Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2020, 07:29 PM

4,321 posts, read 6,281,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
You answered your own question which are both very nice states and it you asked a question I wasn’t even responding to with the other post
Florida is great in the winter time. Summers are awful and most people there are trashy.

Hawaii is beautiful but a bit too isolated for my tastes. Wouldn't mind buying a vacation condo there though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2020, 07:41 PM

11,460 posts, read 5,989,164 times
I have wanted to leave California for 20 years due to high cost for everything, overcrowding and congestion, oppressive regulations, asinine and nonsensical restrictive laws, political correctness, nanny-state fiscal irresponsibility, and a baffling electorate giving away their freedom and rights at every turn.

I finally retired this year. But for Covid 19, I would already be gone to South Carolina or Tennessee. I can't leave the People's Democratic Republic of California and return to the USA soon enough. I am tired of operating behind enemy lines.

Most people who stay in California due so for jobs, climate, and family. Lots and lots are leaving so either they no longer need a job (retired), or climate alone is not enough, or family is either dying off or moving away.

I don't know how many people stay here for the scenic beauty, beaches, mountains, & etc. but I am sure it is more than a few.

Old 08-27-2020, 07:50 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,555,450 times
My question would be, "Why do people not want to live in California?"
I love California and would be there right now if not for my wife. I've lived in San Diego, LA, and San Francisco.
I learned to surf there when I was 16, had a great group of surfing buddies and miss them dearly. Since I don't do facebook stuff, I can only imagine how they are doing.
I've seen about 40 states in the union, and California is the one I'd keep going back to. Its natural beauty and my love of the Pacific will always draw me towards her, and lets not forget the redwoods. Sequoias, General Sherman. Felt like I died and went to heaven. People who complain about California are of course, entitled to do so, but I envy those of you who are "home."

Strangely, my wife has plenty of family there, but loves the state of Florida (it's tropical)...and no man is happy if their wife isn't, so...here I am. "California Dreaming."

Last edited by TerraDown; 08-27-2020 at 08:38 PM..

Old 08-27-2020, 07:50 PM

11,460 posts, read 5,989,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Yeah, but based on your posts on finances, you know it's a lie--or at least an exaggeration. Up to a certain point, money definitely does buy happiness.
Hence the famous response, "Money can't buy happiness, but it sure helps."

Old 08-27-2020, 08:05 PM

6,791 posts, read 4,236,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Palm Desert, as I think you acknowledged in the next paragraph, is not in the IE. Not sure why you brought it up.

Technically I was talking in general terms about California inland east of the coastal ranges..which is more true of the Coachella Valley than of Murrieta or Corona which are in between mountain ranges and still get more of the Pacific influence.

I could have brought up El Centro too, I suppose, but Palm Desert is closer to L.A. and thus a more realistic option for your classic L.A. kid who's ready to settle down but can't really afford to buy in the area they grew up in. And the reality is that the affordable parts of the IE are not exactly desirable. Meanwhile the better parts already have house prices of well over 500k typically - and 300-400k buys you a big house with pool in a solid area in Phoenix.

Old 08-27-2020, 08:13 PM

6,791 posts, read 4,236,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Why don’t you go swimming in your bathing suit on Jan 1st along with the polar plungers and report back to us.

I said nothing about mid-winter. It was a general comment. You can swim in water temps over 60 degrees and that's the case much of the year in Southern California waters.

Old 08-27-2020, 08:14 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,642,722 times
How come no one ever asks people in South Dakota why they haven't moved away?

Oh, that's right, there aren't many people in South Dakota (800,000 give or take total).

40 million people live in California -- more than any other state in America. We all have different and individual reasons for calling California home. There isn't a single answer to the question of why live in California; there are 40 million of them. And we can't all be wrong about choosing to live here.

So why do people who've moved away from California keep asking us to explain why we haven't moved away too?

You're happy where ever you moved. That's great; I'm happy for you.

I'm happy where I am (in California).

Why can't you just be happy for us?

In any case, don't worry about California. We'll be fine without you. Enjoy life -- I know I am!

Last edited by RosieSD; 08-27-2020 at 09:00 PM..

Old 08-27-2020, 09:13 PM

482 posts, read 901,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
People in California are weather wimps. There I said it..
Have to agree that, and we cant stand mosquitoes! I leave the state and I'm eaten alive. Find me a place without them and no humidity.

Old 08-27-2020, 09:19 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
How come no one ever asks people in South Dakota why they haven't moved away?

Oh, that's right, there aren't many people in South Dakota (800,000 give or take total).

40 million people live in California -- more than any other state in America. We all have different and individual reasons for calling California home. There isn't a single answer to the question of why live in California; there are 40 million of them. And we can't all be wrong about choosing to live here.

So why do people who've moved away from California keep asking us to explain why we haven't moved away too?

You're happy where ever you moved. That's great; I'm happy for you.

I'm happy where I am (in California).

Why can't you just be happy for us?

In any case, don't worry about California. We'll be fine without you. Enjoy life -- I know I am!
Hehehehe. Great question. I actually feel special. There sure as hell are a lot of people worried about what California an Californians are doing and why. .... why the hell does it matter to them so much what Californians do? Most of them never even lived here. And the ones that did...left. Christ move the hell on with your life.

I have never cared why people stay or move from whatever state. It’s not my tragedy or my life.
When I move from California I will be asking questions as to whatever states I look to move and hopefully get some answers. Once I move I’m not going to care why someone else is staying in Ca. Not my business

Old 08-27-2020, 09:20 PM

21,734 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
People in California are weather wimps. There I said it.
Heh ... well, some of us who live in California lived plenty bad weather before ...
Signed: ‘Happy to not be in Minnesota Anymore’
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California