Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 01:51 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times

Advertisements

I don't think you are quite understanding the situation, whether he is a union worker or not, there are almost no jobs in California and they do not pay as well as NY it appears. You are right, living in CA probably isn't any more expensive than Long Island, and to find a decent apartment in the Los Angeles area for $1300 a month isn't going to be easy, not in a good school district.

You mention places like Santa Rosa, it is a little town or city, actually way north of San Francisco. San Diego will probably be totally out of your price range as well.

Now, for the positive: Trader Joes is everywhere in California, that won't be a problem and there are lots of fun things to do, but you have to have the money to do them. Of course you will need 2 cars, you don't depend on rapid transit in California.

You may want to consider Sacrameto, it is a little less expensive and there is lots to do in the area.

You think some of us are trying to discourage you, that is right, we are and for good reason. You have a child, you need to support him and the chances of your boyfriend finding a job right away are not the greatest plus even at $25 an hour before taxes, about 1/2 of your income (take home) would go to your rent. That doesn't leave much for health ins. car ins, food, clothing, utilities, gas and any payments you might have. Again, that is based on him finding a job right away. You haven't said anything about your going to work, but it will be even harder for you.

I hope you will sit down and really think about this long and hard. Ca is a great place in many ways but trying to make a living there right now isn't one of the great things.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreita30 View Post
what about areas in l.a. does any one know the best areas, i like noise and things happening around me unlike most people i guess but not really dangerous areas i love new york city if that helps and i think its good to raise kids a round alot of culture i am seriously thinking thousand oaks and about san fran isnt have a huge amount of homeless people and crime
You say you are thinking about 1000 oaks and then your comment "san fran isnt have a huge amount of homeless people and crime" That sentence makes no sense. Are you trying to say, there isn't much crime in San Francisco and not many homeless people? Where are you getting that idea? No, San Francisco would be a disaster. You couldn't afford anything in the city, not to mention I really don't think you want to raise your son there unless you have the money for private schools.

As for Los Angeles, any of the areas that are safe and have good schools are out of your price range.

Nita

Old 07-23-2009, 04:24 PM

21 posts, read 47,072 times
i don't understand why some of you guys are so negative. i meant doesn't san fran have alot of homeless people and crime, i don't want to live there but there must be a town in california that would be a good fit for my family, and jobs here are very hard to come by too the economy is bad everywhere but if my boyfriend can get a job there why would it be bad for us to move. and does any one who lives in california have any good tips and advice of good areas, please! thinking thousand oaks,santa clarita,simi valley,diamond bar,san diego,any info about these towns from people who live there would be great thanks

Old 07-23-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
i don't understand why some of you guys are so negative. i meant doesn't san fran have alot of homeless people and crime, i don't want to live there but there must be a town in california that would be a good fit for my family, and jobs here are very hard to come by too the economy is bad everywhere but if my boyfriend can get a job there why would it be bad for us to move. and does any one who lives in california have any good tips and advice of good areas, please! thinking thousand oaks,santa clarita,simi valley,diamond bar,san diego,any info about these towns from people who live there would be great thanks
The problem which is going over your head< he may not be able to get a job. Rowlett already mentioned her brother, a construction union worker with 17 years experience has been out of work for 6 months. Sure if your boyfriend can get a job prior to moving to California and be assured on continual employment come on, but this isn't going to happen. As for the areas you are thing about, you can't afford a 2 bedroom apartment in some of them: Diamond Bar, no, San Diego, no, I don't know about Sant Clarita, and probably not in Simi Valley, but maybe. My brother lives there. It is a great area but again, pricey.

Again, if he can be assured of employment it is a different story. I, along with others just do not think you are being realistic. If people are getting laid off right and left why would he be able to get a job that is secure?

