Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 08:48 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroPlumber View Post

This year I will stop caring about the public school situation when my youngest graduates from High School--so I will tune that situation out too.

Are you going to stop caring about your property values too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 09:32 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
We don't particularly care about our property values here where we live because this is our home, not an investment. But even after all our children were grown in CA and on their own, we still cared about schools, and continue to, because we have grandchildren there.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:58 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwumpus View Post
You are correct, but I think what the poster is talking about are the millions of immigrants primarily from Latin America who have entered California illegally. They have created a massive social and economic burden that would not otherwise exist from normal, lawful immigration.

Unless you've lived here a few decades, or generations as my family has, you will not be able to know by experience what changes and damages this massive influx has effected. And since most Californians are not native Californians, they tend to just assume it has always been this way. But stay here 30 or 40 years and you'll know what I'm talking about. But I bet you won't stay here that long, unless you can buy your way into gated citadels of comfort and private schools for your children.
Excuse me, I am a fourth-generation Californian with no plans to relocate and no fear of the demographic changes that immigration is making in California. The Latino culture is stronger than the predominant white culture because their family values are stronger. No need to feel threatened. I welcome out-migration from people who are fearful of change because those folks will not be valuable citizens in the world to come,in which change will be the only constant.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:10 AM

491 posts, read 1,261,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I've already stopped caring about my property value. I'm $15,000 underwater and it's not coming back before I probably end up moving.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:13 AM

491 posts, read 1,261,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
We don't particularly care about our property values here where we live because this is our home, not an investment. But even after all our children were grown in CA and on their own, we still cared about schools, and continue to, because we have grandchildren there.
For a lot of reasons, the schools are a probably a lost cause in CA. They will continue to get worse every year due to factors which are beyond anyone's control (or certainly my control). I worried and complained for 20 years while my kids were in school and it didn't do a bit of good. There is not a single thing I can do about it now and they are going to get my share of the taxes whether I worry about them or not.

This stuff about politics, schools, immigration, etc. are the reasons why people say they hate CA. They sit around all day and listen to talk radio and foam at the mouth about the Democrats or the Republicans and they work themselves into a frenzy about stuff they can do absolutely nothing about and which really doesn't affect their day-to-day lives.

In the process of getting all foamed up they lose track of the fact that they have a pretty nice state to live in with great weather and lots to do. That's why I tune out the nonsense.

Unfortunately, when we get our paychecks and we have a hard time paying our bills, I can't tune that out.

Last edited by ElectroPlumber; 04-14-2010 at 11:45 AM..

Old 04-14-2010, 01:37 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Excuse me, I am a fourth-generation Californian with no plans to relocate and no fear of the demographic changes that immigration is making in California. The Latino culture is stronger than the predominant white culture because their family values are stronger. No need to feel threatened. I welcome out-migration from people who are fearful of change because those folks will not be valuable citizens in the world to come,in which change will be the only constant.
Hear, hear! Most immigrants I see are the hardest working folks I know, very often working several jobs, not only to make ends meet, but to buy houses, own new vehicles, pay taxes and start new businesses! California was built by these kinds of energetic pioneers and entrepreneurs. Not by self-satisfied "natives" who figure "now that I've got mine, let's pull in the bridge!" (aka "I'm entitled")!

Old 04-14-2010, 02:17 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times
Another aspect that seems to threaten some people but California has Spanish roots big time. Probably more than any other state except New Mexico. The conquistadors discovered California in the 1500's & settled in the 1700's [the same time the 13 Colonies were forming]. Spanish was the dominate language until the late 1800's. California has a rich heritage w/ 21 missions built by padres\ native Californians still standing. How many buildings date back to the 1700's does the rest of America have? I guess the East Coast must have many buildings from the 1700's. Does anyone know where they are? Probably Boston\ New York & Philly, right?

Old 04-14-2010, 02:45 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Another aspect that seems to threaten some people but California has Spanish roots big time. Probably more than any other state except New Mexico. The conquistadors discovered California in the 1500's & settled in the 1700's [the same time the 13 Colonies were forming]. Spanish was the dominate language until the late 1800's. California has a rich heritage w/ 21 missions built by padres\ native Californians still standing. How many buildings date back to the 1700's does the rest of America have? I guess the East Coast must have many buildings from the 1700's. Does anyone know where they are? Probably Boston\ New York & Philly, right?
Perhaps you have forgotten that Texas was part of Mexico before it because a state in 1845. Every major river but one in Texas has a Spanish or Mexican name. Spanish influence in Texas began in the 1500s and continued with Mexico after that.

I don't mean to minimize California's ties to Spain. But I don't see how it is easy to conclude that California's ties (or New Mexico's) to Spain or Mexico are materially stronger than Texas'.

It does seem that relations between immigrants, legal or not, and locals in Texas is less hostile than it is in California.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:27 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Perhaps you have forgotten that Texas was part of Mexico before it because a state in 1845. Every major river but one in Texas has a Spanish or Mexican name. Spanish influence in Texas began in the 1500s and continued with Mexico after that.

I don't mean to minimize California's ties to Spain. But I don't see how it is easy to conclude that California's ties (or New Mexico's) to Spain or Mexico are materially stronger than Texas'.

It does seem that relations between immigrants, legal or not, and locals in Texas is less hostile than it is in California.
You are right, I didn't include Texas which, like California, was a separate republic [I'm not sure if there were any other states with that designation]. I think part of my thinking maybe had to do the Alamo & still some anger in Texas over Mexico winning that battle.

I do think the relationship of Anglo to Latino is stronger in California due to several factors:
1] Farm workers movement started here with Cesar Chavez. Almost every large city in California has a blvd named after Chavez & his birthday is a state holiday
2] Sanctuary cities like San Francisco & Los Angeles do not allow local law enforcement to even ask about immigration status. Catholic church has been especially vocal for immigrate rights & tend to tamp down any action toward exporting illegals. I do not agree with these policies btw.
3] Latinos are the largest ethnic group in the nation's second largest city = LA

Old 04-14-2010, 04:38 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
You are right, I didn't include Texas which, like California, was a separate republic [I'm not sure if there were any other states with that designation]. I think part of my thinking maybe had to do the Alamo & still some anger in Texas over Mexico winning that battle.

I do think the relationship of Anglo to Latino is stronger in California due to several factors:
1] Farm workers movement started here with Cesar Chavez. Almost every large city in California has a blvd named after Chavez & his birthday is a state holiday
2] Sanctuary cities like San Francisco & Los Angeles do not allow local law enforcement to even ask about immigration status. Catholic church has been especially vocal for immigrate rights & tend to tamp down any action toward exporting illegals. I do not agree with these policies btw.
3] Latinos are the largest ethnic group in the nation's second largest city = LA
Then on the other hand, we have the approach that AZ has just instituted, where cops can stop and check on immigration status, if they believe there's "probable cause".... that should really help relations!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California