In NorCal/Sacto skiing and snow boarding are a big part of the culture.

Two Sacto Area Resorts where families usually take their kids for the first time because they are close and reasonably priced:

Boreal Ski Resort Current Snow Base 110" - Up 80 from Sacto
Sierra at Tahoe - Current Snow Base 94" - Up 50 from Sacto

Compared with:
Alta Sierra - Current Snow Base only 20" - nearest to Bako

Old 01-31-2019, 10:49 AM

3,475 posts, read 5,269,294 times
Quote:
In NorCal/Sacto skiing and snow boarding are a big part of the culture.
Definitely more popular towards Sacramento bc of the proximity. I actually don't know anyone in the Bay Area who skis. That's not definitive, of course, but it just doesn't seem as popular anymore. Now everyone goes wine tasting or hiking, or they Instagram their brunch...

Down here in SD, people tend to go to Big Bear or Lake Arrowhead, but rarely Mammoth. On the map, Mammoth is squarely in NorCal, at the same latitude as San Jose actually. Bc it's so hard to get to, your best bet is the flight from San Jose to Mammoth, which is like thirty minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California