Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2021, 07:00 AM

3,347 posts, read 2,311,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Maybe.

Read this book:

https://www.ucpress.edu/book/9780520...-without-water

California for the past 100 years has been ABNORMALLY wet and fairly stable in climate.

IF it goes back to a normal climate.....well, read the book.
Its interesting how the rest of the desert southwest handles it? I don't hear to much about water restrictions over there I could be wrong though.*

Interestingly we don't have water storage tanks with most buildings in California unlike some places. Where they have storage tanks as they may have city water supply stopped at anytime.
Though one thing that bugs me is how residential development has so much unusable space that requires so much water. Meaning less traffic*lanes and parking resulting in parking wars as in many areas driving is necessary for almost all residents of driving age but there is little to no place to park them. There always had been more than enough space to do so in similar commercial areas*they can fit that many just fine and still have landscaping. Yet Single family homes or apartments for that matter can only accommodate a fraction of number of vehicles even with the same size lot. Much of the lot has no practicality purposes.

I do know that residential water use if minisicule but this catches my attention.

I see some towns in the desert southwest where its common for the entire residential lot can be parked on though, and a 1/4 acre lot could easily accommodate 8 cars plus a motorhome and a boat. But in CA while Most residential development whether its single family or multi family while they could theoretically accommodate 8 or more cars per household but they are artificially limited to two per unit for multi family and at most four usually tandem for most single family homes even those with 1/2 acre lots and 3000 sq ft of living space. Leading to many needless parking disputes. I understand that parked cars and concrete may look ugly and there is the need for permeable ground but there should be better ways to use space and still make the place look good.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 11-06-2021 at 07:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2021, 06:56 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
None of that needs to be considered, it's the ongoing new developments bringing in more new people than the infrastructure can handle that's the problem. Consider, for example, the affluent area called Blackhawk in Contra Costa County. In the 1970s a ranch owner sold to a developer and now there are over 2,400 homes, 10,000 residents, many of them have such extensive landscaping that they have a second water meter just for their irrigation.

https://www.sf
gate.com/science/article/Blackhawk-s-brown-lawn-crackdown-may-flout-7237901.php

In 1970, San Ramon, CA was rolling hills and valleys with a few ranch style homes and farms, population 4,084. Today, it's a sea of roofs, with population 84,605!

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.7485.../data=!3m1!1e3

As in the whisper Kevin Costner heard repeatedly in the movie, Field of Dreams, "Build it and they will come"
applies, especially with good jobs and a mild climate.
In the series "Yellowstone" starring Kevin Costner, as the ranch owner John Dutton. John & his family own as much as 776,900 acres. ALL for one family...

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...client=gws-wiz

Old 11-09-2021, 08:26 AM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
In the series "Yellowstone" starring Kevin Costner, as the ranch owner John Dutton. John & his family own as much as 776,900 acres. ALL for one family...
Interesting that they own as much as is in the entire state of Rhode Island. I wonder if the writers intentionally gave them that number.

Old 11-09-2021, 12:35 PM

10,306 posts, read 6,842,111 times
I'd heard singer/song writer Neil Young was the largest private land owner in the State of Calif, next to the Catholic Church, that is.
But, this tidbit is certainly dated material.

Old 11-10-2021, 05:10 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Southern California’s largest urban water district declared a drought emergency on Tuesday (11/9) and called for local water suppliers to immediately cut the use of water from the State Water Project.

The resolution passed by the board of the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California calls on people across the region to step up conservation efforts, but also focuses especially on six water agencies that rely heavily or entirely on the water-starved State Water Project.

Those water agencies, which supply cities in Los Angeles, Ventura and San Bernardino counties, have been instructed to activate additional conservation measures and reduce their usage of water from the State Water Project, which is in an acute shortage after one of the state’s driest years on record.

https://www.latimes.com/environment/...ught-emergency

Old 11-10-2021, 07:32 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,334,280 times
I still want to know why Oroville is the only-ONLY-body of water ever featured in these stories. It's created something of a backlash for me. I don't give a sh... about Oroville anymore. Not in the least.

Yes, I realize that its topography makes for some overly dramatic pictures. And it's the biggest. And whatever other statistical bullet points they care to throw in.

But CA is a big state. Would it kill any journalist to also include the likes of Pine Flat, Millerton, Kaweah, Success, San Luis Rey, and maybe Diamond Valley in those stories too? Or is Oroville just the lazy, easy target low hanging fruit?

Old 11-10-2021, 08:39 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
I'd heard singer/song writer Neil Young was the largest private land owner in the State of Calif, next to the Catholic Church, that is.
I thought it was Bob Hope. He bought land with every cent he made. He basically owned Silver Lake.

Old 11-11-2021, 11:33 AM

3,461 posts, read 2,786,747 times
Quote:
I guess Young’s still searching for that heart of gold.
And he’s old.

Old 12-31-2021, 07:52 AM

7,185 posts, read 9,320,007 times
Plentiful early-season Sierra snowpack signals ‘remarkable turnaround’ amid historic drought

Rain and snowfall pull big portions of state out of worst dry conditions

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2021/12...toric-drought/

"A series of record-setting blizzards in recent weeks that buried roads, snarled holiday traffic and even temporarily shut down ski resorts has combined to offer California a window of hope after two years of historic and punishing drought.

Plunging a pole into the snow-covered landscape along U.S. 50 near Echo Summit, officials with the California Department of Water Resources on Thursday measured 78.5 inches of snow and about 20 inches of water within that snow — a total that’s 202% of average for this time of year.

That’s about 82% of the way to what water managers would expect for that location to receive by April 1. Snowpack elsewhere in the Sierra Nevada also appears far ahead of historical averages — an unexpected respite from two years of bone-dry conditions, leaving climatologists cautiously optimistic about the prospects for easing the state’s water shortage.

“Obviously we are off to a great start,” said Sean de Guzman, of the California Department of Water Resources. “Let’s just keep it coming.”

Old 12-31-2021, 08:45 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Neil Young has a place on the Olympic Peninsula in WA. He used to drop in on an art gallery friends of mine owned. They closed the gallery around 6 ago, though, so I haven't heard any more about him since then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California