Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2010, 11:15 AM

514 posts, read 686,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
HaLF of those lands may be PUBLIC, but how much of it is inhabitable?
Almost None of it, by law, I think that would be obvious. That is why it is available for Paradise, as I wrote.

That land, aside from the Military withdrawals is there for you, you can recreate in it, you can run an appropriate business on it, but with few exceptions you cannot live on it. Which means, whatever megalopolis you live in, you are a short drive from god's country, which he is kind enough to share with you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 11:19 AM

You're the one who brought up enlisting. I simply responded. For the record, I returned in 1969, over 40 years ago and decidedly got on with my life after finishing 12 years of service. Of course, since then there's been Desert Storm, that one of my sons enlisted for and another tried to, Iraq and Afghanistan. Which have you volunteered for.

As for the rest, you have a truly elitest view. Ergo (that's Latin for "therefore"), you're irrelevant!

No, I brought up complaining, apparently I pushed a button on you, I am a bit surprised, living in Missouri I thought you would go off on hogs and hog wallows, silly me.

As for the rest, precisely what is my "truly elitest" point of view? That I think one's happiness depends on ones decisions?

Old 08-11-2010, 11:24 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highnlite View Post
You're the one who brought up enlisting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highnlite View Post
Rather like the military, if you were drafted, then you have every right to complain, but if you joined of your own free will, then complaining seems a bit daft.
Actually, it was the other way around. But nice try!

G'Day!

Old 08-11-2010, 11:39 AM

You got my point, thanks for submitting.

I noticed you used my mis type happily, but missed out on a chance to explain my elitism.

Again, myself, and millions of others, understand the state government has serious structural problems, but, so what? The sun comes up, and we go out and have a good day (with low humidity).

Old 08-11-2010, 12:36 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,252,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R66 View Post
Today, I went back to my old Gym in Chatsworth back when it was called Holiday Spa but now it's named Ballys. Back in the late 80s and 90s, I heard Spanish every now and then but tonight I heard English maybe 3 times. Today, I met an old American man on Topanga at a Tire Shop filling up his Scooter. He was wearing a Cap that said Montana. The old man is living in the SF Valley since 1954. I asked him about the Valley now and he said to me surprised by my question ..." The Valley is a Toilet ".
Sad, I grew up in Canoga Park, my cousins in Van Nuys, and my mom was born and raised in North Hollywood. I haven't been back there for quite awhile and that was to attend LASFS one night in No Hollywood. We made sure the doors were locked while we were driving down the street.

I moved from Riverside two years ago, and in part because in ten years its heading that way unless the economy picks up. It's at 14 percent unemplyment and when I left there were empty homes everywhere, at least they appeared empty. At night the druggies gather. This economic disastor has hurried up the ghettoization of a lot of places I'd guess and certainly helps spread the drug areas far and wide.

Here in OK I don't lock my door unless I leave or the straight on north winds are blowing hard since the door needs replacing as it will blow open. I know my neighbors, can go and ask for a favor without feeling like I should be nervous, and despite being from a very different place have been accepted. I loved what California was when I was growing up in the Valley, and guess what? Found something close again but had to go half a continent away.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:43 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,252,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Yeah! Just because they still have a total of five children and six grandchildren living there, as well as many friends. How dare they be concerned about what's happening there, and not? The idea!

Don't gotta live near urban hubs, huh? Try being a couple of professional political/legislative analysts who have to interact with the Legislature and the Governor's Office almost daily and living in the boonies. It just doesn't work.

Pollyana comes immediately to mind, as does Willy Wonka. It must be nice to be so insulated. Not everyone's that fortunate.
Exactly. My son is still in California and most of the family. For now. Half of them have plans to move on. And why can't I speak my mind about what was lost when it was my experience from being a third generation native?

When you say why did YOU move, you should expect people to say why and from their own point of view. Nobody is claiming that everyone needs to share it.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Exactly. My son is still in California and most of the family. For now. Half of them have plans to move on. And why can't I speak my mind about what was lost when it was my experience from being a third generation native?

When you say why did YOU move, you should expect people to say why and from their own point of view. Nobody is claiming that everyone needs to share it.
My mother has a chair and a salad bowl that came to California in a covered wagon, with her predecessors, about 1856, what is that? 7 generations?

