Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2020, 09:56 AM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldcitizen10 View Post
Navy Seals are in for dying in combat, not for simply surviving, so please don't expand this book advice to vulnerable populations. You do no know the medical history of people you had seen, their household situation and medical history of their household members.

Everyone should do what they believe necessary for their protection and protection of others near them, and not be judged.

As to empty car... clearly you had not even read my response post. Please do. Car might not be empty the next moment, if they have one car for household (yes, a lot of people can't afford a car per person), and need to drive vulnerable household member to cancer treatment next. People with cancer have to go in for treatments and tests every single day.

I recently saw a guy driving in respirator and in disposable gloves alone in a car, driving into isolated campground/ retreat. He was to be in and out, picking something up or delivering stuff, driving from nearby town, and had simply put up protective stuff in advance.

As to hiker....again, everyone should hike own hike. It applies to carrying guns as well.
You said "Not another soul in sight."....well, you saw him.
And again you didn't bother reading my post. Have you read about things like pollen? Do you know what it's like to suffocate because of pine pollen? Pray you won't.
I saw the hiker from a moving vehicle doing 60mph the opposite direction on a highway.

“Discipline Equals Freedom” applies to everything anybody does in life. That’s the point.

I read your response. Fully. I consider your position scenarios to be over the top.

“ Do [ I ] know what it's like to suffocate because of pine pollen? Pray [ I ] won't” ... heh. Speaking of making uniformed judgements ... What do you know about me? What do you know about dangers I have faced, damages I have suffered, or sacrifices I have made to serve others? Too funny.

Old 03-29-2020, 10:05 AM

228 posts, read 161,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I saw the hiker from a moving vehicle doing 60mph the opposite direction on a highway.

“Discipline Equals Freedom” applies to everything anybody does in life. That’s the point.

I read your response. Fully. I consider your position scenarios to be over the top.

“ Do [ I ] know what it's like to suffocate because of pine pollen? Pray [ I ] won't” ... heh. Speaking of making uniformed judgements ... What do you know about me? What do you know about dangers I have faced, damages I have suffered, or sacrifices I have made to serve others? Too funny.

You should leave people who hike alone...
It shouldn't bother you who hikes how and in general what protection measures people take.

There're people with asthma. Clearly, you do no have it or don't have it bad, since you judge people for wearing masks outdoors. I do not really worry about "sacrifices you made to serve others", not sure how this is relevant to what other's do to protect themselves, just like you don't worry about others' suffering, clearly.

FYI, people with asthma sometimes DO need to wear a mask to enjoy outdoor activities. And they will, whatever you think about it. Otherwise, they simply won't be able to enjoy outdoors.

There will be more and more people on trails wearing masks, for asthma reasons alone, as people become more aware of protection measures, so better one gets used to this. If mask on trail bothers someone, may be close eyes or something or look the other way....it's legal.

It can be pollen, smoke, cold temperatures, dust, spores, passerby's animals, etc that can trigger asthma attack.
I will not be discussing with you anymore and will not read your posts, not productive.

Old 03-29-2020, 10:18 AM

19,211 posts, read 16,696,914 times
If someone feels better wearing a mask, they should do it but don't get a false sense of security about it.
The reason I say that is because of what I observed last week.

I had to go to Home Depot for something. After I parked, I saw a man walking out of the store with a face mask perched on top of his head. He must have had it on while he was in the store but pulled it up when he got outside. I don't know if he wiped his hands or not, though. I didn't see him do it it but maybe he did. Anyway, he had a lit cigarette in his mouth. I couldn't help stare at him. Not only because he was smoking which would eventually kill him but wondered if he wiped his hands before reaching into the pack, grabbing the tip of the cigarette and putting it into his mouth. If he didn't wash his hands, which I suspect he didn't, he just transferred any germs he picked up in the store, onto the tip of that cigarette and right into his mouth.

Paying by credit card? Using the germ filled touch pad is risky too. How many people touch that in a day? Or, even paying cash. Where has that money been and is it contaminated? So, his wearing a mask means squat when that man did the very thing doctors are telling you not to do.

All I'm saying is pay attention to your hands and keep them away from your face until you've had the chance to wash them. Just as Dr. Price said in the video.

Old 03-29-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
You should leave people who hike alone...
It shouldn't bother you who hikes how and in general what protection measures people take.

There're people with asthma. Clearly, you do no have it or don't have it bad, since you judge people for wearing masks outdoors. I do not really worry about "sacrifices you made to serve others", just like you don't worry about others' suffering, clearly.

FYI, people with asthma sometimesw DO need to wear mask to enjoy outdoor activities. Otherwise, they simply won't be able to enjoy them.

There will be more and more people on trails wearing masks, for asthma reasons alone, as people become more aware of protection measures, so better one gets used to this.

