Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2022, 04:30 PM

25,751 posts, read 12,832,402 times

Advertisements

So many people leaving Cali that U-Haul ran out of trucks!

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics...-trucks-report

I never heard of GTT until this article, have you? It means "Gone To Texas"

Hot off the presses..United Van Lines names Cali as #3 state people moving from, & article uses the word "exodus"

For those of you want less crowding, & traffic, it looks like things should be easing up in Cali. Anyone noticing any diff?

Affluent movers use United Van Lines, and Uhaul is mostly used by the less affluent, so both ends of the economic spectrum are leaving.

I must admit, I'm a bit jealous of y'all, Florida is packed like Sardines right now. We have U-Haul trucks coming out of our @#$'s

I wonder if you can drive U-Haul from FLA to Calif for the cost of gas only
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2022, 09:51 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,705,829 times
With 40 million residents and less 1% population decline, any small dip is not even noticeable. Trust me. That's why this is so funny to anyone actually living in CA or who visits often. It's way over dramatized to point of being nothing more that social media chatter. The small 'decline' is not affecting residents nor visitors lives in any real, observable way.

Though it would great if people realized there are other states worth flooding into as well. Hey, Texas has lots of open land and prairies. And Florida has the beaches. So, why the heck not? I mean if that floats your boat. Go man, go!! Give Californians a break for once. It's about time the never ending annual increase didn't happen 'for once.' Let's hope that trend continues and people spread out more across America. Its a big country with lots of open land. If you want to see sardines try driving some of the most overcrowded freeways in the world through LA/OC/SD's concrete jungle.

There are parts of Florida that are definitely getting more crowded. But they are at least a decade behind California's overcrowded urban mess. Hopefully more will migrate to other states as well. Lots more are headed to places like Idaho, Washington, Oregon, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, etc.. It's high time people to spread out more. California has reached and exceeded critical mass in its main economic hubs. This would give California a chance to have a little break from the deluge if it ever happens in any significant way. Though I never see the number dropping that much, not below 35 million. It will always be one of the most populated states in the nation if not top. And that is not a trophy a state should aspire to hold forever.

Derek

Old 01-07-2022, 11:40 PM

4,615 posts, read 3,005,102 times
How long must the exodus continue before I can buy a Santa Monica condo with an ocean view, for cheap?
I'm not young any more, so I can't be too patient.

Old 01-08-2022, 08:31 AM

1,108 posts, read 529,308 times
there would have to be a hell of alot more people leaving before living on the west side would be nice. even 25% reduction would still result in traffic, beggars and high rent not to mention the parking tickets fees would go up cause the peoples republic of santa monica would still need the money for the tent camps

Old 01-08-2022, 09:17 AM

14,318 posts, read 11,714,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Hot off the presses..United Van Lines names California as #3 state people moving from, & article uses the word "exodus"
What are #1 and #2? Why aren't we talking about those states?? Did you post on their forums as well, about their "exodus"?

Old 01-08-2022, 09:46 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
What are #1 and #2? Why aren't we talking about those states?? Did you post on their forums as well, about their "exodus"?
This is the 2021 United Van lines survey and it shows California as being 5th for outbound moves
1.New Jersey
2.Illinois
3.New York
4.Connecticut
5.California

And these are the top 10 inbound states:
1.Vermont
2.South Dakota
3.South Carolina
4.West Virginia
5.Florida
6.Alabama
7.Tennessee
8.Oregon
9.Idaho
10.Rhode Island

Old 01-08-2022, 09:55 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,115,501 times
Honest question. Are the homeless counted in the census? Could some of the previous numbers simply have taken on the homeless lifestyle? Not that they wanted to, necessarily.

Old 01-08-2022, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Honest question. Are the homeless counted in the census? Could some of the previous numbers simply have taken on the homeless lifestyle? Not that they wanted to, necessarily.
The Census Bureau attempts to count 'everyone' including the homeless. So, its unlikely census numbers changed much from one year to the next because of it.

"SEPT. 16, 2020 — The U.S. Census Bureau will begin the special operations to count people experiencing homelessness in communities across the country on Sept. 22. Specially trained census takers will count people Sept. 22-24 at shelters, soup kitchens and mobile food van stops in an operation called Service-Based Enumeration (SBE). Census takers will count people who live outdoors, in transit stations, and at other locations where people are known to sleep in an operation called Targeted Non-Sheltered Outdoor Locations (TNSOL).

The Census Bureau is committed to counting everyone once, only once, and in the right place,” said Dr. Steven Dillingham, director of the Census Bureau. “To reach everyone living in the United States, our census takers are conducting special operations to count people experiencing homelessness to ensure we have a complete and accurate 2020 count.” -- 2020 Census Special Operations to Count People Experiencing Homelessness Begins Next Week

Derek

Old 01-08-2022, 12:37 PM

14,318 posts, read 11,714,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
This is the 2021 United Van lines survey and it shows California as being 5th for outbound moves
1.New Jersey
2.Illinois
3.New York
4.Connecticut
5.California
I admit I don't spend much if any time on the forums for those other states. Are people screaming about an exodus from NJ, IL, et al?

Old 01-08-2022, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I admit I don't spend much if any time on the forums for those other states. Are people screaming about an exodus from NJ, IL, et al?
The Census Bureau shows a similar story nationally with other states losing more people as well.

Who in New York, Washington DC, Hawaii, etc.. are complaining about losing some people? Or more to the point, which other out-of-state CD'ers are going on to their forums acting like it's some kind of big deal or terrible thing for them? Then coming up with their own fanciful notions to 'fix' thing with all kinds of 'concerns' especially related to their favorite political spins and biases.

I bet that New York, Hawaii and DC which are very congested and overcrowded feel similarly. If overcrowded states and cities have people finally leaving, at least in part, its a good thing and should occur as a natural ebb and flow due in large part to supply and demand economics. Of course, California will be demonized for not 'supporting' the middle class enough while saving the whales or its environment or helping illegals to get an education or other atrocities. Why? because it's California, of course.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 01-08-2022 at 01:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California