Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2021, 02:07 PM

8,351 posts, read 5,502,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Vaccine-salvation people Until now, I didn't realize how common they are. Holding us back maybe nearly as much as anti-vaxxers. Vaccines were never meant to work well without other precautions, and the science isn't capable of making coronavirus vaccines that work well alone.
Oh well.

It takes an extraordinarily stupid person to believe in Covid zero. This is a virus that will be around long after were all dead, just in a much different form. Life must go on and that includes interactions with other people, flying, going to bars and restaurants, and gathering for holidays.

Old 12-15-2021, 02:27 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
Nobody has to fly, go to bars, etc., except if they work there.

And of course I never said COVID zero. But there can be minimal cases, as in for example China now.

Bring on the required testing.

Old 12-15-2021, 02:31 PM

8,351 posts, read 5,502,221 times
Quote:

And of course I never said COVID zero. But there can be minimal cases, as in for example China now.

China is authoritarian and to be honest a lot of your posts advocate authoritarianism.

If democracy isnt your thing, you should consider an authoritarian country.

Old 12-15-2021, 02:34 PM

3,079 posts, read 1,745,013 times
Quote:
But if no one is flying or going to bars, why would we need the people who work there to go in?

Old 12-15-2021, 03:10 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:

How do you feel about people traveling to Tijuana to shop and go to bars?

Old 12-15-2021, 03:14 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,815,179 times
Quote:

I think that may have been the hope early on and even some talk of herd immunity.......but, where we are now in the pandemic.... goal may need to be more modest. Though I don't think we are where we need to be yet....when you have situations like this:

"hospitals around the state continue to delay surgeries as the coronavirus patients crowd hospitals."

https://apnews.com/article/coronavir...a4e93c9115070e

Old 12-15-2021, 03:22 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
Vaccine-salvation people Until now, I didn't realize how common they are.
There is no outright "salvation", but vaccines offer us a clinical remedy, a way that works in concert with our bodies, as opposed to insipid (but annoying) face-diapers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
China is authoritarian and to be honest a lot of your posts advocate authoritarianism.
One detects more than a whiff of such sentiment amongst the "health and safety hawks". The assertion goes, that if at least some people are going to be casual about health-measures... and assuredly SOME will always thus behave - then the authorities must step-in, if necessary with a harsh response, affecting us all. This is the attitude of the kids in 5th grade, who are quietly sitting at their desks, bemoaning the rowdy kids in the rear, and sanctimoniously inviting the teacher to intervene. The same mindset, one supposed, applied to the national 55 mph speed limit. And what that speed limit was rescinded, we saw what happened... or more properly, what didn't happen!

The contrary view is to ackowledge that life is uncertain and health is uncertain. Sure, there can be rank stupidity that threatens us all, but how often is this? And how intense is the threat? Setting politics aside, we've become so skittish and risk-averse, that we voluntarily surrended our quality of life, and get irate when others don't share our voluntarism. Perhaps the skittish folk ought to consider, that in their zeal for maximum safety, they are antagonizing the moderates, who otherwise may have sympathized with their concerns, but who having gotten so exasperated with such extreme skittishness, have been driven into the embrace of the opposite extreme!

Old 12-15-2021, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
How do you feel about people traveling to Tijuana to shop and go to bars?
How do I feel about obnoxious posts?

Pretending the question was serious, Mexico should be mostly off limits to Americans, and Mexicans shouldn't be allowed in here either. That country is a COVID disaster.

Old 12-15-2021, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
But if no one is flying or going to bars, why would we need the people who work there to go in?
I see someone neither reads carefully nor understands the uses of airplanes.

Here's an idea:
Air buses get converted to mostly cargo planes, with just a small number of passengers allowed on them. Federal government can partly subsidize the conversions and operating costs and pay money to laid-off workers, and higher ticket prices can fill the gap.

Also, if they don't already exist, insurance exclusions for disease-related consequences of international travel.

Travel as a hobby has to stop.

Bars don't need to be completely shut. For example, there are outdoor bars, and some bars can be permitted to sell to-go items. And before that, moderate capacity limits are an option.

Europe is moving that way, because for this type of situation authoritarianism works. The USA eventually will do the same, unless major medical advancements arrive first. Already a nice batch of so-called therapeutics are coming. Mix it all with regular testing, and cases will drop dramatically.

Old 12-15-2021, 06:28 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
How do I feel about obnoxious posts?

Pretending the question was serious, Mexico should be mostly off limits to Americans, and Mexicans shouldn't be allowed in here either. That country is a COVID disaster.
These obnoxious posts must not bother you because you are leading the pack with them. I just asked because in the San Diego forum a bunch of people are still going down and partying like Covid doesn't exist. YET, still claim we aren't doing enough here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California