Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2022, 12:33 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,008,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Is there a reason we should care? I don't have any thoughts on this. Why do you and Coe keep posting obsessively on these racial demographic topics?
As far as I know, this is the only racial thread I've ever created here. And only a very small portion of my posts(about 1800) mention race/ethnicity in any way. Heck, I'd guess that at least 40% of my posts are about weather. I'm way more obsessed about weather than race. you should be concerned with that obsession, instead. Lol

If you think me talking about race/ethnicity a handful of times on here makes me obsessed, you're overreacting or have issues yourself.

And if you have a problem with Dave coe, go talk to him. I'm not his friend or anything, leave me out of it.

Lastly, I asked for thoughts cause I didn't want it to look like I was pushing a certain narrative/position. I just wanted to hear some opinions on the topic - that's it.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 01-08-2022 at 01:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2022, 04:18 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,453,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
Lastly, I asked for thoughts cause I didn't want it to look like I was pushing a certain narrative/position. I just wanted to hear some opinions on the topic - that's it.

For the record and since your table is derived from census data, I check every box on the census form where it asks for race information. Until there's an option 'crayon soup', I will just cover all the possible bases.

Old 01-09-2022, 06:13 PM

1,255 posts, read 1,054,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
2030s: New Latino immigration is abysmal. Continuation of previous trends from Asian and Middle East. Start to see big increase in African immigration.
I don't see that at all. If it does happen, the flow will most likely be to Atlanta, Georgia; Birmingham, AL; Memphis, TN; Houston, TX; Dallas, TX; Charlotte, NC; Washington DC.

California will continue to attract Latin American immigrants, but they will be wealthier than in the past.

Old 01-09-2022, 06:44 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,464,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
I don't see that at all. If it does happen, the flow will most likely be to Atlanta, Georgia; Birmingham, AL; Memphis, TN; Houston, TX; Dallas, TX; Charlotte, NC; Washington DC.

California will continue to attract Latin American immigrants, but they will be wealthier than in the past.

Wealthy Latin Americans tend to immigrate to Florida or Texas, very rare in California. The only exception is San Diego has attracted a decent number of wealthy Mexicans. They even have a suburban enclave called Bonita.

Latin American immigration to California has declined and only Guatemalans are immigrating in significant numbers.

Why do you expect to see that trend in the future?

Old 01-09-2022, 06:47 PM

8,500 posts, read 4,741,154 times
Mmmkay....so? It’ll be interesting to see how this plays out over the decades, but a lot of places in California have been minority white for a long time.

Old 01-11-2022, 11:01 AM

2,367 posts, read 909,441 times
If you only look at this list, together with data on average rent or home prices for each city, you would come to the conclusion that non-whites are wealthier. But then you'd be wrong. Something else is going on.

Old 01-11-2022, 02:53 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,511,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
I've never been to Chico but my impression of Salinas was that it is very low income.
The east side is, but there are wealthy neighborhoods and given its on the coast (well, 11 miles from the ocean) the home prices are silly high regardless of whether its a modest or upscale home.

Old 01-11-2022, 04:08 PM

478 posts, read 691,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Democrat View Post
Why the f does it matter?
behind a lot of closed doors, MANY and I man MANY look at demographics in an area and it is a basis for many to move to an area.

Racism and prejudice has and always been a live and well. It's the sad truth whether people want don't want to believe it.

Old 01-11-2022, 05:08 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,166,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
White flight? Now you have reverse white migration back into urban cores, where the POC complain about "gentrification" when Jane, a Subaru-driving lesbian, buys a building, firm in her belief in Social Justice as she serves the POC tenants an eviction notice to make room for her rainbow art studio. The POC get pushed out into crappy apartments and rental homes in the worn and decaying inner suburbs. Here white flight still does occur as Bob and Mary, prosperity Christians who drive a $90k luxury SUV with a faded Elder for Governor bumpersticker, move into a new 5,000 foot home in the far outer suburbs and host Bible study during which they proudly display their AR-15s and complain about illegal immigration.

Old 01-12-2022, 10:50 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,387,480 times
It would be super cool if California was more diverse.
5% white , European
5% black
5% Nigerian
5% ghana
5% Guatemalan
5% Mexican
5% Chinese
5% Japanese
5% Korean
5% Vietnamese
5% Singapore
5% India
5% Pakistan
5% Nepal
5% brasil
5% Chile
5% Tahiti
5% natives

I dont know more countries, but 5%

One big diverse California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California