Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2010, 07:44 PM

398 posts, read 1,331,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highnlite View Post
If you are here, I imagine you have your housing taken care of, livability is pretty much ones opinion, but I find this state highly livable, weather is great, lots of things to do. discretionary income, cost of groceries is pretty uniform, I don't see a big difference, in fact my income now is lower than it was when I lived in the low tax state, but we live well, and enjoy life.

Crime? We have never locked the doors to our home, and we have no idea where the keys are, my truck keys are in the ignition 24/7, I see little crime aside from the normal moron burglaries.
and the normal morons shooting each other, but that happens in every state.

How you are governed is a concept, but, again, how does that affect you getting up in the morning and enjoying your day?
Im guessing you dont live in, or around the Bay Area like myself..We have some high crime stats in SF, and the entire East Bay and South Bay..It sucks its like that, but its a reality in a number of Bay Area cities. Especially in this economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 07:57 PM

212 posts, read 476,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjRey View Post
Im guessing you dont live in, or around the Bay Area like myself..We have some high crime stats in SF, and the entire East Bay and South Bay..It sucks its like that, but its a reality in a number of Bay Area cities. Especially in this economy.

Thanks. SF was the first place I saw a guy shot and killed out front of our apartment.

Cool Fact!...

Back in the day, the cops didn't come into that part of town at night. (We called). True to form, the next morning they came and picked up the body.

Yup.

In some areas I'm all for liberal policies, in others areas NOT.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:27 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,877,269 times
So many people sure make it sound like California has become an un-livable place,but trust me their are many of us who are still happy living here despite the problems this state faces,and besides their are problems everywhere you go.

I love California and I wanna remain here through the Good and the Bad :-)

Old 08-10-2010, 08:45 PM

514 posts, read 687,200 times
Quote:
Do you live within city limits of one of the top 10 populated cities of California, and not within a gated community?

Considering what you opine, I doubt it.
Kind of a silly statement, no civilized person would live within the city limits of one of the top 10 populated cities of California.

No, I don't live in a gated community, I live in a rural area adjacent to one of the thousand or so small towns in California, of which many, like us, do not worry about crime.

Now, if you live in an area where there is crime, hey bud, you made that choice, god knows why.

I find, now I could be wrong, but the people who fear crime, or are whining about the sad state of the state, are those we call Conservatives. Most non Conservatives are neither wracked with fears, nor concern themselves with non essentials.

Us Non Conservatives get up in the morning, do our jobs, or our chores, find time to do California stuff like, hike, swim, climb mountains, ride..bikes..motorcycles..horses, ski, take the kids camping, without one of those RV things.

California has, large cities where people live, but, 80% of California's land mass is not megalopolis's, but, small towns, farms, ranches, forests, deserts, nice places.

My suggestion to the folks who posted above me, who are fearful, who complain, who whine, get out of town, get a life. California has the good fortune to be in the West. Western states by and large are great places for people who enjoy life, and enjoy life outside, get yourself a piece of that pie.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:15 PM

212 posts, read 476,218 times
Quote:
Kind of a silly statement, no civilized person would live within the city limits of one of the top 10 populated cities of California.

No, I don't live in a gated community, I live in a rural area adjacent to one of the thousand or so small towns in California, of which many, like us, do not worry about crime.

Now, if you live in an area where there is crime, hey bud, you made that choice, god knows why.

I find, now I could be wrong, but the people who fear crime, or are whining about the sad state of the state, are those we call Conservatives. Most non Conservatives are neither wracked with fears, nor concern themselves with non essentials.

Us Non Conservatives get up in the morning, do our jobs, or our chores, find time to do California stuff like, hike, swim, climb mountains, ride..bikes..motorcycles..horses, ski, take the kids camping, without one of those RV things.

California has, large cities where people live, but, 80% of California's land mass is not megalopolis's, but, small towns, farms, ranches, forests, deserts, nice places.

My suggestion to the folks who posted above me, who are fearful, who complain, who whine, get out of town, get a life. California has the good fortune to be in the West. Western states by and large are great places for people who enjoy life, and enjoy life outside, get yourself a piece of that pie.

Most gainfully employed individuals must live within, or within commuting distance of a large city.

Your observations have minimal relevance to the VAST majority of Californians who HAVE to live in or near a large city, and are displeased with what has happened to this once fine state.

Even a person from Nevada should know this.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:22 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,394,952 times
Quote:

Some posters reveal a lot more about themselves than they probably realize; fearful, distrustful, insecure and impotent. They leave California thinking it is the state and not them. Then return expecting things to be different. The only problem is that it is them that hasn't changed, matured and gained self-esteem. Limited insight and anger are a dangerous combination for miserable and petty people stuck on stupid.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:15 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,504,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Some posters reveal a lot more about themselves than they probably realize; fearful, distrustful, insecure and impotent. They leave California thinking it is the state and not them. Then return expecting things to be different. The only problem is that it is them that hasn't changed, matured and gained self-esteem. Limited insight and anger are a dangerous combination for miserable and petty people stuck on stupid.
I know you were trying to be deep there, but you are still wrong. California's problems are fundamental ones. Balancing the budget, investing in infrastructure, enticing businesses to come in, keeping taxation reasonable... all of which we can't seem to get right. Why you can't see these problems is beyond me (liberal cheerleading perhaps?), but they are there and the state budget alone proves that.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:32 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,394,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
I know you were trying to be deep there, but you are still wrong. California's problems are fundamental ones. Balancing the budget, investing in infrastructure, enticing businesses to come in, keeping taxation reasonable... all of which we can't seem to get right. Why you can't see these problems is beyond me (liberal cheerleading perhaps?), but they are there and the state budget alone proves that.
My comments were specifically directed to one individual and not meant to be a general description of what ails Californians. But I also know from much reading that the problems facing our state are complicated but not necessarily unique. Most all other states are dealing with quite similar issues that have been worsened by a serious global recession. I sincerely hope that our next governor has the wisdom and guts to tackle these issues that includes getting federal attention\ support. One huge reason for our nation's deficit is that we are waging 2 wars costing our nation its treasure and lives. Getting out of the Middle-east must be a priority.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:41 AM

3,448 posts, read 3,134,063 times
Theres too much depression to consider moving to CA....Nobody wants to be around depressed angry frustrated people. Thats all I get from CD links....was lookin good but after ch CD
NO WAy CA

Old 08-11-2010, 12:45 AM
R66

145 posts, read 419,948 times
Today, I went back to my old Gym in Chatsworth back when it was called Holiday Spa but now it's named Ballys. Back in the late 80s and 90s, I heard Spanish every now and then but tonight I heard English maybe 3 times. Today, I met an old American man on Topanga at a Tire Shop filling up his Scooter. He was wearing a Cap that said Montana. The old man is living in the SF Valley since 1954. I asked him about the Valley now and he said to me surprised by my question ..." The Valley is a Toilet ".

Last edited by R66; 08-11-2010 at 12:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California