Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2010, 10:27 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,931,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R66 View Post
Today at Ralph's Supermarket in Canoga Park a young Italian woman ( she was lying, she is most likely Mexican ) was walking around in the parking lot pushing a baby carriage and had another in the oven ( she is pregnant ). She was begging for money.
Last year, as I was loading groceries into the trunk of my 1997 high mileage beater Chevy, a young Latina drove up to me and asked for gas money so she and her child could leave her abusive boyfriend. She was driving a late model SUV.

Hint to beggars: Don't waste time asking an old fart in South Fontana, who is loading his month's worth of groceries into his POS car, for gas money when you're stylishly dressed, sitting in your new SUV, and your toddler is sitting in an Aprica car seat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 10:50 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
Those days are over...but it's nothing new for countries to have more than one official language, Canada adopted French to appease Quebec.
Canada didn't "adopt" French. French has been spoken in what is now Quebec for as long or longer than English has pretty much anywhere in Canada or the United States.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Where outside the USA can you find an area the size of Miami-Dade where 100% pure Americans can live, work and speak English and maintain our culture without being kidnapped, hassled, scammed, etc? The only places I know of are small Expat communities in Mexico and Costa Rica and those Americans living there, most abide by the local rules and respect the local culture and speak a decent level of Spanish.
While I agree that Americans living abroad by and large abide by local rules and are rarely troublemakers, on the other hand I must say that my observation of them has not been that they overwhelmingly learn the local language (when it is not English). Many, many actually continue to use English almost exclusively in their dealings with the locals.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:57 AM

514 posts, read 686,598 times
Quote:
Canada didn't "adopt" French. French has been spoken in what is now Quebec for as long or longer than English has pretty much anywhere in Canada or the United States.
The French settled Quebec in 1608, conquered by Britain in 1759. It takes the average immigrant about 10 years to master the new home country language, it takes the Japanese about 10 minutes, after 300 years the French are still working on it..

Joke there, for the humor impaired.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:58 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,379,702 times
Quote:
This user is 100% correct.

Over 500 years ago, my ancestors were maids and working stiff labor in Europe. They wanted a better life. The difference is my ancestors adapted the US lifestyle and learned English. They made their way from NYC to Virginia settling there and later in Tennessee.

Today's immigrants could care less about the US or English. They have no desire to honor our Constitution or even read the Amendments. They could care less who our last 7 Presidents were.

Example: Take a drive to Miami-Dade and open your eyes. What you see are 7 small sh*tty cars in the front yard of a small 1950s pink house with a tall 12 foot sloppy fence around the property. The house looks like sh*t and they could care less. I bet you not one Cuban in Hialeah speaks fluent English nor do they care to learn. Now I ask all of you here ... Where outside the USA can you find an area the size of Miami-Dade where 100% pure Americans can live, work and speak English and maintain our culture without being kidnapped, hassled, scammed, etc? The only places I know of are small Expat communities in Mexico and Costa Rica and those Americans living there, most abide by the local rules and respect the local culture and speak a decent level of Spanish.

The only Americans I know of that give Americans a bad name ( abroad ) are young black American men that frequent 3rd world Strip Clubs, Termas, etc. These are mostly young wealthy pro sport athletes of the NBA, NFL and MLB or Rap Artists.

I beg all of you ... The next time you see a filthy rich Persian, Isreali Jew or any Middle Easterner driving around in her $250,000 Bentley not speaking English and not dressing like the rest of us simple working Americans, go tell her off. Give her a piece of your mind … I call it "A Spirited Release of Select Words That Educate Our Newly Arrived." If you can get your Educational Attention Getter on video via your cell phone then PM me and I will forward you $100.00 USD no questions asked.

Thank you
This post belongs on Stormfront. How the hell does City-Data allow this crap?

Old 08-13-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
While I agree that Americans living abroad by and large abide by local rules and are rarely troublemakers, on the other hand I must say that my observation of them has not been that they overwhelmingly learn the local language (when it is not English). Many, many actually continue to use English almost exclusively in their dealings with the locals.
There are several hundred thousand anglo type Americans living in Mexico, mostly in anglo type American enclaves speaking english.

In Brazil there is an area that was settled by American Slave holders who fled there after the Civil War, they speak english, attend protestant churches, have rodeos and picnics with red checked table cloths. Just like usn's, been doing that for 150 years

Old 08-13-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
They could care less who our last 7 Presidents were.
How much less could they care? It seems to me that if they could care less, but don't, then they care who our last 7 Presidents were.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:05 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,379,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highnlite View Post
There are several hundred thousand anglo type Americans living in Mexico, mostly in anglo type American enclaves speaking english.

In Brazil there is an area that was settled by American Slave holders who fled there after the Civil War, they speak english, attend protestant churches, have rodeos and picnics with red checked table cloths. Just like usn's, been doing that for 150 years
Total there are about one million Americans in Mexico; the largest American diaspora of any country and 1% of that countries population.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highnlite View Post
The French settled Quebec in 1608, conquered by Britain in 1759. It takes the average immigrant about 10 years to master the new home country language, it takes the Japanese about 10 minutes, after 300 years the French are still working on it..

Joke there, for the humor impaired.

Except that for French-speaking Canadians, we're not really talking about a "new home country" that they moved to...

And French speakers who have moved to the States (or even to other parts of Canada outside Quebec to be quite honest) learn and use English as quickly as anyone else.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:22 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,383,215 times
Quote:
This user is 100% correct.

Over 500 years ago, my ancestors were maids and working stiff labor in Europe. They wanted a better life. The difference is my ancestors adapted the US lifestyle and learned English. They made their way from NYC to Virginia settling there and later in Tennessee.

Today's immigrants could care less about the US or English. They have no desire to honor our Constitution or even read the Amendments. They could care less who our last 7 Presidents were.

Example: Take a drive to Miami-Dade and open your eyes. What you see are 7 small sh*tty cars in the front yard of a small 1950s pink house with a tall 12 foot sloppy fence around the property. The house looks like sh*t and they could care less. I bet you not one Cuban in Hialeah speaks fluent English nor do they care to learn. Now I ask all of you here ... Where outside the USA can you find an area the size of Miami-Dade where 100% pure Americans can live, work and speak English and maintain our culture without being kidnapped, hassled, scammed, etc? The only places I know of are small Expat communities in Mexico and Costa Rica and those Americans living there, most abide by the local rules and respect the local culture and speak a decent level of Spanish.

The only Americans I know of that give Americans a bad name ( abroad ) are young black American men that frequent 3rd world Strip Clubs, Termas, etc. These are mostly young wealthy pro sport athletes of the NBA, NFL and MLB or Rap Artists.

I beg all of you ... The next time you see a filthy rich Persian, Isreali Jew or any Middle Easterner driving around in her $250,000 Bentley not speaking English and not dressing like the rest of us simple working Americans, go tell her off. Give her a piece of your mind … I call it "A Spirited Release of Select Words That Educate Our Newly Arrived." If you can get your Educational Attention Getter on video via your cell phone then PM me and I will forward you $100.00 USD no questions asked.

Thank you
No thanks. You are scary. I hope you stay in Miami [poor Miami
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California