Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 10:26 AM

2,379 posts, read 1,816,465 times

Advertisements

I would suggest giving some consideration to Marin County. I am not familiar with southern CA.....last time I was in that area of the state, I was a toddler & Ike was in the White House.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2020, 11:12 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,703,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
Your desire for low guns, educated and well off pretty much say you are from the mink and manure crowd. Learjet liberals.

Is there anyone, of any political stripe, in the world who doesn't want their neighbors lightly unarmed, educated, and rich?

I mean do you want to live next to someone who is heavily-armed, uneducated, and poor?

I know I certainly want my neighbors to be richer, with more education, and fewer guns than I have. That raises my property value, gives my kids a decent chance at making smart friends in a safe environment, and makes my house/car/property a less appealing target for crime.

Old 06-01-2020, 11:51 AM

1,255 posts, read 1,056,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoYourDuty View Post

I am looking for a place where there are:

-excellent neighborhood schools
-Highly educated people
-people are wealthy but not preoccupied with making more and more and are simple people (yet not old either meaning in their 30s and 40s)? Relationships are valued.
-really nice climate. I don’t care if it has 4 seasons or not I do not like cold or snow)
-beautiful, water, mountains, etc..
-Good or average for allergy sufferers
-low gun ownership
-within 1 or so hours of an international airport
-socially left leaning (fiscal conservative is fine)
-good place for seniors AND good for kids too
-ethnically diverse
-I would like to own a home on water
-since we will be new, accepting people. I have read of some places that people have a hard time making friends.

Thank you
Ojai, California.

It would be perfect for you!

If that is too rural, then I would look at Thousand Oaks.

Old 06-01-2020, 01:20 PM

31 posts, read 18,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post

Is there anyone, of any political stripe, in the world who doesn't want their neighbors lightly unarmed, educated, and rich?

I mean do you want to live next to someone who is heavily-armed, uneducated, and poor?

I know I certainly want my neighbors to be richer, with more education, and fewer guns than I have. That raises my property value, gives my kids a decent chance at making smart friends in a safe environment, and makes my house/car/property a less appealing target for crime.
I agree but ignored him/her. I do not hunt and in a civilized world one should not need a gun to protect himself/herself from another person so people like me should not need a gun. Sometimes I wish I could just pack up and move to Vancouver, BC.

Old 06-01-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
I would suggest giving some consideration to Marin County. I am not familiar with southern CA.....last time I was in that area of the state, I was a toddler & Ike was in the White House.
Are you Desi? What do you know of Tiburon/Moss Beach?

Old 06-01-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
Ojai, California.

It would be perfect for you!

If that is too rural, then I would look at Thousand Oaks.
Thanks, yes I believe Ojai may be too rural/sleepy.

Are there any places in the LA metropolitan area that are very green?

Old 06-01-2020, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Are you Desi? What do you know of Tiburon/Moss Beach?

Who is Desi ? Yes, I have been over to Tiburon many times & also Belvedere, Mill Valley and just about every city/town in Marin

https://www.zillow.com/belvedere-ca/

Old 06-01-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
I posted this in the general US forum and it seemed to point towards CA do I’m posting it here again. I am trying to find a place with better climate, scenery and for allergies. I grew up in the south, and my family is comprised of myself, wife, young children and older parents (active and independent as of now). I do not need a job. I do not think money would preclude my ability to move somewhere.

While I love the people of the south, I do not like the fact that many are less educated/sophisticated/worldly, the gun culture, the allergies (I have mildly bad allergies), the climate, the lack of natural beauty. I have also created a lifestyle (my fault) that is not how I want to continue for my children to grow up in. I grew up in the 80s and nineties in a middle class suburb where the neighborhood kids would ride around our bikes and have sleepovers, play basketball and hang out at each other’s houses. I want my kids to have some semblance of this but they do not. They go to private school where kids live all over the city and we do not talk to our neighbors. I am getting sick of the material lifestyle and want my kids to appreciate a good work ethic and values.

I am looking for a place where there are:

-excellent neighborhood schools
-Highly educated people
-people are wealthy but not preoccupied with making more and more and are simple people (yet not old either meaning in their 30s and 40s)? Relationships are valued.
-really nice climate. I don’t care if it has 4 seasons or not I do not like cold or snow)
-beautiful, water, mountains, etc..
-Good or average for allergy sufferers
-low gun ownership
-within 1 or so hours of an international airport
-socially left leaning (fiscal conservative is fine)
-good place for seniors AND good for kids too
-ethnically diverse
-I would like to own a home on water
-since we will be new, accepting people. I have read of some places that people have a hard time making friends.

Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
Who is Desi ? Yes, I have been over to Tiburon many times & also Belvedere, Mill Valley and just about every city/town in Marin

https://www.zillow.com/belvedere-ca/
I saw homes in that area as well. Do you think Marin County will meet my criteria? Any particular neighborhoods on the water and with young kids?

Politically, as stated, I am left leaning but that is by Southern standards. I don’t know whether to believe it but have heard the Bay Area is extremely left? I have a feeling that left leaning in the South might be centrist or even slight right leaning in CA. This matters too because moving to a new area we do need to develop a new social circle with like minded people.

Also do the pictures give a good idea of the views and greenery of the area? Looks really beautiful.

Old 06-01-2020, 02:10 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,280,482 times
Quote:
I saw homes in that area as well. Do you think Marin County will meet my criteria? Any particular neighborhoods on the water and with young kids?

Politically, as stated, I am left leaning but that is by Southern standards. I don’t know whether to believe it but have heard the Bay Area is extremely left? I have a feeling that left leaning in the South might be centrist or even slight right leaning in CA. This matters too because moving to a new area we do need to develop a new social circle with like minded people.

Also do the pictures give a good idea of the views and greenery of the area? Looks really beautiful.
You might want to look up Rancho Santa Fe in San Diego county. It’s a very wealthy area and I remember many homes had lots of acreage with horses. I can’t remember if it was very green, but very wealthy. It’s pretty close to the coast.

Old 06-01-2020, 02:17 PM

Quote:

I think areas of Marin are worth consideration by you. I also, think you might be putting a bit too much emphasis on political leanings of the area. Yes, the BA is strongly Left leaning. But, how would that affect your life on a day to day basis ? I think you can rest assured, that all the centrist or Right leaning individuals have not run away from Marin or BA as a whole. One of the most conservative people I know, lives in SF in the Potrero Hill area. I asked him one time if he considered moving because of the politics of SF....he thought for a few seconds, before answering. His answer was "no". He then went on to mention what he liked: his neighborhood, the scenic outdoor hiking areas that could be found in the Bay Area, the weather, the restaurants, the music scene (one of his hobbies was he played in a band and wrote some music of his own), liked his day job and so forth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California