Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 02:13 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times

Advertisements

In November Proposition 8 passed. Many of the people that voted for it were families with children at home. Many Catholics, Mormons, Baptists and faiths that traditionally have families that usually have plenty of children running around voted yes to Proposition 8.

Now our fine elected officials including the Gov voted to penalize those with children. In the past you claim your child as a dependent and had an instand $200 per child deduction. Not anymore. Instead of reducing the size of the government, like any private industry would need to do when times are hard, the government raises the taxes on its people.

Imagine a business increasing the cost of goods and services in a down economy. Prices are good for housing, autos, air fare, and other high ticket items. Business wants to sell and will do what it can to bring the consumer into the business.

The state is doing that to the each of us, selling its services at a higher cost instead of cutting back. We have one of the highest unemployment rates in the nation unless you are a state employee. Now it seems that the government has found a way to get back at those that voted against their belief system. Stick it to the families.

Just my thoughts anyway. Others are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 05:06 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
I'm not getting the Prop 8 tie-in to this announcement of yours.

But, I didn't get Prop 8, so there you go.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:00 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I'm not getting the Prop 8 tie-in to this announcement of yours.
Me either.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:09 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
I don't understand the correlation between Prop. 8 and the child deduction. I have children and I voted NO on Prop. 8 and I'm not Mormon, Catholic or Baptist. Could you perhaps expound on this a bit more? Sources? Facts?

Old 03-21-2009, 12:44 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,611,786 times
Very poor analogy w/ no relation to each other.

Old 03-21-2009, 02:04 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,243,787 times
I see the relation; but it is absurd.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:17 PM

301 posts, read 1,511,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
In November Proposition 8 passed. Many of the people that voted for it were families with children at home. Many Catholics, Mormons, Baptists and faiths that traditionally have families that usually have plenty of children running around voted yes to Proposition 8.

Now our fine elected officials including the Gov voted to penalize those with children. In the past you claim your child as a dependent and had an instand $200 per child deduction. Not anymore. Instead of reducing the size of the government, like any private industry would need to do when times are hard, the government raises the taxes on its people.

Imagine a business increasing the cost of goods and services in a down economy. Prices are good for housing, autos, air fare, and other high ticket items. Business wants to sell and will do what it can to bring the consumer into the business.

The state is doing that to the each of us, selling its services at a higher cost instead of cutting back. We have one of the highest unemployment rates in the nation unless you are a state employee. Now it seems that the government has found a way to get back at those that voted against their belief system. Stick it to the families.

Just my thoughts anyway. Others are welcome.
I don't understand why you think you are entitled to pay less taxes than everyone else just because you have children. If anything, you should pay MORE. It costs California taxpayers $6000-$9000 a year just to educate each your children. It is ridiculous for the state to provide financial rewards to people who breed and further strain resources.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:40 PM

188 posts, read 920,427 times
Couldn't you just as easily connect this to backlash from the octo-mom? I don't believe that there is a conspiracy by the government to get revenge on families over prop 8.

Old 03-21-2009, 04:46 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,611,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker400 View Post
Couldn't you just as easily connect this to backlash from the octo-mom? I don't believe that there is a conspiracy by the government to get revenge on families over prop 8.
Agree entirely. The "revenge" is not coming from the state government but from the community [ie. boycotts\ ostracism\ ridicule].

Old 03-21-2009, 05:37 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,319,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Now our fine elected officials including the Gov voted to penalize those with children. In the past you claim your child as a dependent and had an instand $200 per child deduction. Not anymore.
Get over yourself. The economy is in the tank and the state has a $40 billion hole in its budget so it has to cut. Why the hell should your sacred cow be spared when everyone else's is getting gutted?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California