Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 02:44 PM

43,767 posts, read 44,538,330 times

Advertisements

Outside of California probably the wine from Napa Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 04:04 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,536,044 times
Frozen Bananas, first introduced at the Fun Zone on the Balboa Penninsula in Newport Beach!

Old 10-04-2009, 04:06 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,927,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
What food or dish is CA most known for or best represented by?

On the edge of the continent you guys have received people from all points eastward in the US and from around the world. So what has congealed into the regional or state dish(es)?

Yes, you have a big state, but can you narrow it down to a few?

Is it:
seafood (a coastal state after all)
bbq
Mexican
Napa valley chic
sourdough biscuits from the 49ers?

If we have to regionalize it, so be it. What's more Norcal and more Socal?

Ps- mods, can we keep this in Cal.? I'd really like to know from Californians talking about their state.
I do want to say, you can't ask the mods or anyone to keep this confined to Californians only, many here have lived in Ca but no longer do or visit the state often and have opinions. That being said, yes, number 1 has to be Seafood and and I would say Mexican would follow next with sourdough anything being third. I certainly would not put BBQ on the list at all. Living in 8 states, everywhere from CA to the east coast I would put CA and BBQ at the bottom. After sourdough I would rate it's asian food, mainly because to the asian influence.

Nita

Old 10-04-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Dungeness crab or Cobb salad.
How could I forget Cobb Salad, but I am not sure people thoughout the country would connect CA and Cobb salad.

Nita

Old 10-04-2009, 04:15 PM

16,806 posts, read 40,000,078 times
The chili size.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:33 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,248,521 times
The San Francisco Style Burrito, which came into being in the 1960's in SF's Mission District. Many national chains such as QDoba and Chipotle, etc, are imitating this style of burrito.

San Francisco burrito - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-04-2009, 08:25 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,962,705 times
Sourdough bread!!!!

Thank you 49ers!!!!

Old 10-05-2009, 08:43 AM

559 posts, read 1,381,630 times
I'd agree with the several posters who've mentioned fast food and sushi (in general and the California roll in particular) as having their epicenters in SoCal.

Americanized Chinese food (chop suey, fortune cookies) have California as their ground zero.

I had no idea that such a thing as Santa Maria BBQ even existed. Thanks for the knowledge. Is there any place in L.A. that serves this?

I don't know if the French dip sandwich is attributed to California by people outside of Los Angeles but it did originate here. The debate over whether it was birthed at Philippe's or Cole's PE is as hot as the mustard at the former.

Alice Water's Berkeley restaurant, Chez Panisse, is commonly acknowledged as the founder of the California fusion style and the renaissance of using fresh, local ingredients.

Taco trucks are huge in L.A.--again, I don't know if people outside of L.A. associate them with California or not.

Lastly, the Oki Dog.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on kool aid View Post
I'd agree with the several posters who've mentioned fast food and sushi (in general and the California roll in particular) as having their epicenters in SoCal.

Americanized Chinese food (chop suey, fortune cookies) have California as their ground zero.

I had no idea that such a thing as Santa Maria BBQ even existed. Thanks for the knowledge. Is there any place in L.A. that serves this?

I don't know if the French dip sandwich is attributed to California by people outside of Los Angeles but it did originate here. The debate over whether it was birthed at Philippe's or Cole's PE is as hot as the mustard at the former.

Alice Water's Berkeley restaurant, Chez Panisse, is commonly acknowledged as the founder of the California fusion style and the renaissance of using fresh, local ingredients.

Taco trucks are huge in L.A.--again, I don't know if people outside of L.A. associate them with California or not.

Lastly, the Oki Dog.
I forgot about Philippes but I don't think many people outside of Ca would connect the two. I guess that is what I was thinking about when I answered the question originally. What is Ca known for, not what is their best? InandOut of course is at the top of the list as well. Oh, just asked hubby, the first thing he said was, oranges..

Nita

Old 10-05-2009, 10:02 AM

7,371 posts, read 16,038,654 times
Rice-a-Roni, the San Francisco treat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California