Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2020, 12:37 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,023,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Again: so what?

Why does California need to gain or retain so many damn people? We’re the most productive state in the union as it is. And I personally don’t see why it’s important to even be number 1 in that regard. What is this, some kind of high school football rivalry? “We’re #1! We’re #1! Yay us!” Who cares?

Do you like living in California? If so, congratulations on being happy here. If not: move. Simple.
There are MANY legitimate and important reasons to track and understand population trends. Social scientists, public servants, economists, planners, businesses, educators, etc. etc. really need to know why people are coming and going and who these people are (characteristically).

It appears you only think this is about some peepee match, which sometimes it might be. On an individual level, sure, who cares if someone stays or goes, but on the macro level trends are important. Don't take today's snapshot as what will be forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2020, 12:52 PM

4,212 posts, read 3,299,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
There are MANY legitimate and important reasons to track and understand population trends. Social scientists, public servants, economists, planners, businesses, educators, etc. etc. really need to know why people are coming and going and who these people are (characteristically).

It appears you only think this is about some peepee match, which sometimes it might be. On an individual level, sure, who cares if someone stays or goes, but on the macro level trends are important. Don't take today's snapshot as what will be forever.
I agree, but this isn't really what's going on, at least most of the time. It exaggerating and amplifying completely normal migration trends to create the kind of "news" people want to hear.

Go over to YT and search "leaving California"......its endless YouTubers making a video about why "everyone" is leaving because a few prominent people left recently because they know there is a market to hear this narrative being reinforced.

When a celebrity buys a property outside of California (which has been going on all throughout history) that generates another "look who's the latest to flee California" click bait piece (even when they retain a primary residence in CA).

The data linked earlier in the thread didn't even show a population loss, just a slowing in growth.

Old 10-20-2020, 12:58 PM

21,740 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post

I agree there are many legitimate reasons to track and understand population trends. None of which have been identified through the course of this thread ... or a million other similar threads.

In lieu of identifying some “important” reason for the question ... it sure does seem to be a “peepee match” thread. Yep.

Old 10-20-2020, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I agree, but this isn't really what's going on, at least most of the time. It exaggerating and amplifying completely normal migration trends to create the kind of "news" people want to hear.

Go over to YT and search "leaving California"......its endless YouTubers making a video about why "everyone" is leaving because a few prominent people left recently because they know there is a market to hear this narrative being reinforced.

When a celebrity buys a property outside of California (which has been going on all throughout history) that generates another "look who's the latest to flee California" click bait piece (even when they retain a primary residence in CA).

The data linked earlier in the thread didn't even show a population loss, just a slowing in growth.
Exactly

Old 10-20-2020, 05:55 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,067,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Riiight. Just like the world’s wealthy have abandoned the French Riviera to roving bands of illegal immigrant refugees from Africa!
I had no idea! Is there a Go Fund Me page? Sacre Bleu!

Old 10-21-2020, 01:09 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, the huge amounts of land preserved as national forests, national parks, state and regional parks, has always been one of the West's attractive qualities. "Empty" of sprawl and glitz is a good thing.
Those are the best places IMO as a native Californian

If OP likes the east coast better, then he should move. No need to debate or have us beg him to stay. Go out & explore.

Old 10-21-2020, 02:12 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,379,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Responsible for fire fighting in 43% of forested land but not for cutting brush or having controlled burns. And as far as the 'summer being lost', it was lost in April when Trump stopped all federal work on clearing brush etc because of the pandemic and told the employees to work from home.
Trump doesn't control every decision any more than Newsome does - stoppages in CA were due to the state. Also the Federal stop work was 6 weeks and coincided almost exactly with that Cal Fire did - the CA regulations such as smog stopped the work after that. Also ignores the fact that most of the clearing that was critical was on CA controlled land, not Federal. Cali IS responsible for brush clearing on the 43%, they have the duty, regulatory power and means to compel.

Old 10-21-2020, 03:40 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,027,890 times
I would LOVE to move to the pacific North West. I have hated living in CA for years.

Old 10-21-2020, 03:49 PM

4,212 posts, read 3,299,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
I would LOVE to move to the pacific North West. I have hated living in CA for years.
I love it up there too. The first time I went to Portland in 2012 they still had midwest-level COL. SoCal is beautifully but in a somewhat contrived, engineered way. The PNW has a slight edge in natural beauty and intimacy IMO.

Old 10-21-2020, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I love it up there too. The first time I went to Portland in 2012 they still had midwest-level COL. SoCal is beautifully but in a somewhat contrived, engineered way. The PNW has a slight edge in natural beauty and intimacy IMO.
That COL is long gone now. I am up in the San Juan Islands right now. Hiding out since March. Seattle is competing with California real estate pricing. Many rural areas west of the mountains are skyrocketing as well. Portland is following suit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California