Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2020, 07:06 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,686,290 times

Advertisements

No, this 2008 (?) video is not California-specific, but it is very relevant to our understanding of the current pandemic.

Dr. Michael Greger discusses the changing role of our relationships with animals and its impact upon the development and spread of infectious diseases. Fascinating.

Dr. Greger is a very engaging speaker and his views are evidence-based.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_ppXSABYLY
Quote:

Pandemics: History & Prevention
Mar 27, 2020
How to treat the cause by preventing the emergence of pandemic viruses in the first place (a video I recorded more than a decade ago when I was Public Health Director at the HSUS in Washington DC). *Please note there is graphic human and animal footage*

Old 03-27-2020, 10:22 AM

19,206 posts, read 16,689,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think we all are wondering similar things. I am anything but a germaphobic and I have found myself afraid almost to touch anything. I have heard some recommendations that normally I would just blow it off, but now I am thinking twice. Someone on face book suggested washing your mail box daily or using cloroxe wipes on it. I do think that may be going a bit to far, but it might help. Who knows? It still seems like we really don't have enough information to decide what is going too far.

BTW as for the number in America outnumbers those in China, we do have to remember or consider: we may have better testing than they do and/or we have no idea if they are reporting the information correctly. I do not put a lot into some of these reports.
You're right and I know everyone is taking a second look at what they're touching and asking if it could be contaminated. I mentioned last week that I now wipe down all the door knobs. That's something I did occasionally but it's bumped up to every other day. Yesterday, I received a delivery. The FedEx guy was wearing gloves (which was nice). I waited until he left before retrieving the package and when I did, I didn't bring it into the house. I took around to the garage before opening it. I was also wearing gloves and I wiped the box and contents down with a couple of clorox wipes. See? This is what I mean about crazy behavior but then I wonder ... will this crazy behavior save my life or just push me over the edge and they'll end up putting into a room with padded walls?

The news isn't good, either. The U.S. now has more infected people than both China and Italy. Over 85K people! This isn't even close to being contained. We're backed up on testing and supplies. Even in my town, there was a public request in the news for gloves and masks for our emergency personnel. Masks, especially. They're asking everyone to donate any extras they have at home. Ironic that those things are made in China isn't it? If we were manufacturing those products here, I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be in need of them as badly as we are.

Old 03-27-2020, 12:28 PM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
.... everyone is taking a second look at what they're touching and asking if it could be contaminated. I mentioned last week that I now wipe down all the door knobs. That's something I did occasionally but it's bumped up to every other day.
Are you doing what this doctor suggests, Mars? One of my siblings sent this clip; I am so not up to speed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjDuwc9KBps

Old 03-27-2020, 12:46 PM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times
The Navy’s Mercy hospital ship arrived at the Port of Los Angeles on Friday to assist with the expected surge in patients stricken by the coronavirus.

The ship, which has a capacity of 1,000 beds, will house patients without COVID-19 in order to free up regional hospital beds for those who do. Some patients who are already hospitalized in Los Angeles County will be transferred to the ship for ongoing treatment, port officials said.

Gov. Gavin Newsom said last week that the state had asked the Department of Defense to deploy the Navy’s Mercy, as well as two mobile hospitals, to California, as the state looked to expand its overall inventory of hospital beds by roughly 20,000 to deal with the expected surge in patients.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...s-deaths-surge

Old 03-27-2020, 01:24 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,814,222 times
https://www.sfgate.com/science/artic...s-15160234.php

Old 03-27-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Are you doing what this doctor suggests, Mars? One of my siblings sent this clip; I am so not up to speed!
Pretty much. I don't eat bread or grains of any kind so the only thing I need to wash is produce, which I've been doing religiously for years so this isn't new advice to me. I don't wash my foods with soap and water, though. What I do is use a bit of food grade hydrogen peroxide in a sink full of water and let it soak for half an hour. I use this one:

Attachment 218960

What's most frustrating for me is this stay at home order. There are a lot of people out there helping others who are in need and I want to be one of those who do it but they've said no ... all because of my stupid age.

Just like last night, a story on KCRA3 about an elderly man who called 9-1-1 because he was out of food. The dispatcher contacted a Sgt. in department who immediately went out and bought food for the man. Should add that the Sgt does this type of thing regularly. Angels with guns and badges. As word spread through the department and others, before long, the old guy had enough food and supplies to last him months. This guy is only one story. There are so many out there right now who need help. I love these stories of people helping others and I want to do it but I'm stuck in this bleepin' house. I realize that they think it's for my own protection but when you take away one of the things in life that brings a person joy, you're really only killing them faster.

Thanks for the video. It will be helpful to those who are still trying to figure out how to navigate this new normal.

Stay safe and don't touch your face until you've washed your hands.

Last edited by JGC97; 02-15-2022 at 09:38 PM..

Old 03-27-2020, 02:08 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,276,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Pretty much. I don't eat bread or grains of any kind so the only thing I need to wash is produce, which I've been doing religiously for years so this isn't new advice to me. I don't wash my foods with soap and water, though. What I do is use a bit of food grade hydrogen peroxide in a sink full of water and let it soak for half an hour. I use this one:

Attachment 218960

What's most frustrating for me is this stay at home order. There are a lot of people out there helping others who are in need and I want to be one of those who do it but they've said no ... all because of my stupid age.

Just like last night, a story on KCRA3 about an elderly man who called 9-1-1 because he was out of food. The dispatcher contacted a Sgt. in department who immediately went out and bought food for the man. Should add that the Sgt does this type of thing regularly. Angels with guns and badges. As word spread through the department and others, before long, the old guy had enough food and supplies to last him months. This guy is only one story. There are so many out there right now who need help. I love these stories of people helping others and I want to do it but I'm stuck in this bleepin' house. I realize that they think it's for my own protection but when you take away one of the things in life that brings a person joy, you're really only killing them faster.

Thanks for the video. It will be helpful to those who are still trying to figure out how to navigate this new normal.

Stay safe and don't touch your face until you've washed your hands.
Funny. Some things I see getting back to normal and some other things not so much. Costco had almost everything in stock this morning, but now they have plexiglass shields between the cashiers and the shoppers.

Old 03-27-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Funny. Some things I see getting back to normal and some other things not so much. Costco had almost everything in stock this morning, but now they have plexiglass shields between the cashiers and the shoppers.
Oh yes. Same thing here. The plexiglass is a great idea

Old 03-27-2020, 02:44 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,686,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Do people still have to lineup just to enter Costco?

Old 03-27-2020, 02:44 PM

2,282 posts, read 1,582,667 times
is California going to be on a 90-day stay-in-home order? I just heard Newsome got 4 banks to agree on a 90 days no late fees on mortgage. So, I was putting two and two together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California