Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2020, 01:14 AM

2,922 posts, read 2,011,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
The core city of Fresno is sad really sad and boring for it's size and population. Actually, the whole metro is that way. There never really ever was a decent size urban vibrant core in Fresno so it's a challenge to build one now.

There are no new or future big urban residential/commerical projects really any where in the metro. It's housing costs are because its wages are incrediably low, and the poverty rate is very high.

For its size and population, Fresno's skyline is incredibly sad, not a single building over 230 feet. There is not a single modern aestheticly pleasing high-rise. It's historic core is extremely small and next to none of its worthy historic buildings have been renovated/repurposed.

The entire metro is suburban, ultra suburban. There isn't a single vibrant urban area where there is a large amount of restaurants/bars/shops etc that are walkable and vibrant.

The issues and challenges of the Central Valley are way worst in Fresno. It's hotter, smoggier- a lot smoggier, dryer, less green, less waterways, less rivers, smaller lakes.

There is no inter-city rail, no University of California any where near it. The airport is pathetic with very little non-stop direct connections to the rest of the nation. Not even, low-cost Southwest Airlines has flights from Fresno.

There is no big modern concert-music-media venue or arena.

There are no big league professional sports; they have college football, but really that's only 6 home games in an entire year.

There is the homeless problem too, but that is everywhere in California, and the West Coast......

Sorry, dontbelievehim, but these are some of the things our friends in Fresno complain about, but our friends are really nice! And they have an awesome pool, and their dog regularly swims and jumps into the pool from the diving board! They live in the fig something neighborhood, one of them has lived there a long time, the other moved from San Jose, they are a couple.
Lol, someone says sac isn't underrated anymore and it pisses you off, insanity. I knew you were a Homer, but jeez.

Fresno's airport is doubling in size - southwest is coming. Chill.

Downtown can't get too big because of an airport nearby. All the old buildings are being FIXED tho, all of them. New hotel is set to be made and eventually condos, too. Sac isn't the only inland CA city fixing up it's core, I hate to break it to you.

Sports are dying, no jealousy here. See attendance numbers. Nba wants a cutdown in games cause people aren't going as often. It's only going to get worse.

Urban Fresno is actually more dense than Urban Sacramento. Both have too much suburbia tho, stop it.

They're building a 70 million dollar housing project on the main Street of Fresno (Blackstone). it's going to be the first of MANY.

Heat is worse than sac, but some years it's not worth mentioning.
Last year: hottest day in sac = 103 heat index
Hottest day in Fresno = 104-105
Lots of wind last summer in Fresno, not true for sac. Delta breeze is turning into fake news ;p

Clovis, which is just east fresno, is building a nice , walkable slice of santa Monica. It's going to be really nice and safer than midtown ;p. I'll post pics when I get them.
Developers are also building some really nice suburbs in Madera county. Like award winning nice.
Future growth spot..is it ugly to you, chim?

Smaller lakes? The Lakes are beautiful and big enough. Who cares. And having less tourists is a BONUS.

Homeless problem is worse in the sac metro than in Fresno, but sac metro is bigger, so it's expected. Meh.

The city of Fresno is working hard at making the city into a bicycle hotbed, the entire city, not just a slice. You're going to see Fresno moving up on bike lists, watch.

Smog hasn't been bad the past few years. It's almost like all the regulations are actually working.. hmm.

Fresno is building a 700 acre park in North Fresno. Trails have been built and more are coming. Lots of park/trail upgrades are coming. You can keep your flat wetlands, lol. Flatramento. ;P

When traffic gets bad, you'll see a push for light rail. Got a ways to go for that.
You win there. Congrats on your underserved rail system.

Pretty much everything you said is outdated and being worked on. Relax, amigo. Go enjoy sac, and don't take this forum so seriously, it'll be good for you.

Late fall sunrise

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 03-10-2020 at 02:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2020, 05:25 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
Lol, someone says sac isn't underrated anymore and it pisses you off, insanity. I knew you were a Homer, but jeez.

Downtown can't get too big because of an airport nearby. All the old buildings are being FIXED tho, all of them. New hotel is set to be made and eventually condos, too. Sac isn't the only inland CA city fixing up it's core, I hate to break it to you.

Sports are dying, no jealousy here. See attendance numbers. Nba wants a cutdown in games cause people aren't going as often. It's only going to get worse.

Urban Fresno is actually more dense than Urban Sacramento. Both have too much suburbia tho, stop it.

They're building a 70 million dollar housing project on the main Street of Fresno (Blackstone). it's going to be the first of MANY.

