Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2010, 05:50 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,403,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
It would be illegal, if they were coming here illegally, just as in the case of the Mexicans. I was using Iceland as a polar example (no pun intended ).
You missed the point, if Iceland were annexed, they wouldn't be illegal. Annexation would make it part of the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 06:04 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,980,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
You missed the point, if Iceland were annexed, they wouldn't be illegal. Annexation would make it part of the US.
Obviously I didn't mean legally annexed. I meant "next door." You get the point.

BTW, has anyone seen or posted the immigration laws of Mexico? Really interesting, an eye opener.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:10 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,403,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Obviously I didn't mean legally annexed. I meant "next door." You get the point.

BTW, has anyone seen or posted the immigration laws of Mexico? Really interesting, an eye opener.
I only understood what you said. If annexed isn't what you meant, an explanation before this reply would have been more timely

Old 08-12-2010, 06:23 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,984,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highnlite View Post
Ludachris, you nailed it. I think all this talk about how awful illegals are is just prejudice against Mexicans. None of this stuff is new, but it always had the word Mexican stuck to it, now they use either Mexican or illegal.
Then you think wrong. Assuming that because someone is against illegal immigration is somehow anti-Mexican is ignorant. The reason it may appear that illegal and immigrant usually go together is because it's easy for someone from Mexico to come to the country right next door. It's geography, not prejudice.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:26 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,980,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I only understood what you said. If annexed isn't what you meant, an explanation before this reply would have been more timely
Didn't realize I used the wrong word till I read your comments, obviously not getting what I thought I was saying

Old 08-12-2010, 06:32 PM

514 posts, read 687,292 times
Quote:
Assuming that because someone is against illegal immigration is somehow anti-Mexican is ignorant
No, if you have paid any attention to anything I have posted on the subject you would have noted that, anti illegal, generally means anti illegal Mexican, which fits right into the 150 years of anti Mexican racism inherent in the anglo culture of California and the south west. Here, let me repeat what my grandfather said in the 1920-30's.

Speaking of the Santa Barbara Fiesta Days, he said, "everyone cusses the Mexican, except during Fiesta Days" Still do, pay attention to the words that are used.

PS, a note to Mudgie, note Santa Barbara, not SLO.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:33 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,396,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Then you think wrong. Assuming that because someone is against illegal immigration is somehow anti-Mexican is ignorant. The reason it may appear that illegal and immigrant usually go together is because it's easy for someone from Mexico to come to the country right next door. It's geography, not prejudice.
That's reasonable. I don't think anyone is in favor of an open border except money-hungry big business who really don't have America's interest at heart. The worst kind of capitalist who reaps the rewards but could care less about the needs of his countrymen\ women. If and when the border is finally closed with Mexico our nation can heal the wounds of anger. Someone mentioned Mexico's immigration policy; they are ruthless in keeping Guatemala and Belize people from crossing into Mexico. I think most nations guard their borders for a variety of reasons. Why the United States has taken so long to secure the border is anyone guess.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:13 PM

514 posts, read 687,292 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone is in favor of an open border except money-hungry big business who really don't have America's interest at heart.
We need to rephrase that, since we know all liberals are on welfare, it could only be, I don't think anyone is in favor of an open border except Republican money-hungry big business who really don't have America's interest at heart.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:06 PM
R66

145 posts, read 419,981 times
Today, I sent the following email to a long time friend who happens to be a native Angelino ... a guy born and raised in Canoga Park. He is now 43 years old, married with one child, working and living north of San Francisco and he appears very happy with his decision to move away from Los Angeles. He departed the Valey in 1997.

The Valley has changed a lot in 15 years .... Persians and Mexicans now seem to dominate very corner. Persians and other Immigrants do not respect the US culture. Sad deal here ..... I can imagine how you feel as a native Angelino.
-------
And my buddy's response .... " That’s why we got the f*ck outta there. "

Last edited by R66; 08-12-2010 at 10:15 PM..

Old 08-12-2010, 10:12 PM
R66

145 posts, read 419,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTown11 View Post
The smart ones are getting out while the getting is good. There is no answer to the fiscal calamity coming. The state and its citizens beleive they can have their cake and eat it too. We will all get what we deserve...well, not I, I plan to be part of the exodus. I sure as hell didn't vote for this, alas, I'm always in the minority - and when I am in the majority (Prop 8), my vote is overturned. Not that I care anymore...I stopped being a Californian about 18 months ago. Now I just need to get my physical body out of California to rejoin my mental state.
The best real and direct comment in this Thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California