Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2020, 10:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Not to be bias in any way but in my observation it appears more progressive parts of the country regardless of population density tend to be hit the hardest.

Those states and population seems to be living under the strongest pressure of "eco control freaks"
Weaker "green" detergents/disinfectants, straws**k movements, disposable utencils bans, encouraging reusable bags these days. All these factors had made the pandemic and disease transmission issues much worse. There was a good reason why people do not want to put their lips on communal restaurant cups.

I am not surprised why it spread so quickly on two Princess ships as last time I taken Princess Cruises, I was surprised why such a nice sounding line would be so bad. The toilets/all of them constantly smelled of sewage, tableware actually looked dirty, cups especially, and yet the waiter would lecture you of their skip a straw program and deny any requests for straws, despite how they say straws are still available upon request.

I am hoping to gain attention of leaders of California, Gavin Newsom and the others of these articles, and suspend indefinitely any state or local ordinances on bags, straws, and any other sanitary disposable items. And any mandatory fees on them as well. Seeing that San Francisco Bay Area suffered the greatest they also had the most progressive policies and first to bend down to eco lobbyists on those ordinances during the last eight years which made the area far more filthy than ever before. Remember many of those disposable items were pushed for health and safety during the hepatitis and other disease outbreak in the 1980s. Apparently modern day progressives forget all lessons learned and brain wash people into going back to their old ways and punish them for not doing so.

Read these articles:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-pla...es-11584399666
The Plastic Bag Ban Backfires – APK METRO
https://www.forbes.com/sites/patrick.../#3d62f65e464d
https://progressivegrocer.com/covid-...le-use-plastic
https://www.asicentral.com/news/news...astic-bag-ban/
https://wgme.com/news/local/watervil...onavirus-fears

If you want to save the environment there are much better ways in today's age of technology than coercing behavior change. I.e stores could simply be equipped with a variety of bin liner sized/trash disposal/recycle friendly tie handled bags(half of them the compostable type) and traditional sized bags(little more durable than the cheapest they can find), And teach clerks how to bag using the appropriate bags and amount, i.e items with sharp edges(that punch holes in plastic film) in paper bags,
And teach residents how to properly reuse the bags to dispose of garbage and recycling, which groceries are going to generate anyways.
Have restaurants provide compostable containers microwavable, and offer customers a choice of paper, edible, and compostable straws.
I hope politicians all over the country and world come to their senses with this pandemic and learn why disposable items are necessary in the first place. And issue immediate executive orders to suspend such ordinances at all jurisdictions level within their ruling area indefinitely. And to prohibit reusable bags, cups, and utencils from food servicing establishments.

Stores should also take among their own initative to block reusable bags from entering as well
https://krcgtv.com/news/local/hy-vee...-reusable-bags
I know Starbucks now stopped the practice of having barstas fill up reusable cups.
Many of those infected on Princess were employee not passengers. As for the toilets smelling, etc I have been on several Princess cruises and never experienced this. Just check the inspection sites by the CDC for Princess and then continue to think they are unsanitary. I will add, I am not a fan of Princess at all, but certainly not due to their lack of cleanliness.

Old 03-20-2020, 11:17 AM

4,169 posts, read 2,144,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
What do you mean it is the wrong thing to do? What would you suggest? I haven't seen you come up with any brilliant ideas. Too late, maybe, but it is better to be late than sorry. So it sounds like you are saying, don't bother, he economy and our investments are worth more than the number of people who will be saved by the shut down. No one likes it, maybe it is over reaction, but stop trying to push this off onto our politicians and just follow the suggestions and use common sense.

Maybe it's over reaction? That is most underrated statement of the century. It's way over reaction base on one study. Basically we currently have state like California that is screaming bloody murder and we have state like Texas that is saying everything is okay, this is not a big deal keep going about your business. They are still planning on doing weeding there and other states are in between California and Texas. This virus will keep going in waves and locking people for 8 weeks or whatever the time California will do it for is not going to work. We basically threw away the constitution, the economy etc and done what Italy,France etc are doing.

Old 03-20-2020, 11:21 AM

456 posts, read 240,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Maybe it's over reaction? That is most underrated statement of the century. It's way over reaction base on one study. Basically we currently have state like California that is screaming bloody murder and we have state like Texas that is saying everything is okay, this is not a big deal keep going about your business. They are still planning on doing weeding there and other states are in between California and Texas. This virus will keep going in waves and locking people for 8 weeks or whatever the time California will do it for is not going to work. We basically threw away the constitution, the economy etc and done what Italy,France etc are doing.
Not exactly true in TX.

Old 03-20-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolanders View Post
Not exactly true in TX.

Which part? As of yesterday 8 states didn't take any real measure with Texas being one of the states.

Old 03-20-2020, 11:23 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,361,136 times
Quote:
Do try to keep up ... as of yesterday:

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott closes bars, restaurants and schools as he anticipates tens of thousands could test positive for coronavirus

Abbott disclosed that estimate hours after he took sweeping action to stop the virus' spread.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/03...d-greg-abbott/

Old 03-20-2020, 11:24 AM

456 posts, read 240,163 times
Quote:
Which part? As of yesterday 8 states didn't take any real measure with Texas being one of the states.
Schools have been closed for awhile. No groups of 10+ are allowed to meet. No one can eat at restaurants, delivery or to go only. As Tulemutt posted bars, restaurants closed.

Old 03-20-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Do try to keep up ... as of yesterday:

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott closes bars, restaurants and schools as he anticipates tens of thousands could test positive for coronavirus

Abbott disclosed that estimate hours after he took sweeping action to stop the virus' spread.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/03...d-greg-abbott/

So we are down to 7 states. Still we are not seeing California lock down in any states except California.

Old 03-20-2020, 11:32 AM

19,221 posts, read 16,705,467 times
Quote:
So we are down to 7 states. Still we are not seeing California lock down in any states except California.
I don't know where you live but in my county, schools are closed until April and it could be longer, depending on how bad things get. Retail stores in our downtown area are all closed, too. No sense in staying open when no one is shopping. Sorry for being dense but I don't understand what you mean when you make the comment about not seeing California lock down in any states except California. How does a lockdown for California affect any other state?

Old 03-20-2020, 11:40 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,691,467 times
Quote:
Are you sure about that?

New York’s governor ordered the state’s residents to stay indoors and most businesses to keep workers at home.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/w...#link-6df1842a

Old 03-20-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Are you sure about that?

New York’s governor ordered the state’s residents to stay indoors and most businesses to keep workers at home.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/w...#link-6df1842a

Not counting New York. It was ID, Wyoming and some other states. Texas was also on that list at that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California