Lots of wind last summer in Fresno, not true for sac. Delta breeze is turning into fake news ;p

Clovis, which is just east fresno, is building a nice , walkable slice of santa Monica. It's going to be really nice and safer than midtown ;p. I'll post pics when I get them.
Developers are also building some really nice suburbs in Madera county. Like award winning nice.

Smaller lakes? The Lakes are beautiful and big enough. Who cares. And having less tourists is a BONUS.

Homeless problem is worse in the sac metro than in Fresno, but sac metro is bigger, so it's expected. Meh.

The city of Fresno is working hard at making the city into a bicycle hotbed, the entire city, not just a slice. You're going to see Fresno moving up on bike lists, watch.

Smog hasn't been bad the past few years. It's almost like all the regulations are actually working.. hmm.

Fresno is building a 700 acre park in North Fresno. Trails have been built and more are coming. Lots of park/trail upgrades are coming. You can keep your flat wetlands, lol. Flatramento. ;P

When traffic gets bad, you'll see a push for light rail. Got a ways to go for that.

Pretty much everything you said is outdated and being worked on. Relax, amigo. Go enjoy sac, and don't take this forum so seriously, it'll be good for you.

Late fall sunrise
I am not sure the anger about Sac being under or over rated is the issue as much as someone calling Sc a third rate city at best. I have no ties to Sac, we did live there for about a year and loved it, but we knew it was a temporary move and I was ticked that someone would degrade it that bad.

Old 03-10-2020, 10:28 AM

2,922 posts, read 2,011,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am not sure the anger about Sac being under or over rated is the issue as much as someone calling Sc a third rate city at best. I have no ties to Sac, we did live there for about a year and loved it, but we knew it was a temporary move and I was ticked that someone would degrade it that bad.
Some fresnan(?I think he is) said sac was rated right. I replied and said something, I never even mentioned sac. Heck, I wasn't even thinking about sac when I replied. And that set chim off on a tirade. Chim is always looking for an excuse to attack cities he doesn't like or sees as rivals. He claims to be open-minded, buts he's no better than Mrjester.

Edit: what I'm talking about happened on page 2. The other chim spats happened a bit later.

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 03-10-2020 at 10:53 AM..

Old 03-11-2020, 12:54 AM

6,907 posts, read 8,279,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Yea, and then you woke up from your fantasy. There actual poop apps, for SF. The city had to hire a task force, just to go around and hose off the poo on the sidewalk.
Oh, wizard, your little wand of attacks just make me laugh. I, literally, walked from the southeastern edge of the Presido in Pacific Heights, down Broadway all the way to Stockton/Grant/Columbus (Chinatown and North Beach). The entire way up until the Broadway Tunnel it was immaculately clean they way you would expect SF to be in times past. It was clean over the hill (I never walk the tunnel, too loud) and down into Chinatown.

Chinatown looked the way it always has, not super clean, but NOT filled with poop nor homeless. When we were done eating dumplings in Chinatown, we walked down Columbus (clean, no poop, no homeless) where it ends at the Transamerica Pyramid Bldg. Turned left down Washington which is where we saw a man sleeping in a corner on the street. From there we turned right down Battery, near Market we saw #2 homeless person, still no poop, continued down 1st to Mission to the Salesforce Tower, no poop, no homeless.

I was pleasantly surprised that 95% of this walk was clean streets, and super clean in Pacific Heights.

I'm not saying there are not areas that are super bad with homeless, notably, Civic Center/Market, I hear Castro and Market is bad these days.

But, again, I was very happy that SF was clean and poop-free on our super long walk. And, the Presido itself was immaculate, beautiful, and very clean, spectacular views of the Bay and Alcatraz.

Old 03-17-2020, 09:58 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,398,309 times
I just did an overly quick tour of many of the higher density portions of NorCal and SoCal. Below, my quick impressions don't imply that I am in any way intimately familiar with the mentioned locations:

Under-rated:
Folsom and the Sierra Nevada Foothills
East Sacramento
Marin, excepting San Rafael (not terrible but it didn't do anything for me)
South San Francisco
San Mateo County
West Santa Clara County
West Contra Costa County
Pleasanton
North San Diego County (virtually all except the most run down neighborhoods in Vista)
South Bay (LA)
San Clemente

Over-rated:
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Orange County, excepting San Clemente, Dana Point, and the residential portion of Huntington Beach (didn't see Laguna Beach)
La Jolla (way over-rated and try-hard for my taste and for what it actually is)

Deserving of its high rating:
Napa Valley

Deserving of their relative anonymity:
Santa Rosa
Orange

Deserving of their low rating:
Oakland
Much of the Sacramento burbs

Invokes no feeling whatsoever:
Berkeley and the immediate surrounding neighborhoods
San Diego (saw West San Diego, which was 'nice' for a city but ultimately too balanced with unnatractive aspects to invoke any feeling one way or the other for me - though I wouldn't mind a place in Pacific Beach).

