Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 11:42 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,522,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I think what is meant by "more ocean than beach" is that in a number of areas on the west coast there is little to no sand area between the ocean and "terra firma"....that is, parts of the California coast are ROCK....the waves break against rock, not sand.....
However, the poster said it about Pismo Beach. Which makes no sense at all. Pismo Beach is 20 miles long, and ranges from 100 yards wide to 4 miles wide, and is about 28 square miles if you count the dunes, if there is a larger beach in the US, I do not know of it.

Quote:
I stand corrected, I meant to say it was not a real beach, for my standards anyway. More ocean than beach, like the rest of the coast in California, too cold, Surfer's delight. My notion of a beach is the Caribbean. Oh well, technically it is a beach.
Quote:
Oh well, technically it is a beach
Well, if you count 28 square miles of sand on the shore a beach, I guess it is technically a beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 01:01 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,409,113 times
They were just beotching about the cooler water and the fact we don't have a 100 mile wide continental shelf like FLA.

Old 12-24-2009, 08:47 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,948,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
They were just beotching about the cooler water and the fact we don't have a 100 mile wide continental shelf like FLA.
Exactly! http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj53/pinkz59/home%20sale%20all%20items/sofa%20and%20loveseat/IMG_0695.jpg (broken link)
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj53/pinkz59/home%20sale%20all%20items/sofa%20and%20loveseat/IMG_0682.jpg (broken link)
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj53/pinkz59/home%20sale%20all%20items/sofa%20and%20loveseat/IMG_0716.jpg (broken link)
Nobody dared to step foot in that water at Seacrest (Pismo Beach) November 2009

Now my perception of a Beach: Isla Verde Beach, Puerto Rico February 2009

Another Angle

View from Tiffany Towers Apartment 5th Floor, Isla Verde

Last edited by chaotix; 12-24-2009 at 09:39 PM.. Reason: add pics

Old 12-24-2009, 10:06 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,522,986 times
That was silly, I and many others have been swimming off Sea Crest, and the rest Shell Beach since we were kids. Now, you showed photos of other beaches, that is fine, but that does not negate the fact that tens of thousands of people play and swim at Pismo each year.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:24 PM

8,216 posts, read 16,705,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotix View Post
Exactly!
Nobody dared to step foot in that water at Seacrest (Pismo Beach) November 2009

Now my perception of a Beach: Isla Verde Beach, Puerto Rico February 2009
There are beaches all over the world ranging from ice cold water to bath tub warm. If that is the only kind of beach you can enjoy then move to the Puerto Rico, Mexico or some other tropical climate. But for millions of others bath tub water isn't a requirement to enjoy some of the best beaches in the world including those along the West Coast. I surfed these waters year round with and without a wetsuit. So sorry but your point is trival to meaningless for those who fully enjoy these beaches as they are. I for one would never trade living in CA for Puerto Rico, FL, etc... just to get that bath tub warm fuzzy feeling. That doesn't impress me at all.

Derek

Old 12-25-2009, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
That was silly, I and many others have been swimming off Sea Crest, and the rest Shell Beach since we were kids. Now, you showed photos of other beaches, that is fine, but that does not negate the fact that tens of thousands of people play and swim at Pismo each year.
Why is it silly, not negating any facts, on the contrary, Pismo Beach is a lovely area. I travel about and make certain distinctions, more than I can say for other California coastlines... Just making certain distinctions on my preferences, we all do not see thru the same lens. Thank you.

Old 12-25-2009, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
There are beaches all over the world ranging from ice cold water to bath tub warm. If that is the only kind of beach you can enjoy then move to the Puerto Rico, Mexico or some other tropical climate. But for millions of others bath tub water isn't a requirement to enjoy some of the best beaches in the world including those along the West Coast. I surfed these waters year round with and without a wetsuit. So sorry but your point is trival to meaningless for those who fully enjoy these beaches as they are. I for one would never trade living in CA for Puerto Rico, FL, etc... just to get that bath tub warm fuzzy feeling. That doesn't impress me at all.

Derek
Wow, you really went out on a tangent here. This is not personal MtnSurfer, hence, my response was not to impress you or anyone else for that matter, it was my opinion based on my own observations/feelings. I never said anything about not enjoying the beach in CA. Just made two comparisons on two recent trips this year and shared some pictures, I was not trying to put Pismo Beach down or anything remotely close, as it is lovely there. They are both beautiful and different in their own way, whereas, one may prefer one over the other for whatever reason, doesn't mean that the opposing views are wrong or not valid. Geez

Old 12-25-2009, 07:43 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,489,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
That's poor man's by the ocean, but learn your Spanish.

If you plan on renting, I'd suggest Los Osos. It's on the coast and you're 10 min. to the city of SLO. You can probably find a 2-3bdr. house between $1200-1600 a month and you can find smaller places for less. Affording to RENT here is not the issue, it's finding a job.

If you don't mind hotter summers, I'd suggest Atascadero. It's 1/2 hour to the beach.
Somebody stick something up your butt to put you in such a mood?

Old 12-25-2009, 11:56 AM

8,216 posts, read 16,705,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotix View Post
Wow, you really went out on a tangent here. This is not personal MtnSurfer, hence, my response was not to impress you or anyone else for that matter, it was my opinion based on my own observations/feelings. I never said anything about not enjoying the beach in CA. Just made two comparisons on two recent trips this year and shared some pictures, I was not trying to put Pismo Beach down or anything remotely close, as it is lovely there. They are both beautiful and different in their own way, whereas, one may prefer one over the other for whatever reason, doesn't mean that the opposing views are wrong or not valid. Geez
Ok, of course you have the right to your own opinion. If these aren't real beaches for you then thats your preference. Everyone has own their preferences. It just sounded more like a blanket statement and rip on the West Coast in general which is my home. So when you rip someone's beaches and then later say oh BTW nothing personal, well you just might except some rebutal. But again its not for everyone. So if tropical is the lens you see all beaches through then thats fine. But for the majority of the residents living here it is not.

Derek

Old 12-25-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Ok, of course you have the right to your own opinion. If these aren't real beaches for you then thats your preference. Everyone has own their preferences. It just sounded more like a blanket statement and rip on the West Coast in general which is my home. So when you rip someone's beaches and then later say oh BTW nothing personal, well you just might except some rebutal. But again its not for everyone. So if tropical is the lens you see all beaches through then thats fine. But for the majority of the residents living here it is not.

Derek
Duly noted, however, you have twice taken my responses out of context even after I clarified my stance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California