Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 08:43 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,271,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compltlyme View Post
I got a call from my friend in Riverside WAKING me this morning to tell me about the almost inch of snow she had in her yard... Right now I have a foot of it and the streets are paved with ice and we are stuck on our hill here in Western Washington... I promised to send her what was in my yard if she let me go back to sleep.... She replied with...whoops Nevermind... and hung up!!! LOL..

I remember getting excited at the little snow we got when I lived down there. Just be glad you don't get more! Playing in it is fun... driving in it... another story!
Oh yes, I got a call like that a few years ago from my sister who lives in Fresno. She told me I couldn't imagine it Uh yes I can more than imagine it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2007, 06:39 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,087,630 times
You are right, the weather has been very weird lately! As for snow, I thought it was in the northern and central parts of CA, did San Diego and LA really get snow? Thats unusual!

Old 01-14-2007, 06:47 PM

777 posts, read 3,197,868 times
Not sure about LA county, but some parts of Riverside, and San Bernadino county did. Supposed to be really windy again Monday. Unusual to have this much wind this late in the winter. Usually blows more during Oct. Nov.

Old 01-14-2007, 11:09 PM

152 posts, read 627,960 times
At 25' at night tonight...all I need 45 miles east of SanFran is some precipitation
It's snowed here in Oakley 3 times since 1981.

Old 01-15-2007, 06:08 PM

150 posts, read 799,257 times
My daughter lives in Santa Ynez and said her bird bath froze in TWELVE degree temps the other night. Geez, I could go back to Noo Yawk for that.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:48 PM

38,895 posts, read 22,885,731 times
Talking So Cal Snow!

I saw on the news this afternoon that it snowed in Malibu today! That, of course, caught everyone off guard. There was also snow in the Santa Clarita Valley. Yes, it's unusual to get snow in the lower elevations in the winter, but it DOES happen once in a great while.

When I moved to Sacramento in the fall of 1990, I could remember the first winter I was there, the nighttime temps got down to the 20s and--guess what?--that's right, it SNOWED! I read the paper the following day and read an article that stated it was the coldest winter on record in 50 years, or something like that. Of course, it would happen when *I* moved there!

Old 01-18-2007, 08:29 AM

20 posts, read 139,077 times
I never thought I'd see the day... its snowing in SoCal, and out here in CT, we haven't had one single inch! Maybe I don't need to move to CA to avoid the winter...?

Old 01-18-2007, 12:09 PM

625 posts, read 2,436,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
One of the symptoms of global warming is an exaggerated hydrologic cycle. If it's cold enough to snow in any given microclimate, it'll still snow. Global warming might cause it to snow more than usual, however, since there is more water in the atmosphere. The predictions are that global warming will upset "normal" weather patterns; snow in areas that don't usually get it could be a symptom of a gradually warming atmosphere. Until the late 1800s it apparently snowed almost every year on the Central Coast, some years as far south as Carpinteria. Portola complained of snow and cold on his overland trek to Monterey Bay in the 1700s.

But still today, snow in southern California is not completely unusual. To my memory it snows in low-lying areas near the coast every 10 or so years. I remember snow in Calabasas and Fillmore in the late 80s. Snow levels on the mountains around Santa Barbara came to around 200 feet above sea level in the 90s, a couple of times. Fun to see while it lasts.

And in the 14th Century you could grow citrus in Great Britian. Your point?

Old 01-18-2007, 12:55 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,079,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCCASparky View Post
I'm not 100 percent sure what you're asking. In your initial post you suggested that more snow didn't equal global warming. I answered that it could and explained how.

Most scientists agree that the earth is warming. They also agree that human activity plays a role, perhaps a major role. Yes, it's true that the earth's global climate has warmed and cooled over the eons. But if you're suggesting that human activity doesn't play a role in the current warming, I must ask you: are you willing to gamble polar ice-caps' melting and all of its consequences on a premise that human activity plays no role just because GB was warmer in the 14th century? Just asking.

Last edited by Winston Smith; 01-18-2007 at 01:34 PM..

Old 01-29-2007, 11:17 AM

5 posts, read 15,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCCASparky View Post
Really? There were, say, orange groves in the British Isles back in the 14th Century, when it was notably colder there than it is now? Please, elaborate.

As to the point of the poster, it might have been that one data point does not refute a long-term trend backup up by the sum total of many millions of data points.

The fact that an 18-year-old died yesterday in San Bernardino does not refute the fact that in the United States the average lifespan is increasing.
The fact the Governor Schwarzenegger easily won reelection in November does not refute the fact that his party generally took a beating at the polls in November.
The fact that a man got mauled by a cougar in a State Park last week does not refute the fact that cougar attacks are quite rare.

Similarly, snow on a single day in the Los Angeles basin most certainly does not refute the fact that, as a long-term trend, the planet as a whole is getting warmer.

And anyone who thinks that it does refute such a thing is pitiably lacking in terms of being able to draw logical conclusions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California