Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 05:25 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times

Advertisements

You will be required to show ID before boarding the train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 05:28 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I would hope so. If they were to build HSR without airport style security and it became a popular mode of transportation, it would be a very soft and very high profile target for terrorists. Why bother getting around TSA and metal detectors when you could just walk onto a train with a bomb?

Old 12-19-2009, 05:32 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,352,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
You mean like when I buy alcohol? ****, what a pain!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I would hope so. If they were to build HSR without airport style security and it became a popular mode of transportation, it would be a very soft and very high profile target for terrorists. Why bother getting around TSA and metal detectors when you could just walk onto a train with a bomb?
You could kill more people at a sporting event, which has magic wands and maybe a pat-down. Airports are heavily secured because you can actually take over a plane and go wherever you want, possibly turning the plane itself into a weapon. Nobody drove a train into the World Trade Center. Just because HSR plans to compete with planes, suddenly they share all characteristics? No, trains are still trains.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:26 PM

I believe we had to go through metal detectors and show ID before people flew planes into buildings. Believe me, the train will operate much more like a plane than a subway. Look for these features:

1. Reservations required, probably via internet only. No jumping on and off trains by whim.
2. Airline style revenue management (different fares like an airline based on time of purchase, time of travel, and other factors).
3. Checked baggage
4. Metal detectors and baggage X-ray machines (you have to do this now just to go to the Smithsonian.).
5. Assigned seating.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
You mean like when I buy alcohol? ****, what a pain!

You could kill more people at a sporting event, which has magic wands and maybe a pat-down. Airports are heavily secured because you can actually take over a plane and go wherever you want, possibly turning the plane itself into a weapon. Nobody drove a train into the World Trade Center. Just because HSR plans to compete with planes, suddenly they share all characteristics? No, trains are still trains.
Remember, we're talking "perceieved" rather than actual risk. Why do I have to go through a metal detector at a government building and not a shopping mall? Any government run facility (including the high speed train) will be secured to the greatest extent possible. No bureaucrat wants to take the risk of being undersecured.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:50 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,352,002 times
Fair enough, but the collective paranoia with regard to terrorism may have subsided by then. Let's hope so.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Fair enough, but the collective paranoia with regard to terrorism may have subsided by then. Let's hope so.
Amen to that.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:48 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Really? A lot of people compare California to Japan.
And that is a bogus comparison. Go try and find a place like the Carizzo Plain, or even, for that matter, Eastern Santa Clara County, in Japan.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:34 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,910,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
This was so predictable:

The new cost for the total project — originally projected at $33.6 billion in 2008 — has been revised to $42.6 billion to adjust for inflation.

Oh yeah, the fares have almost doubled too, but now they are stating the original fare they used to help justify the project was just a "placeholder", not a real fare:

“We basically arbitrarily set that 50 percent ticket price when we first started...Our research tells us that price is artificially low, and that a 75 to 80 percent rate of airplane flights is more widely used. So, we felt an increase in fares was appropriate.”

Fares inflate for high-speed rail | San Francisco Examiner (http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/Fares-inflate-for-high-speed-rail-79376472.html - broken link)
I wish people would have discussed and thought about this more BEFORE the bond was voted on. Oh well...

Old 12-21-2009, 09:22 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
I voted no.

I vote no on most bonds, as a rule of thumb.

But this one in particular warranted my no vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California