Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2018, 07:00 PM

123 posts, read 173,972 times

Advertisements

Several months ago I hiked up to Hyperion with another tree aficionado that posts regularly on this thread and I did another 360...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/To...4d-124.0300584

You can compare this 360 shot with 3 others that I posted on 11-03-17. As you can see, that in the years since FR originally posted the GPS coords for Hyperion, there's virtually no change to the understory immediately surrounding the tree. I've confirmed this through several hours of detailed comparisons.

A couple of notes though...

Some idiot carved their initials in the bare log that straddles the base of Hyperion.

There is wear on the tops of several logs in the log piles that on the way to Hyperion form barriers on Tom McDonald Creek.

There is wear upon the river bank on the Hyperion side of the creek where people leave the creek on the hike up to Hyperion.

There was more traffic on the route than I would have expected. One of the people said they had read an article in the SF Chronicle...

https://www.sfchronicle.com/travel/a...s-13046894.php

I assume that the increase in traffic was from the newspaper article which ironically was titled, "Should we hide the locations of Earth’s greatest trees?"

Hyperion itself is still in great condition (from what I could see) and during a session of deep interspecies mind-melding, Hyperion communicated to me that it immensely enjoyed the companionship with humans. And that hundreds and hundreds of years of loneliness had finally begun to fade away. It communicated that the human wanderers were from its perspective but tiny ants - if that. When I communicated to Hyperion that I had concerns about the possibility of soil compression and potential damage to the understory, it started laughing and told me to get a life.

Old 11-19-2018, 05:45 AM

4 posts, read 6,259 times
Ok, so ignoring the fact that you can’t communicate with trees. That having a life doesn’t prevent you from doing your best to protect the environment you both live in and interact with. And finally that these trees are by all means of research not starving for human companionship.

You do realize the potential damage, don’t you????
I mean if you put a little plastic swimming pool on your lawn it would eventually kill all of the grass underneath it. If people walked on your lawn every morning they would kill the grass in the path they habitually walked on. If there’s a massive concert at a park. The grass will be trampled and dead in a massive area where hundreds of people compressed the ground and it can sometimes take months to repair that damage.

And if hundreds of people at this park daily made a trip to Hyperion they would kill it.
It is an unfortunate truth of Botany. It’s not like this thread is for a secret order of intense tree keepers who want a special club of secret access to trees.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:00 PM

Nessie, I've documented the understory in the immediate vicinity of Hyperion for the past 4 years. If you perform even a cursory comparison of the 360s I've posted, you'd see that any claims of damage due to the release of the GPS coordinates by FR have virtually no merit whatsoever.

I mind-melded with Hyperion and communicated your post, and Hyperion felt that certain mental blockages have kept you from taking advantage of higher forms of communication. To enable these higher forms of awareness and to help eradicate tangled-mind syndrome, it was suggested that you give yourself an enema brewed from the tea of poison oak leaves and redwood cones.

I'm not sure I agree with Hyperion, but possibly your stunted capabilities have something to do with consuming too much bad water. You can pick up all kinds of things from fouled water.

Last edited by Montclairion; 11-19-2018 at 06:14 PM..

Old 11-19-2018, 08:22 PM

87 posts, read 164,371 times
BadWater and Montclair, don't let me interrupt your entertaining but also meaningful exchange for too long, lots of good points made. I feel like I am watching an NBA game where the teams are exchanging three pointers and the score is 129-129.

Here are a couple free throws to offer up:

First, to me the main problem with Hyperion visitors is erosion. That tree is on a steep slope and there has been a lot of soil loosened around the tree, especially on the up slope side. Then when it rains that soil moves down toward the creek. Not a hopeful long term trend for the tree. Now I am somewhat of a hypocrite because I have been through that area a few times. But the point remains.

Second, the SF Chronicle Hyperion article was pushed by the Eureka-Humboldt Visitors Bureau. You can go to their web site and read their press release dated July 9, 2018. I guess all tall redwoods are the same except when they are not. Heck, magazines and videos have been sold by pushing various tallest redwoods for the last fifty years.

Mark

Last edited by MarkGraham; 11-19-2018 at 08:53 PM..

