Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2022, 11:29 AM

26,720 posts, read 26,787,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I don’t believe any of those squeaky type educators have ever produced anything worthwhile in their life.
These types of people dumb down our educational system.
What?

Old 08-19-2022, 11:43 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,072,220 times
Meaning a good portion of our kids educators that refused to go to work and mandated masks for kids are worthless.

Old 08-19-2022, 11:52 AM

382 posts, read 179,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Meaning a good portion of our kids educators that refused to go to work and mandated masks for kids are worthless.
Yes, they were/are. My wife, a teacher, can attest to that. She'd say 80-90% are worthless, and many only taught the required daily 30 mins of Zoom for the whole 20-21 school year. Not sure how anyone could even argue against this, but there are some.

Old 08-19-2022, 12:29 PM

382 posts, read 179,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
If you (and everyone else who hews either left or right) hates every other statement I make, then I'm doing my job correctly.

Do you know anyone who doesn't think they're smarter than everybody else, in at least some way? 4/5 people are idiots. Jury is out on me. Nobody can judge their own intelligence, because you're not an impartial judge of you.

I really don't care what you do with your own health. Actually, I applaud your decision, because as long as 50% of Americans make the same one, there will be enough free omicron-specific vax for me.

I've made this prediction before, and now the news is picking it up, but just an FYI; this fall's shot is likely the last freebie. Someone other than the Nanny State is going to have to pay for any more. It'll probably be "insurance", but you know that stuff rolls downhill and means we will all pay 10X the cost of the shots in higher premiums.

I just hope that the next year's shots can be those supposed MRNA wonder-vaxxes that target all coronaviruses. I'd pay to skip my next cold, or at least shorten it.
No, not really, well maybe on here. Wouldn't say 20% of the people I come in contact with are idiots though, it's great you think so highly of yourself. Now, if you would have said 90-95% of Congress, public health officials, and the majority in government are idiots, I'd agree. Mark Twain summed it up quite well.

"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself."

Go get that booster for Omicron though. I don't care what you do with your health either. It's telling that you'd say that you're looking forward to that wonder-vaxx for a common cold. Don't think I've had a cold in over 8 years since moving back to Ca. For the 4 years we spent in Tx though I recall a slight cold and possibly flu once, so no, not wasting time putting medicine in my body for no reason.

Old 08-19-2022, 12:37 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,877,478 times
Quote:
It was 0.63% in NYC by July, so a million excess deaths is more accurate than 3 million.

Statements like "the CDC was busted" sounds like you're getting your talking points from stormfront or some other sector of the lunatic fringe.

Wanna share an estimate of excess deaths due to lockdowns? I see 3K excess suicide deaths in 2020, which is more than 2 orders of magnitude less than the potential excess covid deaths.

That's nonsense. They're 30th out of 47, pretty much in the lower-middle--more deaths than Germany, fewer than France. Early on, it seemed like Sweden was beating the pandemic odds with their open approach, but it turns out they were just more isolated and less densely populated. They were the North Dakota of Europe. Except healthier and with better social systems and health care.

I was a big advocate of Sweden early on because they never closed schools--which was another misstep that most of the world took in knee-jerk reaction. The initial school closures might have been okay when we didn't know much, but continuing to keep schools closed flew in the face of clear evidence (from Sweden and other countries) that children were far less likely to transmit the virus than adults, and that they were at almost no risk of serious illness. I remember that being one of the miracles of COVID-19, that there was practically nothing to worry about for young children for Alpha-through-Delta variants.
Spreading an outdated myth.
Teachers, like others were rightly hesitating to work in dangerous environments, and it was dangerous because kids do spread it 'well enough'. Children getting it in schools and bringing it home to families is one of the main reasons the virus became so entrenched. Recently society has gone backward in school infection control. Keep in mind that many children (minors) aren't little; all else being equal, the closer to adult-sized, the more likely to spread the virus like an adult would.

Quote:
Haha, what a wacky statement. WTF is a "lockdown death" one of those 3000 extra suicides? Florida is 15th/50 for COVID deaths while CA is 40/50. We beat the pants off those gator-humping morons in terms of keeping people safe against the virus. Most of that was due to vaccination uptake and not due to lockdowns. Once vaccines were widely available, all lockdowns became moot. Masking was still a good idea, but mandates (for masks and vaxxes) were never long-term sustainable.
There have been vaccine mandates for healthcare workers and active-duy military for a long time.

Last edited by goodheathen; 08-19-2022 at 12:52 PM..

Old 08-19-2022, 01:56 PM

50,255 posts, read 47,011,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
The IFR was vastly overstated from the beginning and was nowhere near 1% like Imperial College of London predicted. Actual ranges deduced were ~0.3% from the Stanford Study, 0.4% from the European antibody study, and 0.6% from the WHO. Also, few legitimate sources would argue lockdowns saved millions of lives. A study last year actually said the opposite. The CDC was later busted when it was found that they were hiding that about 40% of excess deaths during the lockdowns were likely tied to the lockdowns themselves but not from Covid.

Counterpoint why is Sweden in the bottom 1/4 th of per capita mortality in Europe and why does Florida gave significantly fewer lockdown deaths than CA? Schools were open in Florida by August 2020 and mask wearing was scant in many/most places. Using your math their excess deaths should be 500%+ higher than other states that locked down yet their covid numbers are near the median.
Right out the gate, no masking. Then mandatory "face coverings". There were no masks to be bought. People made their own. I'm quite sure most of the masks people were wearing initially did nothing. Not the used under wear, hello kitty, home depot dust masks or neck gaiters. That's what most people had to use.

By the time actual real masks became available the ship had already sailed.

But, here's SDSU still doing it. Mostly cloth masks too.

