Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 12:44 PM

35 posts, read 50,408 times

Advertisements

I was looking at picking up a mid 90's or early 2000's camper around the 3-4000$ range to work my way down from MA to explore a few relocation options I had in mind but wasn't sure what I was in for. I figure a 24-27 footer would be good for what im doing. I've got a F150 STX /w 4.6 SFE. I would be towing my motorcycle and ramps in the bed and the trailer to VA, NC, FL, and TX.

What would I be in for expenses? (utilities, maintenance, sewage, mpg towing?) I have an extremely limited budget and thought this would be the cheap way out of hotels in each city. I've got a cell phone that tethers so I should be all set with basic utility hookups while I look for work and get a feel for the cultures in each area. I can't afford 20-40$ a night to park and wire it, It's just too expensive to live off of and I don't like the sound of boondocking other than taking a quick nap traveling between states.

Option B was buy a tent and just take the bike, but I don't see that working well for job hunting. Can anyone recommend a better approach or guidelines for doing this and expected cost of living expenses for this temporary lifestyle?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 02:57 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
A pop-up would be cheaper and better on gas than a huge camper behind ya.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:40 PM

35 posts, read 50,408 times
There's no shower in a popup

Old 04-24-2011, 04:10 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlarivie View Post
I was looking at picking up a mid 90's or early 2000's camper around the 3-4000$ range to work my way down from MA to explore a few relocation options I had in mind but wasn't sure what I was in for. I figure a 24-27 footer would be good for what im doing. I've got a F150 STX /w 4.6 SFE. I would be towing my motorcycle and ramps in the bed and the trailer to VA, NC, FL, and TX.

What would I be in for expenses? (utilities, maintenance, sewage, mpg towing?) I have an extremely limited budget and thought this would be the cheap way out of hotels in each city. I've got a cell phone that tethers so I should be all set with basic utility hookups while I look for work and get a feel for the cultures in each area. I can't afford 20-40$ a night to park and wire it, It's just too expensive to live off of and I don't like the sound of boondocking other than taking a quick nap traveling between states.

Option B was buy a tent and just take the bike, but I don't see that working well for job hunting. Can anyone recommend a better approach or guidelines for doing this and expected cost of living expenses for this temporary lifestyle?

Thanks
I know a guy in Michigan who lived out of a pop up -- a trailer of course would be a lot more comfortable. I think he did more to save money but I think it was also because his job situation was on and off there for a while.

He rented space next to someone's barn and had a tarp around it to help insulate it. Ran an extension cord and he used their shower.

If I were doing this, I'd try to find someone who would let you rent a space for a while, someone with land and let you either run a generator or help pay the electric bill, and water. Rural areas would work better. You could negotiate some limited time period.

Otherwise, there are mobile home parks that allow short term stays - and would probably be quite cheap if you find the right one. Some of the KOA's will allow for month to month stays that cost less than $500 a month for the lot and you'd have all the comforts, all the hook ups but there might be some private campgrounds that are even cheaper.

I know some girls who did something like that in Colorado only they found an old RV in some campground that they rented because first they were living out of a van.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:18 PM

RV lots for rent.

You also might consider getting a toy hauler about that size if you want to bring your bike. That way you have your own garage and house to live in.

Look at this one for example -

Georgia Lots For Rent

$350 a month including utilities.

The other thing I've heard of people doing is to live for free or even get a small income by being hired as a campground host. In fact my dad did that, and only had to work 4 hours every day. He said it was an easy job, he had to help clean up the showers and the lots after the guests left but it saved a lot of money to park his RV in a state he wanted to be in. You can apply to those places on-line and you sign up for some time periond.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:27 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

The other thing I've heard of people doing is to live for free or even get a small income by being hired as a campground host. In fact my dad did that, and only had to work 4 hours every day. He said it was an easy job, he had to help clean up the showers and the lots after the guests left but it saved a lot of money to park his RV in a state he wanted to be in. You can apply to those places on-line and you sign up for some time periond.
Two places to investigate ...
Opportunities for Workamping (or Work Camping) -- over 175 sites in 12 states
WORKAMPER NEWS - THE #1 RESOURCE FOR WORKAMPING

I have no affiliation with the above websites!

(Malamute - thanks for RV lots rental pointer!! )

Old 04-24-2011, 04:30 PM

If you do a google search on "campground rental month", you can find some as low as $200 a month. Some dive trailer park might be even cheaper, it might depend on how long you'd stay in some place. While on the road, you have the advantage of being able to pull into a rest area for a few hours or Walmart and other parking lots for the night and it doesn't cost anything.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Two places to investigate ...
Opportunities for Workamping (or Work Camping) -- over 175 sites in 12 states
WORKAMPER NEWS - THE #1 RESOURCE FOR WORKAMPING

I have no affiliation with the above websites!

(Malamute - thanks for RV lots rental pointer!! )
You're welcome. I was just in Colorado Springs and asked at the KOA campground what it would cost to stay a month in a travel trailer and it was $475 plus electricity that you use, that place was very conveniently located and free cable tv and wifi on top of the rest that you get - the water, sewer, security, showers, garbage disposal and a laundry room right there.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:41 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlarivie View Post
There's no shower in a popup
Most campgrounds have showers. You wanna save money, go this route.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:32 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Join the Good Sam Club for RV'ers and campers, and if you stay in the National Parks and various state run campgrounds, you should be just fine. A little luxury is good, like air cond. and a generator -- and a place to sleep that is secure. When we traveled in our 5th wheel, we always had a few pistols very handy, and a few shotguns in the storage under the sofa and know how to use 'em. Never needed them, but only a fool would travel w/o carrying. You also never know when you will meet up with a bear on the route you're headed. We also tent camped from ME to GA and back, with the pickup trailering the Gold Wing. Not fun in the rain and humidity and using those sticky rest rooms full of bugs! Much prefer traveling in an RV! If you have a full bathroom in your RV, make sure you get a full hook up at private campgrounds so you don't need to go to a dump station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing