Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2010, 09:39 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,292,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Boy! What on earth has happened to California? People are leaving the state in droves!!! What happened to our once idyllic state?

I've lived here for 30 years. I recall how proud I was to tell people that I lived in California; the land of milk and honey; our own slice of paradise. Things have changed enormously. There are the ever increasing tax issues, the fluctuating home prices, traffic, the hustle and bustle of urbanized living. But, there's something else beneath all that which I can't seem to put my finger on. Here's what I mean:

Just this week, my folks moved out of California for good! After visiting several states within the U.S. they finally settled for a rural community within an east coast state. Wednesday afternoon, I picked them up from their home and took them to a nearby restaurant. We struck up a conversation with the waitress and told her how this was their last day in California. The blond/blue eyed doll told us she was born and raised in California and could not wait for the minute in which she could permanently leave the state.

What's happened here? What is that one underlying issue that is making most of us turn our backs on the once pristine state of California???
In one word, Liberals. They came, they conquered, they destroyed all they saw and all they touched. They have made it a place not fit for man nor beast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 10:21 AM

963 posts, read 3,034,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
In one word, Liberals. They came, they conquered, they destroyed all they saw and all they touched. They have made it a place not fit for man nor beast.
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense: California has liberals, other states don't. I guess that's what makes California unique.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:51 AM

514 posts, read 687,292 times
mmm... those darned Liberals, gave America our National Forests, our Wildlife Refuges, Our National Parks, Our factory safety laws, our child labor laws, they ended slavery, they fought a revolution to remove America from the clutches of Conservatives.

They won World War 2, In fact, the list is so long, that it is easier to make a list of what Conservatives have done for America, so here it is:

Seems kind of empty doesn't it.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:02 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,961,475 times
Oh great, another thread that degenerates into petty, partisan, ideological bickering.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highnlite View Post
mmm... those darned Liberals, gave America our National Forests, our Wildlife Refuges, Our National Parks, Our factory safety laws, our child labor laws, they ended slavery, they fought a revolution to remove America from the clutches of Conservatives.

They won World War 2, In fact, the list is so long, that it is easier to make a list of what Conservatives have done for America, so here it is:

Seems kind of empty doesn't it.
Let me guess.... you went to public schools.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Let me guess...you didn't go to school.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:13 PM

514 posts, read 687,292 times
Quote:
If you could have, you would have refuted me. Instead you attack ad hominem.

Funny thing, what ever happened to California? I look outside, I see blue sky, I walk out side, the air is warm and pleasant, the ground is fertile, the hills have cows. People swim and boat in the lake. They lie on the Beach, they sit in the Beach side cafes and eat fish tacos.

They golf 200 feet below sea level, they hike in the mountains, they climb 3,000 foot granite faces, they target shoot, they go Jeeping, or sailing, or wake boarding, or parasailing, they go skiing, they grow twenty five percent of the nations food, and

Guess what! They can do that all year round in California.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highnlite View Post
If you could have, you would have refuted me. Instead you attack ad hominem.
Funny thing, what ever happened to California? I look outside, I see blue sky, I walk out side, the air is warm and pleasant, the ground is fertile, the hills have cows. People swim and boat in the lake. They lie on the Beach, they sit in the Beach side cafes and eat fish tacos.

They golf 200 feet below sea level, they hike in the mountains, they climb 3,000 foot granite faces, they target shoot, they go Jeeping, or sailing, or wake boarding, or parasailing, they go skiing, they grow twenty five percent of the nations food, and

Guess what! They can do that all year round in California.
Quote:

OK you asked for it, so the liberals did all these things all by themselves right?

Well for one thing the president who is given credit for doing the most to preserve National Forests and Parks is Teddy Roosevelt ( republican) who enacted the Antiquities Act which enabled Roosevelt and his successors to proclaim historic landmarks, historic or prehistoric structures, and other objects of historic or scientific interest in federal ownership as national monuments. He also established the National Parks Crater Lake, Oregon; Wind Cave, South Dakota; Sullys Hill, North Dakota Devils Tower, Wyoming, El Morro, New Mexico, Montezuma Castle, Arizona, and Petrified Forest, Arizona,

Ended slavery? Lincoln was a republican, the confederacy were democrats.

Child labor laws? The Child Labor Laws were sponsored and passed by overwhelming majority by both parties. House Joint Resolution ( A joint resolution is one sponsored by both parties) No. 184 was adopted by the United States House of Representatives on April 26, 1924, with a vote of 297 yeas, 69 nays, 2 present and 64 not voting.[1] It was then adopted by the Senate on June 2, 1924, with a vote of 61 yeas, 23 nays and 12 not voting.

As far as your assertions that it was the liberals who fought and won the Revolution and WWII, that claim is so ridiculous it does not even deserve a response.
I am not sure where you learned your history, perhaps from liberal teachers.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:41 PM

The fallacy in your argument, of course, is that you equate Democrats with liberals and Republicans with conservatives. It isn't that simple. It might seem that way if your partisan awareness only extends back 30 years or so, but as your own examples of Abraham Lincoln and Teddy Roosevelt shows -- both of them acknowledged liberals within their own historical milieu -- Republicans haven't always been associated with the far right. Nelson Rockefeller, Thomas Dewey, Mark Hatfield, Richard Nixon...they were all major movers and shakers in the party and none of them were anything close to conservative. It's only in the post-Reagan era that the core Republican constituency has swung so far to the right that reasonable minds and moderate views have been shunned by the party mainstream. And conservative Democrats? They ruled the South just a few decades ago. They're on the downswing compared to the past, but they're still a dime a dozen: Lyndon LaRouche, Joe Lieberman, Zell Miller, Ben Nelson, Larry McDonald, and on and on.

The Republican Party of today would not support the kinds of social justice and environmental reforms you're giving them historical credit for. They've become nothing more than handmaidens of the Religious Right and big business interests whose money bought them their seats in office.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:49 PM

80 posts, read 213,178 times
the estupidos moved in... that's what happened to CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California