Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2021, 06:30 PM

3,080 posts, read 1,747,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I see someone neither reads carefully nor understands the uses of airplanes.

Here's an idea:
Air buses get converted to mostly cargo planes, with just a small number of passengers allowed on them. Federal government can partly subsidize the conversions and operating costs and pay money to laid-off workers, and higher ticket prices can fill the gap.

Also, if they don't already exist, insurance exclusions for disease-related consequences of international travel.

Travel as a hobby has to stop.

Bars don't need to be completely shut. For example, there are outdoor bars, and some bars can be permitted to sell to-go items. And before that, moderate capacity limits are an option.

Europe is moving that way, because for this type of situation authoritarianism works. The USA eventually will do the same, unless major medical advancements arrive first. Already a nice batch of so-called therapeutics are coming. Mix it all with regular testing, and cases will drop dramatically.
I see someone doesn't understand how basic economies work...

Quote:
The USA eventually will do the same, unless major medical advancements arrive first. Already a nice batch of so-called therapeutics are coming. Mix it all with regular testing, and cases will drop dramatically.
Correction: The blue states may do this. And even then, I'm not sure all blue states would do it. California? Probablby. For the red states, covid is in the rear view mirror.

Old 12-15-2021, 06:38 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,885,622 times
Unless airport screening is excellent (and excellence isn't exactly common here), Omicron is in the future.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/europe-so...192800682.html

Europe is enacting many "stringent measures."

“I need to be very clear: Vaccines alone will not get any country out of this crisis,” said Tedros. “It’s not vaccines instead of masks, distancing, ventilation or hand hygiene. Do it all. Do it consistently. Do it well.”

Some Americans will learn the hard way, and some freedoms will fade in the process.

Old 12-15-2021, 06:42 PM

13,657 posts, read 9,720,920 times
Quote:
Travel as a hobby has to stop.
Let's go further! Sex as a hobby has to stop. Too much STD transmission, not to mention unwanted pregnancies or fraught human-relations.

Driving as a hobby needs to stop too. Pollution, congestion, global warming. Not to mention traffic-fatalities. Instead, walk, or ride your donkey... I mean, as transportation. Otherwise it would contravene our already-enumerated restriction.

Old 12-15-2021, 06:45 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,816,465 times
Research into developing a nasal vaccine. I posted a article about 2 months ago regarding researchers at Stanford also working on a nasal vaccine.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2784523

Quote:
All COVID-19 vaccines now in use are injected into muscle, producing antibodies that circulate in the blood but aren’t necessarily present in the nose and nasal passages, suggesting that vaccinated individuals could still become infected and transmit the virus. Previous studies in rhesus monkeys showed that the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine, which isn’t authorized for use in the US, protected against pneumonia but did not reduce shedding from their upper respiratory tract.

Old 12-15-2021, 06:53 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,455,778 times
Quote:
I'm not getting any regular testing. I don't see anything free, quick, and convenient. I'm in I believe the lowest-risk category above shut-in. The gym is the only possibly risky place I regularly spend a moderate amount of time in, I mask up and don't converse in there, and now it's enforcing the vaccine passport. If the government or gym were to ask me to be tested regularly, I'd act differently. Or if someone here who is vaxxed and wants to live life to the fullest is willing to make a deal, I'll get tested more if that person will.

Did you even look?
It's not like it's hard to find.
I only wondered because you seem to want everyone else to bend to your will but aren't putting much effort into anything within your own control, which is purely you and your actions. And as I said, I'm fully vaccinated (three shots) and have been testing since last December on a biweekly schedule, and a weekly one since April. So there's your deal.

Old 12-15-2021, 07:23 PM

19,221 posts, read 16,705,467 times
Quote:
How do I feel about obnoxious posts?

Pretending the question was serious, Mexico should be mostly off limits to Americans, and Mexicans shouldn't be allowed in here either. That country is a COVID disaster.
Well said and when you can get this state's rulers - scratch that, I mean legislators to realize that and stop the inflow, maybe you'll get more cooperation from those who are less thrilled about the mandates.

Old 12-15-2021, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
or ride your donkey... I mean, as transportation. Otherwise it would contravene our already-enumerated restriction.

Old 12-15-2021, 07:50 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,885,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Did you even look?
It's not like it's hard to find.
I only wondered because you seem to want everyone else to bend to your will but aren't putting much effort into anything within your own control, which is purely you and your actions. And as I said, I'm fully vaccinated (three shots) and have been testing since last December on a biweekly schedule, and a weekly one since April. So there's your deal.
I hadn't looked on that site, but I just did and it says nothing within 10 miles. Which probably is inaccurate, but if it's true, that's an outrageously big hole in free testing. I might ask someone outside this website, but I expect to be told my risk is too low to get tested routinely.

Edit: yeah, it is an error. The mile radius feature doesn't work correctly. Later I'll look into my options further.

What researchers badly need to do is randomly screen double-or-more vaccinated rarely-or-never tested people for the special antibody that only comes from infection, to get an idea of how many never-diagnosed breakthrough cases are happening. I'd gladly be checked for that.

Last edited by goodheathen; 12-15-2021 at 07:58 PM..

Old 12-15-2021, 08:08 PM

Quote:
I hadn't looked on that site, but I just did and it says nothing within 10 miles. Which probably is inaccurate, but if it's true, that's an outrageously big hole in free testing. I might ask someone outside this website, but I expect to be told my risk is too low to get tested routinely.

Edit: yeah, it is an error. The mile radius feature doesn't work correctly. Later I'll look into my options further.

What researchers badly need to do is randomly screen double-or-more vaccinated rarely-or-never tested people for the special antibody that only comes from infection, to get an idea of how many never-diagnosed breakthrough cases are happening. I'd gladly be checked for that.
Why not just use the home tests? If it's solely to make sure you're not sick so you can be around other people, does it need to be on record?

Old 12-15-2021, 08:13 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,069,940 times
There is NO place around here with quick, cheap testing. My local place charges fifty a pop and min two day results turn around. If you are flying you have to try and find the same there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California