Last edited by golgi1; 03-17-2020 at 10:29 PM..

Old 06-19-2020, 05:16 AM

60 posts, read 60,759 times
Santa Cruz is overrated

Old 07-01-2020, 03:22 AM

60 posts, read 60,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post

Late fall sunrise
My family and I drive through Fresno on our yearly trip to Yosemite/Wawona Campgrounds, and its really pretty, lots of trees, shopping, homes, well maybe its just me cause I'm from the El Centro metro area in Imperial Valley so it just seems better. We stop in fresno to get our food for the week and extra supplies. I'm glad to see it growing and trying to improve.

Old 08-22-2020, 11:54 AM

7,300 posts, read 3,398,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I think Silicon Valley gets a lot of undeserved hate. People shamelessly stereotype the high tech industry as boring and soul killing and then bash San Jose as a boring place. Well guess what? Seattle has lots of high tech as well, but for some reason it's not getting the same hate as San Jose. For some reason people think it's a lot cooler than San Jose.
I like the Santa Clara Valley, but Seattle is a much more socially natural city.

Tech's importation of half of their labor force from Asia, mostly males, and turning Silicon Valley into part labor camp was always going to make the city strange in terms of both gender and cultural demographics. Seattle gender demographics aren't fantastic either, and so it compare SJs as notably worse is saying something.

Then, as a part result, this corporate economic incentive to keep the cheaper foreign labor rolling in creates top down political pressure toward Leftist extremism - even relative to the rest of California.

Now add the incredible property value inflation not only brought to bear by the natural tech economy, but by resulting non-local speculation (both domestic and foreign) in the local housing market.

These social and economic reasons combine to draw criticism to San Jose above that drawn to Seattle.

As far as quality of life and amnity issues that are solved purely by money and weather, San Jose is a great place.

Old 08-24-2020, 06:35 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,388,084 times
Underrated: Los Angeles Metro.
Overrated: Ventura Metro

Old 08-24-2020, 03:02 PM

307 posts, read 242,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
The core city of Fresno is sad really sad and boring for it's size and population. Actually, the whole metro is that way. There never really ever was a decent size urban vibrant core in Fresno so it's a challenge to build one now.

There are no new or future big urban residential/commerical projects really any where in the metro. It's housing costs are because its wages are incrediably low, and the poverty rate is very high.

For its size and population, Fresno's skyline is incredibly sad, not a single building over 230 feet. There is not a single modern aesthetically pleasing high-rise. It's historic core is extremely small and next to none of its worthy historic buildings have been renovated/repurposed.

The entire metro is suburban, ultra suburban. There isn't a single vibrant urban area where there is a large amount of restaurants/bars/shops etc that are walkable and vibrant.

The issues and challenges of the Central Valley are way worst in Fresno. It's hotter, smoggier- a lot smoggier, dryer, less green, less waterways, less rivers, smaller lakes.

There is no inter-city rail, no University of California any where near it. The airport is pathetic with very little non-stop direct connections to the rest of the nation. Not even, low-cost Southwest Airlines has flights from Fresno.

There is no big modern concert-music-media venue or arena.

There are no big league professional sports; they have college football, but really that's only 6 home games in an entire year.

There is the homeless problem too, but that is everywhere in California, and the West Coast......

Sorry, dontbelievehim, but these are some of the things our friends in Fresno complain about, but our friends are really nice! And they have an awesome pool, and their dog regularly swims and jumps into the pool from the diving board! They live in the fig something neighborhood, one of them has lived there a long time, the other moved from San Jose, they are a couple.
Yes Fresno isn't the creme de la creme of California but alot of the stuff you mentioned is false and pure hate/ignorance. Come on now..

A UC Campus doesn't make a city. The Tower District is a charming walk-able neighborhood with bars,shops, and a some restaurants. And Where's San Jose's highrises at? Sac should have a much better skyline being the capital and all as well. The downtown is a work in progress but I'm quite fond of the Fresno Pacific Tower myself aesthetically(see below). Save Mart Arena seats 16,000+ and Fresno pretty much gets all the big concert tours out there. And Fresno State D1 athletics is a big deal in the city and the entire Central Valley. We also have TripleA baseball with the Fresno Grizzlies. Not pro sports but not bad at all.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California