What I want to know is, with no enforcement, how do we keep the lawn maint types from working the next time this happens because most of these people never skipped a beat. The parking lots were still crammed with day laborers.

Old 08-19-2022, 06:30 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
This is so Bay Area LOL. Notice the teacher is wearing what looks like a cloth mask which is virtually useless.

Bay Area school calls police in dispute over whether 4-year-old must wear a mask. Parents might sue

The Mountain View Whisman School District is among a very small number of districts in California that required masking as the school year started, even though there was no state or county mandate.

The dispute escalated Thursday after the school had refused entry to the boy since Monday. The parent, who identified himself only by his first name, Shawn, because of safety concerns, told The Chronicle he had been trying to address the issue even prior to his son’s first day of transitional kindergarten at Theuerkauf Elementary on Aug. 10.

His son, who has sensory issues, has long had significant trouble wearing a mask, Shawn said, an issue his doctors and dentists have accommodated. District and school officials refused to bend, he added.

Old 08-20-2022, 11:01 AM

1,638 posts, read 1,108,042 times
Quote:
It was 0.63% in NYC by July, so a million excess deaths is more accurate than 3 million.

Statements like "the CDC was busted" sounds like you're getting your talking points from stormfront or some other sector of the lunatic fringe.

Wanna share an estimate of excess deaths due to lockdowns? I see 3K excess suicide deaths in 2020, which is more than 2 orders of magnitude less than the potential excess covid deaths.

That's nonsense. They're 30th out of 47, pretty much in the lower-middle--more deaths than Germany, fewer than France. Early on, it seemed like Sweden was beating the pandemic odds with their open approach, but it turns out they were just more isolated and less densely populated. They were the North Dakota of Europe. Except healthier and with better social systems and health care.

I was a big advocate of Sweden early on because they never closed schools--which was another misstep that most of the world took in knee-jerk reaction. The initial school closures might have been okay when we didn't know much, but continuing to keep schools closed flew in the face of clear evidence (from Sweden and other countries) that children were far less likely to transmit the virus than adults, and that they were at almost no risk of serious illness. I remember that being one of the miracles of COVID-19, that there was practically nothing to worry about for young children for Alpha-through-Delta variants.

Haha, what a wacky statement. WTF is a "lockdown death" one of those 3000 extra suicides? Florida is 15th/50 for COVID deaths while CA is 40/50. We beat the pants off those gator-humping morons in terms of keeping people safe against the virus. Most of that was due to vaccination uptake and not due to lockdowns. Once vaccines were widely available, all lockdowns became moot. Masking was still a good idea, but mandates (for masks and vaxxes) were never long-term sustainable.

If you (and everyone else who hews either left or right) hates every other statement I make, then I'm doing my job correctly.

Do you know anyone who doesn't think they're smarter than everybody else, in at least some way? 4/5 people are idiots. Jury is out on me. Nobody can judge their own intelligence, because you're not an impartial judge of you.

I really don't care what you do with your own health. Actually, I applaud your decision, because as long as 50% of Americans make the same one, there will be enough free omicron-specific vax for me.

I've made this prediction before, and now the news is picking it up, but just an FYI; this fall's shot is likely the last freebie. Someone other than the Nanny State is going to have to pay for any more. It'll probably be "insurance", but you know that stuff rolls downhill and means we will all pay 10X the cost of the shots in higher premiums.

I just hope that the next year's shots can be those supposed MRNA wonder-vaxxes that target all coronaviruses. I'd pay to skip my next cold, or at least shorten it.
Cuomo managed to kill a significant portion of the nursing home residents in about a month hence the high initial IFR. It's not indicative of a trend but an outlier due to poor government policy.

Also lockdowns are believes to have killed more in the UK than Covid itself.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/h...-b2148452.html

The US found them worthless too

https://wusfnews.wusf.usf.edu/health...t-covid-deaths

California has a large death undercount partially due to games they play when counting them.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/health/a...s-17204540.php

However, excess deaths ratios which are by far the most accurate show CA doing worse than FL. Countries and states often disagree and how to count deaths (and politics plays a role too) but Excess deaths pick up both probable Covid deaths as well as those that died from lockdown related issues.

https://www.usmortality.com/excess-absolute

Also a lot of the European "countries" on the Worldometer list are small island nations that actually belong to other countries. I'm not going to call Hawaii it's own country just like Isle of Man isn't either.

Obviously right-wing nonsense though

Old 08-20-2022, 12:01 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,877,478 times
Multiple subscriber-only links don't do us any good.

I think the diabetes-lockdown point was made long ago. But more diabetes can be from weight gain or COVID-19 infection itself. Even the Omicron variant risks that. I don't see how researchers could tease that out - and I don't believe any researchers seriously believe lockdown killed more people than it saved.
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-022-00912-y

Time to interject that diabetes is bad, makes life less enjoyable even if it's controlled well, and it is not mentioned often enough as a result of infection.

Anyway, almost all talk about lockdown is silly, because it's not coming back unless there's something very different and very dangerous around. I think people are bringing it up as a scare tactic. As if any restrictions = (wasn't worth it) lockdown. The sane reality of living with a dangerous virus is that spread needs to be controlled. Society does try to limit outbreaks of most non-trivial infectious diseases.

Old 08-20-2022, 12:50 PM

26,720 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Quote:
Cuomo managed to kill a significant portion of the nursing home residents in about a month hence the high initial IFR....

Also lockdowns are believes to have killed more in the UK than Covid itself.
Lockdowns have been over for well over two years. Time to move on.

Quote:
However, excess deaths ratios which are by far the most accurate show CA doing worse than FL.
LOL. "By far the most accurate"....because they reflect your point of view? And why the continuous obsessive comparisons of CA with FL?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California