Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2020, 03:25 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times

Advertisements

A neighbor of mine was in a real funk the other day and worried about what would happen to her cat if she and her husband died. I calmed her a bit by saying I'd take her if that happened and if I died my young adult kids would take her. It was a small thing but it was really weighing on her mind.

Old 04-05-2020, 03:31 PM

1,156 posts, read 987,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
One of the doctors (I think Brix) said the death toll count could be 100,000-240,000. On many media outlets after that I just saw the 240,000 figure.

The media is all about painting the worst news possible. Bad news sells.
Just like them saying the number of cases will double every 3 days. If that was the case, the US will have 1M cases by the end of tomorrow, which was based on there being 32,356 US cases on March 22nd. My guess is we won't be getting 700k more cases by the end of tomorrow.

Old 04-05-2020, 03:45 PM

21,738 posts, read 16,356,570 times
I repeat what I posted a few weeks back: glad many of you weren’t in my unit overseas ... holy crap ... doom and gloom ... we’re all gonna die! ... just surrender now! Arrrrrrgggggggh!

Old 04-05-2020, 04:05 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,919,706 times
its a simple cure to get over the obsession; stop watching the damn news 24-7, stop looking at news on line, and dont read ANY thread on CD or ANY other Social Media site/thread that has the word in it..

I've taken to watching cartoons, Dennis the menace, leave it to beaver, Andy Griffin Reruns, all that sort of stuff..reading and looking at this krap 24-7 is horrible for your mind and soul, and for you and the health of your family..TURN OF THE DAMN NEWS ALREADY

Old 04-05-2020, 04:19 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
Sooner or later, …. the alarmism among the Chicken Littles and the fear-mongers who pander to them aside, …. the nation will have to return to a pattern of "business as usual".

We've held up well so far, and I believe the principal reason is that the most responsible participants in the most essential segments of our society and economy --- our police officers, firefighters, truck drivers, warehouse employees --- have shouldered the burden of what appears to be a distorted measure of risk, and shown up for work, as usual; no thanks to the media manipulators who know too well that insecurity sells!.

I'm pretty sure that when the dust (and the microbes) from this global disruption (as opposed to the tantrums promoted by a minority within) settle out, we'll have at least a partial concept of what worked -- and what didn't.

And that is the only real "silver lining" in this dark cloud.

Old 04-05-2020, 04:20 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,815,960 times
As mentioned in another posting today.....it is a good idea to take a breaks from all the news, forum threads, alarmist sounding headlines, predictions. Besides, nobody really knows for sure how this will pay out (unless they happen to have a crystal ball)

Old 04-05-2020, 04:23 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,919,706 times
and, of course, when things settle down/get resolved/cure/vaccine is found, what ever, the media will try to downplay it, because they are raking in the mega bucks with all the site clicks they are getting, and, their primary concern is to their shareholders NOT the general public..

Old 04-05-2020, 05:18 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
How about things in plastic like cases of water or soda? I’m thinking put those there too but wait 4 days since it can live on plastic for up to three days.
Per the same New England Journal of Medicine study, it survives only up to 72 hours on plastic. (And since these are controlled studies, they probably give the maximum time. In a garage where there's a lot of air circulating, it may be fewer hours.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I know 2 ER nurses that aren't washing down their food from the grocery store.
People buying produce that's been picked over--or sneezed on, or mangled by who knows how many people--and not rinsing it off fairly well are completely ignoring facts.

I went to the market today--hadn't been there in a week--and the checker kindly told me that they were no longer allowed to handle customers' recyclable bags, but that customers could bag their own groceries with them.

Old 04-05-2020, 05:47 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,815,960 times
I am primarily using Instacart to shop for and delivery my groceries. I have had to use grocery delivery services for my groceries for quite some time... because, driving or carrying a bag of groceries is out with my lumbar spine issues. Amazon/WholeFoods is swamped with orders now.....so, I gave up on using them. I do take some precautions with my delivery of groceries. I instruct the delivery person just to leave the grocery bags on my front door mat. I come out after he or she leaves. I rinse off well items like apples, I wash my hands after putting away my groceries and handling the bags the groceries come in. If something is in a hard plastic container, I rinse of the container wilth a mild soap solution.

Old 04-05-2020, 06:09 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I repeat what I posted a few weeks back: glad many of you weren’t in my unit overseas ... holy crap ... doom and gloom ... we’re all gonna die! ... just surrender now! Arrrrrrgggggggh!
OTOH, mutt....maybe the Surgeon General and Dr. Fauci are just trying to get people in this country to take this seriously. We try in California, but there are people in many other states who don't appear to be making the effort.

APRIL 5, 2020 2:22 PM
WASHINGTON --
As the U.S. coronavirus death toll neared 10,000 on Sunday, Surgeon Gen. Jerome Adams said the coming week would be “the hardest and saddest of most Americans’ lives,” likening the projected loss of life to “our Pearl Harbor moment, our 9/11 moment.”

Joining in that somber assessment was Anthony Fauci, the government’s top infectious disease expert, who predicted that the dimensions of the outbreak would be “shocking to some” over the next eight or nine days.

“Things are going to get bad, and we need to be prepared for that,” Fauci, perhaps the best-known member of the White House coronavirus task force, said on CBS’ “Face the Nation.”

He called on the country to “just buckle down, continue to mitigate, continue to do the physical separation, because we’ve got to get through this week that’s coming up.”

https://www.latimes.com/politics/sto...-general-warns
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California