Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2020, 09:19 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,453,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerT55 View Post
People are such freaking lemmings.

Newsom and SF mayor Breed go dine at the French Laundry. LA Supervisor Kuehl warns everyone about restaurants, votes to ban dining and immediately goes out to dine at a restaurant, Pelosi gets her hair done against restrictions and everyone else is supposed to obey?

If anyone thinks this is the first time these people have done this, they’re dumber than I thought. And to all of you that say two wrongs don’t make a right or we have to follow restrictions even if they don’t, you’re an idiot.

They make these rules, break them and laugh behind your back at how stupid you are. Most people aren’t going to follow these restrictions much longer. Time to start ignoring the politicians who couldn’t care less about the people.

How many times has Newsom told the public that by following the rules, things would gradually return to normal? And how many times has he shifted the blame for the failure of these ineffective policies to those who aren't being team players? For him to go and be part of the very problem he describes is beyond bad optics. The worst part will be if at some point we really need a stricter approach, that everybody will have been conditioned by all the past crying wolf and ignore all directives then. I'm fine with dismissing the politicians when they're just politicking but this is more than that. But I don't believe we should ignore reasonable, simple advice like wearing masks or limiting public outing as much as possible, just because these so-called "leaders" aren't setting the example. The more extreme policies haven't worked in nine months though and there's no rhyme or reason to things like the color code nonsense. That's where policy deserves the most scrutiny which thankfully is happening in the courts now.

Old 12-02-2020, 10:45 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Why would that be any worse now than before?
From the L.A. thread on this topic:

One out of every 145 people in L.A. County is currently infectious with the disease, according to a model released by health officials Wednesday (11/25). This is a big jump from just two months ago, when the rate was estimated at 1 in 880 Angelenos.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ion-prevalence

Think of how few people were probably infectious six months ago.

Old 12-02-2020, 10:52 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
How many times has Newsom told the public that by following the rules, things would gradually return to normal?
But obviously a lot of people aren't--and haven't been--following the rules (all we have to do is read what some post on C-D).

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
The more extreme policies haven't worked in nine months
There were no extreme policies, just directives. And just recently, how many people do you know that actually kept to the two family units or fewer, dining outside recommendation for Thankgiving dinner? I hate to say how many people I know IRL who ignored this directive.

Old 12-02-2020, 10:52 AM

21,737 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerT55 View Post
You said it better than I did. I’m all for masks and social distancing, but forget all the closures and bans. Any new shutdowns should be ignored and all shutdowns lifted. It’s been clear time and again they don’t work.
Great to read we can ignore everyone in the field of epidemiology and go with anonymous social media expertise!

Old 12-02-2020, 10:54 AM

21,737 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
But obviously a lot of people aren't--and haven't been--following the rules (all we have to do is read what some post on C-D).
No kidding ...

Old 12-02-2020, 10:58 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
From the L.A. thread on this topic:

One out of every 145 people in L.A. County is currently infectious with the disease, according to a model released by health officials Wednesday (11/25). This is a big jump from just two months ago, when the rate was estimated at 1 in 880 Angelenos.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ion-prevalence

Think of how few people were probably infectious six months ago.
But why? If Southern Californians aren't really rushing indoors like other parts of the country what's driving the higher number of infectious people?

Old 12-02-2020, 11:28 AM

California Democrats urged people to stay home - and then did the opposite at restaurants and holiday parties

"Despite pleading with residents to stay home to slow the spread of coronavirus - which has killed at least 269,000 people in the United States - those very same lawmakers have ignored state and local rules, attending large holiday gatherings or indoor birthday celebrations. In one case, two politicians' dinners took place on consecutive nights at the same pricey restaurant in Napa Valley."

And they'll all probably get reelected too lol

Old 12-02-2020, 11:52 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
Quote:
Why would that be any worse now than before?
Asymptomatic transmission from kids in school.

Old 12-02-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Asymptomatic transmission from kids in school.
Are any public school districts in LA County even doing in-person learning? LA County never left the purple tier I thought. I haven't seen anything to suggest school kids are driving the recent spread. Most articles I've seen have said it's pretty insignificant so far.

Old 12-02-2020, 12:41 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
Quote:
Are any public school districts in LA County even doing in-person learning? LA County never left the purple tier I thought. I haven't seen anything to suggest school kids are driving the recent spread. Most articles I've seen have said it's pretty insignificant so far.
20 public schools have students on campus, this suggests.
https://edsource.org/2020/why-los-an...ampuses/643453
I estimate that that is up to 10,000 children in Los Angeles learning in person.

If kids aren't being tested, that is guessing and hoping for the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California