Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 11:39 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post
"Leave it to Beaver" and "Mayberry" are more about parenting than location.
"Leave It To Beaver" was an ideal of 1950s/60s suburban America, not reality. (Although I wished there was an episode in which the Cleaver family were reunited with their long lost cousin Eldridge )

"Mayberry" was an ideal of 1950s/60s small town America, not reality, although in that period there were some small towns in rural America that approximated that ideal to varying extents. Although the show was set in North Carolina it seemed much more like rural NorCal to me, mainly because the most major issue of the '60s South was never mentioned on that show and totally avoided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 03:47 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,478,621 times
RobE,
Just stay clear of the midwest and the south. If you want 4 seasons and still have that good vibe maybe try the east coast like Vermont, or Maine. Many states don't really have "seasons" anymore. We have winter for about 8 months, spring for 3, and a mix of 90% humidity and rain the other month. Be VERY careful where you move as the weather in many states is going to suck compared to what your used to in Southern California.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:09 PM

133 posts, read 191,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired_of_OC View Post
It's the 100+ degree days of North OC that get us. Coastal temperatures would be fine, averaging in the 80's. I've thought about the Denver area but have never spent any time there. It all looks pretty flat and suburban when flying to the airport though. The Pacific Northwest is inviting as long as it's a place that doesn't rain all the time, and I hear that Oregon and Washington are fast becoming centers of liberalism - not the place for us. My wife's parents live in Florida, and she can't stand it there, too humid and too many bugs. So any place with a climate like that is out of the question.

And regarding my line of work, my business will be sold and I will basically be "retired" despite the fact that we're still raising a family, living off the investment income. So locale doesn't matter in that sense.
Well we live part-time on Florida, Windermere, 7 miles from DW and I never see bugs! In the upper midwest, YES, lots of them. The humidity in our area is usually 40% except for July, Aug. and part of Sept.but then we are used to 100% in the upper midwest ALL year around. We never get hurricanes because we are too far inland and I believe Florida is Republican because everybody I talk to is, which is what we love. The people are super friendly and the area we're in has good schools. Something to consider.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:47 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Here's a list of 100 companies leaving California:

The Business Relocation Coach: California's Hostile Business Climate: 100 'Moving-Out-of-State' Events (http://thebusinessrelocationcoach.blogspot.com/2010/02/californias-hostile-business-climate.html - broken link)

List names 100 companies leaving California - Jan Norman on Small Business : The Orange County Register

Old 02-28-2010, 05:39 PM

961 posts, read 2,566,765 times
Thanks for posting those blogs Charles. It certainly gives me a reality check because I yearn to move back to the Golden State. Some close friends are small business owners and have said that they are seeing so many of their fellow business owners move out of state because of the unfriendly business climate. Not sure how California is going to turn this one around.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:25 PM

3 posts, read 5,468 times
Saw your post... Did you move to Seattle and if so what neighborhood did you decide on? Have you looked at Mercer Island? We are moving from San Diego and I am scared to death to move from southern Cal... I am a stay at home mom too... any advise?

Old 01-13-2011, 08:14 AM

Van moves to Calif. on the rise - Lansner on Real Estate : The Orange County Register

Old 10-26-2012, 09:17 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,568,977 times
Toss in the fact that renting a U-Haul to move from LA or SF to Dallas or San Antonio will cost at least 350% of what moving in the reverse direction would do.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Solorio View Post
I moved to North Dakota because the economy sucks here so bad - and so do a lot of the people. I made a hell of a lot more money out there!! Oil BOOM! - Modern day gold rush if you ask me...
I wouldn't move to North Dakota if you doubled my salary.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:23 PM

96 posts, read 210,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I wouldn't move to North Dakota if you doubled my salary.
I would. I'd move there for precisely 10 years, saving the difference. Then I would move back to New Mexico and retire before age 40, living off the investment income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California