Nita

Old 07-23-2009, 07:53 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,727,521 times
Quote:
Why not post your San Diego questions on the San Diego forum and post your L.A. area questions on the L.A. forum, etc.
You have conflicting criteria ... you want too much (good schools, low crime, no homeless, affordable housing, exciting city life, etc.) and you can't afford it.
I know, it sucks.
So actually, in this case, i do have to agree with some of the advice people are giving you even though it seems negative.
If it was just you and your man, it would be different.
But your needs due to having a family, create a more difficult scenario where it's not possible to just come out here and "wing it".
It's a bummer.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:26 PM

109 posts, read 368,134 times
I will speak as to Santa Clarita/Valencia since I live there. Right now it is very feasible for you to find a rental home here for $2000--but for $1200-1300...Im not sure. Even in the ghetto that price is somewhat hard to find. There are nice townhomes here for about $1600-1800 and up if you can swing it but other than that...no. I know its hard but CA is a very expensive place to live which is why CA is seeing the most amount of people in the history of CA actually moving out of state rather than moving to CA. The economy sucks, people are being laid of by the hundreds of thousands, and its butt ass expensive.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:14 PM

21 posts, read 47,072 times
i didn't say i dont want homeless, i dont mind the homeless, remember im from new york and i wouldn't move there if my boyfriend didnt have a job lined up already and who is any one to say he cant get one,he has one here and i dont want to rent a house, i want an apartment and it doesn't need to be a 2 bedroom, i've looked at apartments online and seen plenty for our price range, so my question isn't do you think i should move to cali and if i can do it, i know i can, my question was can anyone from california tell me areas they consider to be nice for a family and some of you must not know how expensive it is to live in new york

Old 07-24-2009, 07:40 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,533,345 times
Quote:
my question was can anyone from california tell me areas they consider to be nice for a family and some of you must not know how expensive it is to live in new york

I am from California, and I gave you my advise.

Here it is again, Try the high desert Victorville, Apple Valley, Hesperia, Pinon Hills. And maybe parts of San Bernardino, Fontana area. Those areas meet your income ratio and nothing more.
The other areas such as Thousand Oaks, Diamond Bar, Chino, Loma Linda, Highland, San Diego (big NO), Simi Valley, San Fernado are totally out of the questions.

Sure you can find apartments all day long in your price range but the area & schools reflect that range. Every one of these places has a getto area as mostly everyother place in America. Just because you can afford the apartment can you afford the utlilities? Don't know about where you are but California POS taxes went up from 8% to 10%. You pay California State Tax out of your pay check as well as Federal. You'll have union dues which are higher because you live in California. You'll have to get renters insurance, and car insurance is really high especially in high traffic areas.
Your vehicle registration is triple the amount you would pay anywhere else. Your gas bill with likely triple too from all the commuting. You pay a taxed fee on your gas in California suppose to pay for road construction as well as a special fuel blend for the smog state requirements.
Do you have extra time for commute rather then spending family time, because the BF will be commuting longer and longer hours. So less time with family. Even if the job is only 15-20 miles away....it will take an easy hour or more to get there.
The places I listed in the desert area are just that...far out from the big city and the commutes are horriable. Driving up and down the 15 fwy is hard on any vehicle, so you'll replace vehicles a lot more. Also it's horriable during the winter when snow falls and 52 car pile ups happen and the fwy shuts down. Which happens a lot. Oh and the santa ana winds.....it is 95% windy in California.
Union workers in California have to travel far and wide for work.

My brother lives in Lakewood, CA and travels as far as Mojave to Turlock (N Cal) for his past jobs. Anything remotely close to San Diego is not going to fit your requirements either. Maybe Escondido out lining areas but not San Diego.

I am sure it's expensive in New York. I would still consider somewhere else or stay put for awhile.

Good Luck!

Old 07-24-2009, 07:54 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,533,345 times
Things people don't like about CA:

--high cost of housing
--high taxes for mediocre/poor services
--the politics (if you're moderate/conservative)
--not particularly family oriented (partly because of cost of living, and partly just the general culture here)
--illegal immigrants who use a disproportionate amount of state services
--Earthquake/natural disaster risk (both Northern CA and Southern CA are overdue for major earthquakes (7.0+) according so seismologists).

Taken from another post on here.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:23 AM

411 posts, read 962,192 times
Try looking into Sun Valley or Tujunga. Santa Clarita is thirty minutes north of the Bob Hope Airport but if commuting, that drive can be a bazzturd.

I just found a place in Hidden Hills for $2k a month 3+1 HOUSE and lots of property for a friend of mine.

Check out west side rentals, they have a great locator map with all the details. I'm not affiliated in any way with them, and they do have the best listings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California