Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 03:14 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,522,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Nobody dared to step foot in that water at Seacrest (Pismo Beach) November 2009
You are looking at a 1/4 mile of a 20 mile long beach, you have no idea how many people were in the water. You did not know about the jet ski users off the Grover City ramp, you have no idea about the kite surfers off the mouth of the Santa Maria River, heck you could not even see the surfers at the pier, or the kids playing in the water.

You missed the dozen or more sea kayakers off Shell Beach exploring the islands and sea caves and chatting with the otters and sea lions.

You missed the Scuba divers at St. Annes, and the surfers at Sewers and and the Cal Poly coeds lying in the sun smelling like coconuts at Sunset Palisades.

Looks to me like you stuck your foot in the water, found it too invigorating, and went home.

Funny story, I moved to Naples Italy many years ago. At some point I visited the island of Ischia with some friends, drank too much wine and slept on the beach. At dawn I got up to take a headclearing refreshing dip into the Mediterranean. No luck, it was as warm as spit. I will take the "manly" waters of the west coast any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 05:15 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,948,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
You are looking at a 1/4 mile of a 20 mile long beach, you have no idea how many people were in the water. You did not know about the jet ski users off the Grover City ramp, you have no idea about the kite surfers off the mouth of the Santa Maria River, heck you could not even see the surfers at the pier, or the kids playing in the water.

You missed the dozen or more sea kayakers off Shell Beach exploring the islands and sea caves and chatting with the otters and sea lions.

You missed the Scuba divers at St. Annes, and the surfers at Sewers and and the Cal Poly coeds lying in the sun smelling like coconuts at Sunset Palisades.

Looks to me like you stuck your foot in the water, found it too invigorating, and went home.

Funny story, I moved to Naples Italy many years ago. At some point I visited the island of Ischia with some friends, drank too much wine and slept on the beach. At dawn I got up to take a headclearing refreshing dip into the Mediterranean. No luck, it was as warm as spit. I will take the "manly" waters of the west coast any day.
The otters and sea lions at Shell beach would have been a real treat, unfortunately we didn't venture that far, but will do on my next trip.

. . .and yes, the water was too cold for me, however, the weather was perfect and I immensely enjoyed the breeze and serenity walking along the coast in addition to the breathtaking sunsets.

Clever analogy “manly waters” . . . lol.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:19 AM

8 posts, read 22,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
There is a trailer park up the road, a doublewide there will set you back $400,000 and it does not have an ocean view.
Man, thats absolutely insane. I live in Fl. and you can find older doubles down here startin around $3000.00 and up.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:26 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders15 View Post
I was just looking up San Luis Obispo area and I was wondering what is a similar area for middle class families? Similar as in (being near the water) and having such nice geological and climate features. And almost non existent crime. Over here in VA we're making around 35k a year so I'm no sure what that converts to in CA terms. So is there a poor man's equivalent?
In short, NO.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
He wants SLO to be cheap.

Guess what, the poor mans version of SLO is .... Oxnard.

meaning... you'll get a little touch o' gang crime and run-down housing with your paradise.
And even at that, Oxnard is not anywhere near truly cheap.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
That's not quite correct. Most definitions of North American climate zones place the boundary between the Mediterranean and Marine West Coast climate zones near the Oregon border. Although a few more radical ones show a sliver of Marine West Coast coming further south at the immediate coast. But the flaw in that is they use fog and marine layer drizzle to make that argument, which is not correct. The paths of mid latitude weather systems are the only truly correct definition.

Bottom line, Mendocino is for all intents and purposes Med as is Fort Bragg. Although, I do concede rainfall is progressively higher further up the coast. But to put it in perspective, at the immediate coastline the 20 in rainfall line is at SF. Local orographic effects are more prominent than latitude in determining rainfall, for example, the hills near Pt. Conception have higher rainfall than downtown SF does. And similarly, the King Range has the highest rainfall in CA meanwhile places at the immediate coast only a few miles from there only get 30 or 35 inches per year. That's on par with the French Riviera.
For all intents and purposes, I'd say the coast North of SF is not Mediterranean. Rainfall increases. Lots of fog. Not many days where the high is above 70.

The French Riviera, by comparison, is sunnier than the CA coast north of SF, and gets at least 4 months or more a year where the daytime temps average 70F or warmer.

Yes, I know technically it may be considered that, but many Americans are disappointed when they find out how cool summers are in coastal San Diego and Los Angeles, let alone Fort Bragg or Eureka.

Now, inland I'd grant you that the Med. climate exists all the way up to Redding. But all points north of Stinson Beach, forget it.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:51 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,958,264 times
Let me see...................pitch a tent at Montana de Oro. Hit all the local food banks. Ride a bike and collect aluminum cans.

Yep, I can live in SLO County. No problem.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:50 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,489,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
Let me see...................pitch a tent at Montana de Oro. Hit all the local food banks. Ride a bike and collect aluminum cans.

Yep, I can live in SLO County. No problem.
Hey Dean------is Pirates Cove still open?

Old 01-07-2010, 11:22 AM

1,310 posts, read 4,139,936 times
So it was talked about how the northern edge of the Mediterranean climate is just South of the Oregon Border or around Medocino County. What is the southern edge of the Mediterranean climate?

Old 01-07-2010, 11:45 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,522,986 times
Quote:
Hey Dean------is Pirates Cove still open?
Yep, it is still open, and still nude, and a favorite of men of a particular characteristic, not many coed volleyball games anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California