Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 08:35 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times

Advertisements

Beware of the nasty weather both summer and winter in most places east of the Rocky Mountains------this coming from a Wash DC native.

To the OP: you may be at home in Wyoming; cold (but dry) winters, inexpensive housing and from what I have hear, pleasant summers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 11:52 PM

5 posts, read 9,691 times
Default Tennessee, tennessee, tennessee

even though i am a mid thinking democrat, you and your family would probably be very happy and fit right in in either of the following (top 3 areas) Hendersonville, Brentwood or Franklin, TN. in any one of those areas you should be able to find home with a minimum of an acre or so. Brentwood is the priciest and either of the other two would afford you more land if you want it. Good Luck in your search. My husband and I were just back in Orange County and So Cal last week visiting family & friends, we loved it but it was good to get home...though this was tough week for alot of us here mid-TN.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:49 PM

25 posts, read 136,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Mayberry was a fantasy world, created for television. It never existed.

Smalltown America has unemployment and meth
Big City America has crime, overcrowding, and plenty of other problems.

You will never escape the problems without sacrificing something else (usually job and business opportunity)

You are looking for something that does not exist. If Orange County is not conservative enough for you, there might be no place that is.

Long Island is not conservative. Maine is most definitely not. Those are traditional, not conservative places. Orange County social conservatism and consumerism will be met with scorn in places like that.

If you are a west-coast 'libertarian' conservative I would suggest the stalwarts of the American West: Texas, Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Dakotas, Wyoming, etc. Alternatively there are parts of the South and Tenessee River Valley that would be appropriate.
Very well said Sassberto! I agree that no place like that exist and that probably is a very good thing. I would also note that the cultural type things that they seem to want are usually found in more culturally diverse type settings. I was raised in Columbus, OH in the 60's and 70's. I left when I got old enough for the exact opposite reasons of the original poster. Columbus was too conservative, culturally deplete and I needed more. I went back a couple of months ago to see my grandmother and I was blown away how much Columbus had changed. If I didn't love the Bay Area so much I could actually live there now. My point is it, like everything else in this country is changing and not in the way that the original poster would like. Maybe they should stay in OC and just change the way they view the world.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:12 PM

35 posts, read 66,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired_of_OC View Post
Some may think I'm crazy, but I want to move my family out of California. We live in Orange County in a very nice neighborhood, own a business, kids in private school, wife stays at home, life is generally good. But I've been in OC all my life and it's not like it used to be. I think it's time to leave.

I am trying to find that perfect place to go, and am looking for advice from this forum. We are a conservative Republican family and want that idyllic "Leave It To Beaver" experience for our children. The summer heat here kills my wife too so we need someplace cooler than CA, somewhere with 4 distinct seasons would be great. Having an ocean nearby (1-2 hrs) is a plus. We like fine homes and lots of space, and would want to be in a place where upper class neighborhoods with 4000-6000 square foot homes are common on at least an acre of land. We can't be off in the backwoods either, we would need to be near a larger city with culture, arts, restaurants, etc. Pricewise, somewhere in the $1.5M-$2M range. And somewhere that is not crawling with illegal aliens...

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Somewhere in Connecticut even though it is "liberal"

Conservative states are all worthless dumps like Oklahoma.

Last edited by EU20; 07-12-2009 at 02:22 PM..

Old 07-12-2009, 08:56 PM

656 posts, read 1,309,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EU20 View Post
Somewhere in Connecticut even though it is "liberal"

Conservative states are all worthless dumps like Oklahoma.

WOW!! I can't believe you said that! i guess you really don't like Oklahoma huh?

Old 08-25-2009, 04:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,013 times
Boise Idaho and the surrounding area is an ideal place to raise a family, own and run a business and live a great healthy lifestyle. If I can answer any questions or help you in any way feel free to contact me any time. Dan Corkill Custom Homes

Old 08-26-2009, 08:02 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,782,413 times
"You are looking for something that does not exist. If Orange County is not conservative enough for you, there might be no place that is." (ElectricBohemian)

Too true. The GOP Orange County contingent in the state Assembly calls itself "the caveman caucus." It don't get more rightwing than that unless you start going to the Birchers or the Lyndon Larouche crowd.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:59 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobE View Post
"You are looking for something that does not exist. If Orange County is not conservative enough for you, there might be no place that is." (ElectricBohemian)

Too true. The GOP Orange County contingent in the state Assembly calls itself "the caveman caucus." It don't get more rightwing than that unless you start going to the Birchers or the Lyndon Larouche crowd.

Colorado Springs and Huntsville, AL make Orange County look like Berkeley.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:15 AM

664 posts, read 1,946,808 times
Maine..cool summers, 4 VERY distinct seasons. Lots of culture in Portland. Near Ocean. Cheap lobster. 1-2 hrs to Boston. You can find huge plots of land there and build your dream home.
Is most of your family still in CA? If you guys move far away how will no family around affect your living? Would you be ok with it? Anyway, the fall in Maine is out of this world! Good luck!!

Old 08-26-2009, 12:21 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobE View Post

Granted, Orange County is very conservative compared to the rest of California. But to say that you can't find a more conservative place in the US is not true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California