Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 11:55 AM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,096 posts, read 30,411,363 times

Advertisements

What food or dish is CA most known for or best represented by?

On the edge of the continent you guys have received people from all points eastward in the US and from around the world. So what has congealed into the regional or state dish(es)?

Yes, you have a big state, but can you narrow it down to a few?

Is it:
seafood (a coastal state after all)
bbq
Mexican
Napa valley chic
sourdough biscuits from the 49ers?

If we have to regionalize it, so be it. What's more Norcal and more Socal?

Ps- mods, can we keep this in Cal.? I'd really like to know from Californians talking about their state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 12:13 PM

197 posts, read 977,439 times
Garlic fries, at least in NorCal (Gilroy garlic is the best).

Old 10-04-2009, 12:22 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,336,401 times
California (in general) seems to be famous for its In-N-Out™ "Double Double" burgers. Some folks will say that they are overrated. But for a fast-food burger, it's probably one of the finest you'll find. That's the main point of contention. If you compare a Double-Double to something you'll find at-for example-Fuddruckers, yes. It will be a disappointment. OTOH if you compare it to anything you get at McDonalds®, then it's one of the best.

In the Central Valley (where I am), Tri-Tip steak is hugely popular. It varies greatly in terms of preparation and quality. I'm new to living in the area and quickly learning that a good old fashioned Western mesquite barbecue pit with a sizzling (non smoky) steak is all but impossible to find outside of cooking it myself.

In SoCal, it seems that everyone is a sucker for Mexican, particularly fish tacos. Why, I don't know. But some folks just cannot function unless they are within walking distance of a freaking fish taco or carne asada plate. But I should point out that I see very few actual Mexicans dining at Mexican restaurants.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:23 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,022,530 times
Cioppino - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-04-2009, 12:27 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,050,321 times
California Rolls????

Old 10-04-2009, 12:46 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,771,607 times
The most obvious cuisine choice is Santa Maria Style BBQ. It's the only cuisine that is distinctively California.

You could also say Sourdough bread. San Francisco has been known for Sourdough since at least the 1850s and is home to many of the Sourdough bread producers in the US.

As Des-Lab mentioned, "Fresh Mex" also has grown from California roots. Baja Fresh, Rubio's, La Salsa, and various local chains all originated in CA.

Bigtime franchised fast food and family restaurants also have roots here. McDonalds, In-N-Out, Carls Jr, Taco Bell, Green Burrito, Del Taco, Denny's, Coco's, Marie Callender's, Carrows, etc all originated in CA.

Old 10-04-2009, 01:59 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,523,794 times
Speaking of Santa Maria Style Barbecue, we had some friends visiting from Reno, we took them to Jocko's in Nipomo, as we do all company. Daryl is a meat and potatoes, hunting, guys kind of guy, he declared his Spencer steak the best steak he had ever had.

I told him that Jocko's ribs were good, but mine were better... Last night I barbecued ribs for him on the 80 year old barbecue at our ranch.

After eating a few ribs, he asked me if I was familiar with the film, Rooster Cogburn, wherein Robert Duvall says to John Wayne, "them are some mighty big words for a one eyed fatman" Then he explained, he thought my stating my ribs were the best in the world were "some mighty big words" but, like John Wayne, my words proved accurate, he said they were indeed the best he had ever had.

First rule of barbecued spare ribs,,,, NO SAUCE!!

Old 10-04-2009, 02:05 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,771,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post

First rule of barbecued spare ribs,,,, NO SAUCE!!
BBQ sauce is the bane to good BBQ, especially ribs.

Old 10-04-2009, 02:21 PM

302 posts, read 864,327 times
Would it be sushi (the aforementioned California Rolls)?

It tends to be heavy in the sundried tomato/pine-nut/artichoke hearts cuisine, which I love; to sum this up into a dish, lets call it Angel Hair Pomodoro

Old 10-04-2009, 02:35 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,754,662 times
Dungeness crab or Cobb salad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California