Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 12:09 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,787,190 times

Advertisements

I would recomend Oakland, but also look into the Eureka/Arcata area.

It is a fairly small town, but has an arts seen and is right on the coast with cheap cost of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 12:26 PM

70 posts, read 249,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave01 View Post
I would recomend Oakland, but also look into the Eureka/Arcata area.

It is a fairly small town, but has an arts seen and is right on the coast with cheap cost of living.

Thanks! I will have to go take a look.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:01 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,474,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtinUS View Post
My husband and I live in NYC. I'm 27, White, a writer who was born and raised in NYC and never lived anywhere else. My husband is African American, a painter and graphic designer, originally from Miami, Fl.

We are tired of NYC including the people, the expense, the dirtiness. It's not the NYC I grew up in, when life was actually affordable and fun. Now it's all commerciallized. But we thrive on the diversity, the fact that we can walk around, the parks, and the art community.

Maybe I'm looking for a paradise that doesn't exist, but would Chico be a good place for us to move to?

We want:
- Outdoor recreation and a reasonable drive to the coast
- An art community (not arts & crafts)
- Diversity (which is hard to find anywhere!) But at least an acceptance of it since we are a mixed race couple.
- Young People. I'm 27 and my husband is 29.
- Reasonable real estate. Rent a 2 bedroom house for $1,000. Buy a single family home or cottage for $250,000.

I've never lived outside of NYC and I'm afraid of moving and feeling isolated.

Thanks a million for any of your thoughts!
Chico and the surrounding area has alot to offer, and is pretty affordable, especially by California standards. But wages are generally low, jobs are scarce, and Butte County is one of the poorest in the state. Also, it can seem a bit "rednecky" and conservative, but overall folks are basically "live and let live".

Although candidly, blacks are few and far between there, and the next nearest major metropolitan area is Sacramento, aprox. 90 miles away (which might be a better fit initially). So you might feel kinda isolated in a small town like Chico, especially if you don't know anybody and you've never lived outside NYC.

Sounds like maybe you need to do a little "reconnaisance trip" out here!

Old 12-31-2008, 08:39 PM

3 posts, read 13,921 times
Default Chico and SLO both deserve a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Chico and the surrounding area has alot to offer, and is pretty affordable, especially by California standards. But wages are generally low, jobs are scarce, and Butte County is one of the poorest in the state. Also, it can seem a bit "rednecky" and conservative, but overall folks are basically "live and let live".

Although candidly, blacks are few and far between there, and the next nearest major metropolitan area is Sacramento, aprox. 90 miles away (which might be a better fit initially). So you might feel kinda isolated in a small town like Chico, especially if you don't know anybody and you've never lived outside NYC.

Sounds like maybe you need to do a little "reconnaisance trip" out here!

I really wanted to post to promote Chico for a place for you to take a look at. It is fairly rural if you are from the city, but it is diverse because of the college culture. The review by Mateo45 is pretty accurate and I agree with the need to visit. I have gone to college in Chico and SLO. They are similar towns with cheaper living in Chico. Chico is also less pretentious and less SoCal. SLO is beautiful, but not affordable. The weather there is great year-round. The weather in Chico is hot in the summer, but not as cold as NYC in the winter and rarely snow. The almond bloom in the spring is spectacular. Definitely come take a look. There is a 5 hour drive between towns so it is a doable trip in a day. Fly into Chico and then rent a car, drive to SLO. Then while you are here fly out of someplace cheaper down south. SLO is considered Central California. Chico is Northern California.

Good Luck in your search!

Old 03-29-2009, 02:37 AM

219 posts, read 507,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kate.bell View Post
there's a nice fountain park downtown where they have concerts in the park, etc. with all kinds of music and ppl attending them. And a pretty good Farmers Market.
Sounds a bit like Eugene minus the rain. Damned I miss the west coast.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:30 PM

30,906 posts, read 37,025,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtinUS View Post
Thanks CA! SLO looks great! I like it's fairly reasonable proximity to both LA and SF. Now I'm growing inpatient for our trip to scope the place out. Any reccommendations for what we should try to see in order to get a feel for the lifestlye there? We'll probably make a trip in January.

Best wishes!
Just a comment on SLO. It is half way between LA and SF, but not close to either. Both places are probably a 3 hour drive, assuming good traffic.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:36 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,564,527 times
Agreed with SLO! Check out Pismo and Shell Beaches (nearby) too - and Arroyo Grande, which is a very cool little town, and more affordable than SLO. Nipomo too, but you'll be more isolated in Nipomo.

The central coast of California truly is one of the world's most beautiful places

Old 07-17-2009, 02:00 AM

762 posts, read 2,034,361 times
I think Chico fits your description. I felt a strong sense of community there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California