Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 11:10 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,495,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&J View Post
My personal thought is that a lot of folks have left this state in search of the greener grass elsewhere. Perhaps they are running from something or feel the need for whatever reasons they have.

Most of the people I know that have left had unstabilities (sp) either with money or personal.

Take the old addage. We are like sheep. When one goes many follow. Sometimes for the wrong reasons.
More verdant fescue, yes, but the rest of your supposition is tripe. Two natives who are also long-term, and now retired, state employees with good pensions and excellent benefits neither ran from anything nor are/were we unstable, either personally or financially. What we did was run, not from CA but back to America. It simply suits us better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 11:27 AM

1,191 posts, read 1,585,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Paradise lost.
That seems to be the common thread.
If you've been here for long enough you remember what is was and you realize that it is not and never will be the same again.
That is indeed sad ... seeing a place that you once loved (especially if you were here as a child or young person) deteriorate is a painful thing.
The thing is people from other states say this very same thing after years of Californians moving into their areas. You can find threads lamenting the arrival of Californians all over CD. Native Californians don't want the state to change. Well neither do native Texans or Coloradans. But they have to deal with it, right? Then so do we. The movement of people between states and from other countries is one of the key things that keep what's left of our economy going.

Why do people think things are supposed to stay the same? California is evolving at a steady pace. It has been since at least the 1850's and probably before. My grandfather used to say two things about the "good ole days". One, they are never coming back. And two, they weren't as good as we make them out to be in our selective memories. In short, keep looking to the future.

I don't knock people who have moved on. Personally, I am not impressed enough with the alternatives to uproot my family and leave lifetime friendships behind.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:40 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,729,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
The thing is people from other states say this very same thing after years of Californians moving into their areas. You can find threads lamenting the arrival of Californians all over CD. Native Californians don't want the state to change. Well neither do native Texans or Coloradans. But they have to deal with it, right? Then so do we. The movement of people between states and from other countries is one of the key things that keep what's left of our economy going.

Why do people think things are supposed to stay the same? California is evolving at a steady pace. It has been since at least the 1850's and probably before. My grandfather used to say two things about the "good ole days". One, they are never coming back. And two, they weren't as good as we make them out to be in our selective memories. In short, keep looking to the future.

I don't knock people who have moved on. Personally, I am not impressed enough with the alternatives to uproot my family and leave lifetime friendships behind.
Yeah, rings true to me.
But still, it is sad to see a place lose its magic.
I've seen it in a number of places i've lived.
Money people smell that magic and wanna come in and buy it and make it "theirs".
And they do and it forces many folks out either because they can't afford to stay or because they can't stomach the loss of the organicity of a place they loved ... or both.
C'est La Vie - but it hurts.
And i like your grandfathers words of wisdom about the good ole days ... very much.

Last edited by coyoteskye; 10-25-2009 at 11:54 AM..

Old 10-25-2009, 12:25 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,523,794 times
Quote:
Ahhhh, memories of SLO and SB Counties.
A smart fellow you are

Old 10-25-2009, 12:53 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,961,475 times
Actually... I'm a dunderhead, but thanks anyway.

Old 10-25-2009, 01:09 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,071,134 times
Why do we have another one of these threads? Can't we talk about something else? People move for all kinds of reasons, next.

Old 10-25-2009, 01:19 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,729,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Why do we have another one of these threads? Can't we talk about something else? People move for all kinds of reasons, next.
Kinda bossy.
There is some good expression on this thread and if people have a desire to talk about whatever they wanna talk about, what's the problem?
Next.

Old 10-25-2009, 01:51 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,523,794 times
Quote:
What we did was run, not from CA but back to America. It simply suits us better!
I have a hard time believing this stuff, if it is found in America, if it is American, it is in California, good bad or indifferent.

Talking with the old rancher last week, as he said, he cowboyed all over the West, and kept coming back to Central CA. There are reasons, they are sound if not profound.

The people who "leave" who "run" who think they are "starting over" aren't where ever they go, there they are, same as they always were.

It is not the place you are in it is you.

Old 10-25-2009, 01:56 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,961,475 times
"The grass is always greener over the septic tank."

--
Erma Bombeck

Old 10-25-2009, 02:07 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,553,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
"The grass is always greener over the septic tank."

--
Erma Bombeck

Ah... so it's true... the proverbial grass isn't even what it used to be. We have plenty of that green stuff in Oregunn.

Kate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California