Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2022, 03:45 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,448,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
The scary part is I don’t think this weather pattern will turn back to what we once knew as normal any time soon.

This isn't abnormal. More places *aren't* setting records than are.

That's the problem with looking at very small data sets versus overall averages and trends --basic statistics apply. Yes, we know the troposphere is warming overall, but looking at a week's worth of ground level temperatures in a very small geographic region, even something as large as this state, isn't going to be informative. It's September. It's a hot month. It won't be surprising if we have here and there triple digit days into October either. That's also normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2022, 03:49 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,071,084 times
I just got the call that our chickens didn’t make it.
They still had water and plenty of shade.
It was just too hot for them.

If any of you have chickens consider their heat exposure and maybe add some time with a water sprinkler on them or their area.

Old 09-06-2022, 03:49 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
It always seemed the hottest days growing up were when school started.

For record temps would have to go back more than a hundred years to 1914 Death Valley 134F

Old 09-06-2022, 03:51 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,679,971 times
I'm using my share of energy to keep these temps down. It's currently 111°F and that's on my porch. No telling what it is in the sun. Looking ahead at the forecast, in just one week, temps will be 89° (in my area). Talk about summer going out with a bang! Only a few more days of this.

Old 09-06-2022, 03:53 PM

Quote:
I just got the call that our chickens didn’t make it.
They still had water and plenty of shade.
It was just too hot for them.

If any of you have chickens consider their heat exposure and maybe add some time with a water sprinkler on them or their area.
That's sad, Andy. Wow, if the chickens didn't make it, I can't imagine how many working outdoors will end up in the hospital or even worse. This is brutal.

Old 09-06-2022, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I'm using my share of energy to keep these temps down.

I try to pre-cool the house before 3pm. Doing it overnight is best, especially if it's going to be in the triple digits. Just in the last ten minutes, the pressure on the grid has jumped to 49,932MW, from about 49,200MW and we're still over two hours out from the predicted peak. This has been the closest we've come so far this year.

Old 09-06-2022, 03:59 PM

It is definitely warmer and hotter than it was years ago.
The glaciers near my summer house are shrinking big time.
Glaciers all over the world have greatly reduced in size.
The water in our area of the pacific is getting warmer.
Denying the climate temperature changes is as foolish as burying your head in the sand to it.

Old 09-06-2022, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
I try to pre-cool the house before 3pm. Doing it overnight is best, especially if it's going to be in the triple digits. Just in the last ten minutes, the pressure on the grid has jumped to 49,932MW, from about 49,200MW and we're still over two hours out from the predicted peak. This has been the closest we've come so far this year.
Smart. I normally do that as well. Typically, I open the windows at night to let the delta breeze cool the house. By the time I get up in the morning, the house is a comfortable 68°. Not this week. It was still over 95° outside when I went to bed last night. I knew it would be a hot one today since it didn't cool off, not even a little. That's the only bad thing about the valley. We may see the delta breeze normally but when a heatwave like this hits, there's nothing. At least you guys see a little ocean breeze effect, even it doesn't last long. Enjoy it when you can.

Old 09-06-2022, 04:34 PM

It is smart to pre cool your house.
We would fan in cool air in the morning at times to help.
My mom has a whole house fan.
That thing kicks out the hot air pronto and creates such a huge vacuum it slams doors.

I just got off the phone with my son and he told me we were unofficially registering 116 yesterday and it’s a little less today.

How hot was it at on Mars ?

Old 09-06-2022, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Denying the climate temperature changes is as foolish as burying your head in the sand to it.

Do you mean me because you should probably reread what I said if so.
The fact is, this isn't abnormal weather and surface level readings for a weeklong event, isolated to a small spot on the map, isn't how "climate temperature changes" are being weighed. That's why we refer to the phenomenon as global climate change. We're looking at the big picture; the entire earth and the entirety of the troposphere, not just sea level numbers. This is entry level statistics. There's a multitude of reasons we know that Earth's average temperature is higher than it was and getting higher at an accelerated rate. That's why there's scientific consensus on that fact. A summer heatwave isn't it though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California