It can be pollen, smoke, cold temperatures, passerby's animals, etc that can trigger asthma attack.
I will not be discussing with you anymore and will not read your posts, not productive.
Heh. If I “don’t worry about others’ suffering” - why would I have made sacrifices (that you don’t care to know about?)? ... A perfect example of how poorly thought out your responses are. You know nothing of my service to others. Yet you judge me. The difference?

Anyone can concoct fictional scenarios to argue against another’s position on any issue. You are doing this. It’s called specious sophistry. Look it up.

Facts are: we very rarely see anyone wearing masks because they have asthma or anything else. Until now. My examples were just that: examples of many over-the-top reactions that can be seen frequently now, where we almost never did before. THAT was the point.

We’ll see more and more masks even when this is over? Wouldn’t surprise me. Humans are more inclined to fear-based behaviors than to exercising the effort to build and maintain healthy immune systems. The thinking that we can / should isolate ourselves from microbes rather than practice the healthy lifestyles that build health in concert with the natural environment - is amusing.

Old 03-29-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
If someone feels better wearing a mask, they should do it but don't get a false sense of security about it.
The reason I say that is because of what I observed last week.

I had to go to Home Depot for something. After I parked, I saw a man walking out of the store with a face mask perched on top of his head. He must have had it on while he was in the store but pulled it up when he got outside. I don't know if he wiped his hands or not, though. I didn't see him do it it but maybe he did. Anyway, he had a lit cigarette in his mouth. I couldn't help stare at him. Not only because he was smoking which would eventually kill him but wondered if he wiped his hands before reaching into the pack, grabbing the tip of the cigarette and putting it into his mouth. If he didn't wash his hands, which I suspect he didn't, he just transferred any germs he picked up in the store, onto the tip of that cigarette and right into his mouth.

Paying by credit card? Using the germ filled touch pad is risky too. How many people touch that in a day? Or, even paying cash. Where has that money been and is it contaminated? So, his wearing a mask means squat when that man did the very thing doctors are telling you not to do.

All I'm saying is pay attention to your hands and keep them away from your face until you've had the chance to wash them. Just as Dr. Price said in the video.
Absolutely perfect analysis, Mars ...

Old 03-29-2020, 10:25 AM

228 posts, read 161,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
This is a pandemic. If it makes them feel better and safer going out and about, why question it. None of this is really healthy; watching the news and the incredible death toll in other countries, watching the medical staff on the front lines without proper gear and respirators do their jobs, watching the different ways of handling this from different jurisdictions- Texas and Florida clueless; SF, Chicago and NYC among others handling this like it is life or death, and wondering when it will all end because of the clueless ones; watching small business owners struggle, all not healthy.

I normally agree with you on most of your posts, but fear makes people do things they would not normally do, and wearing a mask is so harmless and understandable. Not everyone is as lucky as you as to retreat to a rural enclave and not worry about infection; many like myself are in suburbs or cities hunkered down hoping for the best.

The worst thing this fear does is placing some people into the state of denial: they either deny the danger or deny the usefulness of protective equipment. They sometimes turn to judging others because of this fear they harbor deep inside them, without probably even realizing it. All the attacks and making fun/picking on people who protect themselves are caused by this fear. Exactly what you said, why question when others' go extra mile, no need to play god.
Aside from numerous other reasons cited above (to wear a mask in these particular situations) it could be as simple as person needing to put it on for some task and not bothering to remove it until they get back home.
As to rural enclaves: they're VERY worried about infection, because of people who travel back to them potentially carrying the virus and lack of hospital resources and ventilators in particular, not to mention large percent of population being seniors.

Last edited by worldcitizen10; 03-29-2020 at 10:37 AM..

Old 03-29-2020, 10:44 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,146,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Wearing masks in asian countries is common when they’re sick. Not when they’re healthy. Many sources are saying that masks can’t help you if you’re healthy but they help prevent the spread if you’re sick.

If it makes someone feel better, then wear one.
That's the issue. There are many people running around who are sick and infecting others without knowing it. A mask would definitely help in that situation.

Old 03-29-2020, 10:51 AM

19,211 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Quote:
The worst thing this fear does is placing some people into the state of denial: they either deny the danger or deny the usefulness of protective equipment. They sometimes turn to judging others because of this fear they harbor deep inside them, without probably even realizing it. All the attacks and making fun/picking on people who protect themselves are caused by this fear.
To some degree, you are correct. I usually find the ones who fall into the category of denying any danger are young people. (no offense to young people here). They have a different mindset than those of us who are little longer in the tooth. They either haven't had a serious illness yet or simply think they're invincible and will never die so nothing can touch them. It's not their fault. It's just human nature. You have to go through some pretty harrowing things in life before you fully understand how quickly things can change. As for judging people. That's been around since the dawn of time. For many, it's easier to cast aspersions on others than looking in the mirror.

I like a phrase that's used quite often online ... You do you. Simple as that. Forget what others do or say. You do you.

Old 03-29-2020, 02:03 PM

987 posts, read 779,652 times
Very interesting video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A3jiM2FNR8

Old 03-29-2020, 02:22 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,815,179 times
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...on/5080571002/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California