Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2020, 07:48 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,143,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti announced an order Tuesday evening requiring all residents to wear a face covering when visiting essential businesses in hopes that it will protect workers and slow the spread of the coronavirus.

Effective Friday (4/10) at midnight, residents must wear a mask, bandanna or other type of covering over their noses and mouths when in grocery stores, restaurants, hotels, taxis, ride-hail vehicles and any other essential businesses.

“Cover up, save a life — it’s that simple,” Garcetti said.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...mayor-garcetti
How is he going to enforce it? Put a cop outside of every business? I will continue going without a mask

Old 04-07-2020, 08:30 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,815,960 times
I think the hope is the vast majority of people will see it as a civic duty and that we are all in this together, in regard to wearing some sort of mask. If somebody doesn't care about possibly putting others at risk by not wearing a mask.......I don't know what to say. It was sunny today. So, I went out and walked a bit on the block I live on.....as soon I saw somebody else walking on my block, I pulled the mask up from under my chin, over my mouth and face. I have a few N95 masks left over from a small box of them that I bought last August when a retrofit earthquake job was going on where I live

Old 04-07-2020, 08:42 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,815,960 times
short video

https://abc7news.com/health/uc-berke...1950s/6082265/

Old 04-07-2020, 10:28 PM

19,218 posts, read 16,701,480 times
Interesting video, tikkasf. I remember getting that vaccination when I was small. You could always tell who had and hadn't been vaccinated by the scar on our arm.

I, too, have a mask. I didn't even realize it until I was looking for something in the garage. I opened up one of the drawers where I store items for furniture refinishing and saw a brand new N95 mask sitting right next to the sandpaper. I felt like I'd won the lottery.

Old 04-07-2020, 10:51 PM

11,443 posts, read 626,119 times
Quote:
The media is saying this is the worst week yet and not to go to the store. They want to keep the frenzy going as long as possible. The swine flu under Obama killed more and no hysteria at all.
Yes and I feel bad for those who just blindly believe this!! (And sadly there are more of them than arent)

Old 04-07-2020, 10:58 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Logically and base on current numbers what you are saying do not pass the smell test. In one 1 year there was little over 12k in death from N1H1. That comes out to around 1k a month. That is way less compare to death rate that we are seeing with covid-19. It's not even possible to compare them. Not a single city shutdown because it wasn't needed.
Let's put that in perspective:
Quote:
In the U.S., between April 2009 and April 2010, the CDC estimates there were 60.8 million cases of swine flu, with over 274,000 hospitalizations and nearly 12,500 deaths — that's a mortality rate of about 0.02%. The mortality rate for the novel coronavirus is much higher so far, around 2% (although the number will likely change as more people are tested). That may not sound like a big difference, "but when extrapolated, can mean millions more deaths," Strathdee said.
https://www.livescience.com/covid-19...swine-flu.html

Old 04-08-2020, 03:32 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post

I, too, have a mask. I didn't even realize it until I was looking for something in the garage. I opened up one of the drawers where I store items for furniture refinishing and saw a brand new N95 mask sitting right next to the sandpaper. I felt like I'd won the lottery.
I found an unopened pack of 5 that date back to early last year's remodel on one of the rentals. In the same box, I found two brand new sealed cartridge filters for a mask respirator. They'd be a helluva lot more useful to me if I could find the respirator.

Old 04-08-2020, 04:02 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
[url]

I am not sure if this is the best time though to focus on whom to blame for our current situation........my feeling is there will be enough blame to go around........of course some will likely be more deserving of blame
**cough** China. Can you imagine the hue and cry from the rest of the world if this had started a few miles from Fort Detrick's United States Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases, a Biosafety Level 4 DoD laboratory equipped to study highly hazardous viruses? Wuhan hosts the National Biosafety Laboratory, a part of the Wuhan Institute of Virology, the only Biosafety Level 4 research lab in China, and it specializes in coronavirus research because that's what Level 4 facilities do.

China has some 'splainin to do.

Old 04-08-2020, 06:31 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
How is he going to enforce it? Put a cop outside of every business?
Enough about enforcement; you continue to complain about it. Post your issues about the legal aspects of this on a thread with that topic. Legalities about enforcement of certain edicts are probably the same in all counties in California:
Can a public health official deliver edicts? https://www.city-data.com/forum/san-...er-edicts.html

Old 04-08-2020, 06:51 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times
Regarding the issue of wearing masks whenever you go to an essential business, I'm all in favor of this. Why? Because my son works in a grocery store and I've been worried about him ever since this became a noticeable problem in mid-March. Are cloth face masks 100% effective? Of course not, but every little bit helps. And if you don't care about grocery store employees' health and safety, ask yourself who will be stocking the shelves and unloading the trucks if they all get sick!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California