Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2021, 07:45 PM

6,751 posts, read 6,753,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
As you say, I wouldn't waste a thought on states I'd never live in. I spent a year in several states to find out about each one.
I love this state. Just think it needs a Massachusetts style socially lib GOPer to do something about the unions that are ruining it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2021, 11:07 AM

1,258 posts, read 1,061,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
I love this state. Just think it needs a Massachusetts style socially lib GOPer to do something about the unions that are ruining it.
Liberal Democrat voter here...Agreed, to an extent. Problem is finding a Republican that isn't an all out MAGAt or right-wing nut, which is what seems to be left of the GOP in this state.

I've seen the positive and negative side of unions.

Plus side: In the private sector, they keep a certain expectation in place regarding the treatment of employees, adherence to regulations and reasonable wages. This is needed to a large extent.

Negative side: they have too strong a lobby in Sacramento and in the public employment sector (state, cities, counties, school districts, water districts, etc). They are exacerbating a potential crisis with regard to future funding expectations. Rather than compromise and allow for a hybrid model of mixed public-private investment (see the Utah public employees retirement model), they insist on 100% public funding. I see this reaching a boiling point with voters sometime in the near-future.

Old 03-22-2021, 11:33 AM

3,158 posts, read 2,711,837 times
Agree with the last two posters.

Anecdotally, the smartest guy I know, also kind of a big deal in his industry, is coming back to CA after living and working in the Midwest and southeast. He figured out what I already knew: CA is the best place to live in the USA if you're talented, hardworking, and productive.

Old 03-22-2021, 05:56 PM

42,867 posts, read 26,361,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
Liberal Democrat voter here...Agreed, to an extent. Problem is finding a Republican that isn't an all out MAGAt or right-wing nut, which is what seems to be left of the GOP in this state.

I've seen the positive and negative side of unions.

Plus side: In the private sector, they keep a certain expectation in place regarding the treatment of employees, adherence to regulations and reasonable wages. This is needed to a large extent.

Negative side: they have too strong a lobby in Sacramento and in the public employment sector (state, cities, counties, school districts, water districts, etc). They are exacerbating a potential crisis with regard to future funding expectations. Rather than compromise and allow for a hybrid model of mixed public-private investment (see the Utah public employees retirement model), they insist on 100% public funding. I see this reaching a boiling point with voters sometime in the near-future.
You are wrong about pensions under CalPERS, since 2013 employees hired after that time have been required to contribute to their pension. There is also a cap on pensionable income.

Quote:
Under PEPRA, employers are not permitted to pay any part of required employee contributions for new employees, in other words employer-paid member contributions (EPMC). PEPRA does not affect the payment of EPMC’s for existing employees. https://www.latimes.com/socal/daily-...417-story.html

Old 03-23-2021, 08:53 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,621,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
that's not true. Teyr'e out there. At least for the general public / non-politicians. "Liberal Democrat Voters" have isolated all republicans into "MAGAt or right-wing nut[s]", so much so that the normal, everyday conservative just keeps his/her head down

Old 05-02-2021, 03:39 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,077,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Broads? What is this, 1955?
Typo, I'm sure they meant "roads".

Old 05-02-2021, 06:49 AM

86 posts, read 92,830 times
I was born in CA as well and I left last year. One of the best decisions I've made. I bought a house for under 400k that would've cost 800k to one mil where I was. CA is beautiful but it's losing its allure and status quickly in the eyes of normal people. I know this is anecdotal but the aviation industry in CA is absolutely bleeding people. At least 2 out of 3 had exit plans lined up, especially younger people.

And to be fair NM is a place with major problems but I know it well and the family is here.

Old 05-02-2021, 08:38 AM

3,479 posts, read 2,814,908 times
People leaving California has been an issue for a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilCx9UV-Qzg

Old 05-02-2021, 11:26 AM

7,658 posts, read 4,624,293 times
San Francisco rents have dropped pretty significantly.

Old 05-03-2021, 08:23 AM

26,768 posts, read 26,890,587 times
SACRAMENTO — May 3, 2021 - Political spin about wealthy people abandoning California is fake news.

The state is mostly losing low- to middle-income people who can’t hack the living costs, especially the expensive housing.

Moreover, recently arrived foreign immigrants are not mainly from Latin America. They’re more likely highly educated tech engineers or healthcare workers from Asia.

One common perception is true: Our business climate is widely seen as unfriendly, discouraging economic investment. There’s too much red tape in stifling government regulation with mountains of fees. And those taxes.

California’s slow-growing population, reversing the historical pattern of booming growth, was highlighted in last week’s report by the U.S. Census Bureau. It showed that our population grew below the national average during the decade after the 2010 census — by 6.1%, compared with 7.4% for the nation.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...-housing-costs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California