Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2020, 03:43 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,454,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by landlock View Post
I saw the same thing happen, and it was store employee right in the crowded spot where everyone was doing self-checkout. But this is example of how exactly not to use a mask - most people are sane enough not to take one off to sneeze or cough.

Improper use is a symptom of self-made masks, which by virtue of being self-made, leave a lot of (literal) wiggle room.

Quote:
Masks significantly slow the infection, no doubt. This is the reason medical workers require them. All the people that are breathing and well talking in stores....people talk in stores, on the phones, to each other, families come out, and just breathing air out puts enough virus in the air, they have proven that.
Remember, I'm not opposed to masks with the exception of how it's enforced, especially where there's threats of jail time for noncompliance. That said, there is quite a bit of doubt and mixed messaging going around concerning the effectiveness of the general public wearing masks. CDC, NIH, WHO, etc. all share some blame for this. It makes sense in a medical environment with masks specifically designed for a purpose. But a person with a thin cotton bandana over their nose and mouth isn't the same thing at all. If viruses were the size of large water droplets, it would make sense. But a porous piece of material isn't going to contain what people breath in or out. The protection you'd want can't be obtained short of a canister respirator. What we've mandated with mask edicts, is essentially just portable sneeze guards and reminders not to touch our faces.

Old 04-28-2020, 03:56 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,454,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post

If people don’t want to go into those stores, then order items online or do curbside pick up. It’s really simple.

I love that this is becoming more and more of a thing, not because of covid, but because the laziness factor is right up my alley. If I could Lowes or HD to haul a bunch of lumber and stuff out to my truck while I took a snooze, I'd be in heaven (yeah I know they deliver but it's not the same thing).

Old 04-28-2020, 04:15 PM

19,218 posts, read 16,701,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
California businesses seen as presenting less risk of spreading the coronavirus could open in the near future under a plan Gov. Gavin Newsom unveiled on Tuesday, the first of several slow steps toward easing the statewide shutdown order.

“We believe we are weeks, not months, away from making meaningful modifications,” of the current restrictions, Newsom said.

But Newsom’s announcement of a four-phase plan did not come with a guaranteed timetable.
Funny how looking at this in written form sounds better than it did when he said it today. After watching his briefing this afternoon, I got the feeling this isn't going to end any time soon and it's very disappointing.

I guess what bothers me most is that he lumps the entire state together. While the counties in the bay area and southern CA have more cases and more deaths, we (meaning in my area) don't have as many and, in fact, no new deaths as of yesterday. We've experienced less than 50 people (still sad even at one, though). I don't know why we can't begin to open some businesses and see how it goes. This entire lock down of the state is really going to hurt all small business owners. Fact is, many owners closed their doors already and aren't going to reopen at all.

Old 04-28-2020, 04:28 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
I’m really touched. This is my first ignore. I’m throwing a party, less than 10 people, masks are optional.
Hey, it's a par-tay, bruh! Have fun with that. How about a bicycling party, bruh? Or hey, rent one of those carts that's like a bar and everybody pedals and drinks booze at the same time...party on!

Old 04-28-2020, 04:34 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,047,727 times
holy crap.

Gavin wants to babysit us for months before opening.

extreme babysitting.

Quote:
The next phase, Stage 3, is "months, not weeks, away," Newsom said.
That stage will encompass personal care businesses like gyms, spas and salons, sports without live audiences, in-person religious services and other businesses where workers come in close contact with customers.

And the final phase, Stage 4, will see the end of the stay-at-home order with the reopening of the "highest risk parts of our economy" being reopened, Newsom said on Twitter. That includes concerts, convention centers and sports with live crowds.
Newsom said that stage would come only "once therapeutics have been developed."

this dude is gonna single-handedly F things up.

Stage 4, in 2023.

Thanks a lot Gavin. This is silly

Old 04-28-2020, 04:38 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Hey, it's a par-tay, bruh! Have fun with that. How about a bicycling party, bruh? Or hey, rent one of those carts that's like a bar and everybody pedals and drinks booze at the same time...party on!
As long as they’re aren’t any masks, of course!

Old 04-28-2020, 04:41 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
holy crap.

extreme babysitting.

Stage 4, in 2023.

Uh, no. Sorry, I’m not sheltering in place for months. Let him try to enforce it.

Old 04-28-2020, 04:58 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,143,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
holy crap.

extreme babysitting.

Stage 4, in 2023.

He is crazy. Other states already reopened gyms, salons etc. Basically court will be forced to end stay at home order.

Old 04-28-2020, 05:13 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Funny how looking at this in written form sounds better than it did when he said it today.
Yes, one reason I gave up watching any of this on television.

Quote:
I guess what bothers me most is that he lumps the entire state together.
I didn't get that impression from the article; he said that not all regions of the state would be allowed to loosen the shutdown rules at the same time.

Quote:
I don't know why we can't begin to open some businesses and see how it goes.
From the article, Two additional phases are envisioned in his new plan, including reopening hair salons and personal care businesses...

Old 04-28-2020, 05:21 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,047,727 times
What irritates me is that Gavin is using a strict textbook approach, and this thing needs to be played by ear, with some experimentation.

He's unwilling to take any non-textbook risks.

1. He wants to wait for enough testing equipment, but not enough to test our entire 40million population. You're waiting for nothing, bro.

Enough testing is physically impossible. We don't have the manpower or the equipment to expeditiously test 40 million people.

goddamn.

it's feeling like extreme OCD. I wonder what his testing timeline is, because that's an impossible task

The guidelines should be simple.
The primary purpose of flattening the curve was to lower hospital capacity, not prevent infection.

As long as hospitals around california remain empty or below capacity, open things back up quickly.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...e-in-san-diego

hospitals are still empty.

Someone needs to ask Gavin about the hospital capacity across the state, because this overcautious, restrictive, reluctance to open feels like (i hate to use the term) fake news, considering all these hospitals are not even struggling.

Last edited by oh come on!; 04-28-2020 at 05:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California