I live on the farm that my Grandfather began farming on, in 1908. Still owned by us, still farmed.

I think I have my street cred.

I left this state 41 years ago, to, much to curmudgeons shock, go to Vietnam (a really dumb move) I have lived in several other states, and now am back.

I think I know whereof I speak.

When you, that Californian, "move on" when you settle in some small town, you will be known as one more damned Californian, Californicating the rest of the country. May as well stay here and enjoy the weather.

Curmudgeon wants to make disparaging remarks about me because I am content in this state. Why? Could it be because he left this state because he was not happy here, only to discover that "happy" is internal not external?

Old 08-11-2010, 02:22 PM

do do do do do do do do do, still waiting ole Mudggie.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:45 PM

212 posts, read 475,972 times

The future of California must involve keeping and enticing young professionals... As businesses go, so do the people who work for them. There are some businesses that must stay in California... Tourism, Entertainment, Trade/Transportation, Agriculture, Real estate, Health care and Education... But not many others...

Manufacturing, defense contracting, aeronautics, high-tech, computer tech, finance, energy... can leave.

Maybe we should worry about not loosing the others, while trying not to overtax the one's that remain... Also, while trying to not make it even more expensive to live here.

At least consider this for the next generation of tax payers, 'cause their gonna have to pay for ALOT of what the boomers are charging on the old government credit card.

Cost of Living 1st Quarter 2010

Old 08-11-2010, 03:04 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,544,016 times
Haven't taken part in this type of discussion in a while...

After getting back from a 12 day visit in NorCal last week (staying in the Bay Area, Monterey Peninsula, and Sacramento region) I can tell you it's much like I remember it to be - crowded, fast paced, fairly unfriendly, a little more run down, still amazingly expensive, and still very materialistic and flashy. And at the same time, the weather was very consistent and slightly cool for this time of year, the areas outside the urban landscapes were still gorgeous, plenty of great food and cultural influences from all over the world, we watched dolphins in Carmel, got a glimpse of the classic golden rolling hills with scattered oaks, found that 95% of my friends and family were still employed and 99% still enjoyed living in CA, and in the end, I wish I had more time to enjoy more of the areas I love in CA.

The problem we found with moving away from CA and going back to visit is that most all of our time is spent visiting friends and family, not visiting the places we loved to visit before we left (wine country, redwoods, different beaches and coastal regions, the Sierra foothills, Tahoe, etc). Not enough time in our trips to see everyone and all the great sights.

There are plenty of things not to like about CA, especially in the more populated and expensive areas. And even more so for the people who remember CA before it was so populated. Just like any area that has seen the type of growth CA's urban regions have seen, you'll find many who don't like the changes and wish for the "old times". But many don't know any different and still enjoy it for the positive aspects. I found that I still really don't care to live in the Bay Area again, at least not at this point of my life. We would have to compromise too much for it and it's becoming too crowded, a little more run down overall, and still extremely expensive. But we looked at some areas that I think we could be perfectly happy in outside of Sacramento, which will keep us close to family and friends in the Bay Area.

Different strokes for different folks. There will always be plenty of people who love, and would like to live in CA, no matter how many unhappy people you see in forums like this. Many can see past the negatives because they enjoy the positives so much more. I know this because I made sure to talk to as many of my friends and family as I could about this subject while I was there. Almost none of them wanted to leave the state. It seems that most of the people who are not unhappy in CA are not spending their time in forums like this talking about CA.

I've found that the CA forums are made up mostly of two groups - those looking to move to an area in CA and those who want to move away from, or have already moved away from CA. You don't find a huge number of people who live in CA and are content. I'm thinking that might be the same for many of the other state forums on this site. Curmudgeon is a good example of this. I just looked over his past 30 posts, only one of them being in the Arkansas forum, where the other 29 were in CA forums. It seems people that are content where they are don't spend much time in their home state/region forum, which is probably why you see the types of posts you do.

In any case, there is nothing wrong with CA. And then again, everything's wrong with it. Don't expect to get a completely balanced sampling of opinions in this forum though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California