Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2021, 11:33 AM

1,375 posts, read 1,050,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simbared View Post
Texans and Arizonians will still claim their States are being overrun with massive numbers of Californians.
Its true, they are all over the place
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2021, 11:52 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,274,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
San Francisco rents have dropped pretty significantly.
We were thinking of moving to the Sacramento area two years ago. When a checked a few months ago, rents had gone by 30%.

A friend that works up there said housing prices have skyrocketed because people from the Bay Area got tired of the expensive housing and pushed out to Sacramento. The pandemic made it worse since people can work from home and avoid the commute.

It’s anecdotal but lines up with what you’re saying.

Old 05-03-2021, 01:53 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
People ARE leaving the state though. Lot's of them. Folks cashing out to all cash buyers who either flip, move in, rent out while increasing their RE portfolios. And plenty of non homeowners leaving for places they hope to be homeowners. It's ridiculous to deny it but it's not as if the state is going to empty out. Lot's of starry eyed folks will find their way here, even if it's for the short term.

Old 05-03-2021, 02:38 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,178,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmtex View Post
Its true, they are all over the place
There so many Californians moving to Idaho like I did that I don’t even get hassled for being a crazy Californian because everyone else is from there too

Old 05-03-2021, 04:39 PM

795 posts, read 407,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
People ARE leaving the state though. Lot's of them. Folks cashing out to all cash buyers who either flip, move in, rent out while increasing their RE portfolios. And plenty of non homeowners leaving for places they hope to be homeowners. It's ridiculous to deny it but it's not as if the state is going to empty out. Lot's of starry eyed folks will find their way here, even if it's for the short term.
Yep. Real estate photographer was at my place today taking the pictures. It’s going to be listed by the end of the week. Last Friday we closed on our amazing new home in rural Maine. End of June I am kissing this mess of a state goodbye and good riddance.

Old 05-03-2021, 04:58 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
People ARE leaving the state though. Lot's of them.
Anecdotally, yes. One of our neighbors is moving to Nashville after a lifetime of living in southern California.

Old 05-03-2021, 05:31 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,818,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
There so many Californians moving to Idaho like I did that I don’t even get hassled for being a crazy Californian because everyone else is from there too
Truth! I was floored to find this, also!

Old 05-04-2021, 04:36 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,590,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Anecdotally, yes. One of our neighbors is moving to Nashville after a lifetime of living in southern California.
Ben Shapiro? Lol

Old 05-04-2021, 09:48 PM

4,601 posts, read 2,990,451 times
Default what happened to the people leaving "in droves?"

They were replaced by other people arriving in droves.

Old 05-05-2021, 01:45 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,065,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
They were replaced by other people arriving in droves.
I believe that's true and explains what happened in California, maybe the best indicator of your theory might be moving company, realtor, title company, and RE lawyer business for the period. I mean, Sacramento must be counting real estate transactions or utility transfers in the state, right?

But that really doesn't explain why the Census shocked so many people, because for the last ten years we were constantly getting fed headlines saying "Californians are leaving in droves!" which while not technically incorrect, does not tell the whole story. Being from Illinois, I was "positive" the state was going to show a loss of at least a half-million people, whereas the Census only showed a 18K decline from 2010. So who made the "mistake"? Was it a failure of the "news" over the past decade, or was it the data estimates from government agencies like the Census' annual estimates via the "American Community Survey", or was it the 2020 survey itself which is incorrect? Supposedly, only about 67% of citizens return their documents. During Covid, I sure wouldn't have allowed a Census taker into my home, I simply wouldn't have answered the door. So how many "estimates" vs. actual counts were made? Is it a transparent process, which clearly separates self-reported data from what Census takers or data analysts estimated?

One thing that bothers me, is that there's huge financial and political motivation to pad the count. If the process is not transparent and verifiable (and is easy to "fudge"), people are more likely to manipulate it (kind of like elections, but that's a different thread).

Bottom line, I'm more than a little suspicious, and sure would like to be reassured what they reported was accurate, and what percentage of error is expected and tolerated. Note that it HELPED my state, but if it was not accurate (or worse, fraudulent), it is not a desirable outcome.

Last edited by Curly Q. Bobalink; 05-05-2021 at 01:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California