Old 11-19-2018, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGraham View Post
First, the main problem with Hyperion visitors is erosion. That tree is on a steep slope and there has been a lot of soil loosened around the tree, especially on the upslope side. Then when it rains that soil moves down toward the creek. Not a hopeful long-term trend for the tree.
Mark, agree with you - in that the process of erosion is in play around Hyperion's massive trunk. As I mentioned on this thread some time ago, I theorize that tree movement during winds/rain/storms stresses the root structure and the soil is loosened in the process. The forces during extreme weather episodes must be enormous. On the upslope side the soil appears to have been churned and mulched and some mounds have formed. And my guess is that there are voids under the large roots. On the downslope side of Hyperion there are some deep holes and soil is missing far beneath the trunk. This process of the soil working its way out from beneath the trunk IMHO poses the greatest threat to Hyperion's long-term survival.

I think this is a natural process that's been evolving over hundreds of years and not really affected by human traffic, or at least very little. If anything, tamping the loose soil down might be a good thing.

We should consider ourselves fortunate to have lived in this narrow slice of time and seen this tree of trees in its splendor. In the scheme of things, few will have had this opportunity before Hyperion ultimately comes crashing down.

Old 11-23-2018, 11:14 PM

225 posts, read 469,742 times
Yo y'all I wouldn't bother debating with Montclairion. You won't get anywhere. He thinks that he and FR are right and everyone else including Professor Stephen C. Sillett, Michael Taylor, and the entire tree research community are all wrong. He's almost troll-like.

Old 11-24-2018, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManWinter View Post
He's almost troll-like.
[/i]
Well, OldMan, from 'troll' to 'almost troll-like', I'm pleased, I 'd say I'm making progress.

BTW, Sillett told me he hasn't been up to Hyperion in recent years - so how would he know anything about recent wear and tear around the tree? I told him I'd update him with the 3D images along with the park rangers as they became available, and I conveyed to him that from what I could see, there was negligible wear to the understory in recent years (since the GPS coords were published by FR) from around the base of Hyperion.

I think the tree research community you refer to is a figment of your imagination - some Illuminati-like fabrication that only exists in your mind. You must be drinking from the same creek as Nessie - as it appears you have also contracted a severe case of tangled-mind syndrome (TMS).

For starters, all you have to do is perform a careful comparison of the 4 years of 360s from near the base of Hyperion that I've posted on this thread. And you can see for yourself that the claims of the mythical tree research community are baseless.

Just in case you want to treat your case of TMS, I'm posting the 360s again for you...

Hyperion Tree panorama north - Famous Redwoods

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.2053...!7i8704!8i4352

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.2047...!7i8704!8i4352

Old 11-24-2018, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManWinter View Post
He's almost troll-like.
[/i]
Well, OldMan, from 'troll' to 'almost troll-like', I'm pleased, I 'd say I'm making progress.

BTW, Sillett told me he hasn't been up to Hyperion in recent years - so how would he know anything about recent wear and tear around the tree? I told him I'd update him with the 3D images along with the park rangers as they became available, and I conveyed to him that from what I could see, there was negligible wear to the understory in recent years (since the GPS coords were published by FR) from around the base of Hyperion.

I think the tree research community you refer to is a figment of your imagination - some Illuminati-like fabrication that only exists in your mind. You must be drinking from the same creek as Nessie - as it appears you have also contracted a severe case of tangled-mind syndrome (TMS).

For starters, all you have to do is perform a careful comparison of the 4 years of 360s from near the base of Hyperion that I've posted on this thread. And you can see for yourself that the claims of the mythical tree research community are baseless.

Just in case you want to treat your case of TMS, I'm posting the 360s again for you...

1st Image
Hyperion Tree panorama north - Famous Redwoods

2nd Image
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.2053...!7i8704!8i4352

3rd Image
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.2047...!7i8704!8i4352

4th Image

Old 11-24-2018, 09:54 AM

Lost Man Creek = Epicenter of significant discoveries including Behemoth of Lost Man Creek and certain other major trees.

Don't waste time following misleading GPS coordinates posted by certain sites of ill repute.

Old 12-31-2018, 04:56 PM

FR has been searching high and low for Helios for YEARS and come up empty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California