Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2009, 06:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,779 times

Advertisements

We are planning on a 12/21/09 - 1/30/10 RV trip starting in So Cal. We've been advised to stay near & south of US10 to avoid snow & winter weather. We're native So Cal people, have Caribou Truck camper on older F350 dually and don't have much "driving in snow" experience. Do we dare venture into AZ & NM mountains? Will chains for 1 set of rear tires work?
I know many of you have RVed in winter. Advice & your experiences welcome. Thxs...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 06:39 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,085,908 times
While I am not an RV owner, offhand I don't think your F-350 with a big camper on it is the ideal vehicle for your first experience driving in snow. If there is enough snow to consider chains, I would think you ought not to go there.

If the truck is 4WD, it will go OK in snow, but keep in mind it does not stop or turn any better in 4WD than in 2WD.

Welcome to the forums, BTW.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:20 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,749,873 times
If you plan on venturing into the mountains in winter, please check the appropriate state DOT sites before making your trip. Many states have legal requirements for chain placement and type.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:44 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,005,092 times
If it were me I would spend the extra money and get a set of 3 rail chains for the duels. While trying to get started from a stop, if you spin a set of duels with only one wheel chained up on each side, those wheels could dig in to the point where all the weight would now be on the wheels without chains.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:42 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
When I had pickup campers I often left them on the truck all 4 seasons -- and that's been in Iowa, Wyoming and Alaska and with both 2x4 and 4x4 pickups. I've never owned a dually, and I understand they don't handle quite as well in the snow, but with a camper on the back for added weight, I don't think there would be a major problem in snow, especially if you've got a 4x4. (You should state which you have, btw.)

It would probably be wise to get chains for all your tires if you plan to drive in snow conditions. If you're forced to use them for more than just getting unstuck (like getting over a mountain pass), chains on the front will help you with steering and braking. Wise, but few people actually do that. In fact, I don't think I ever have.

My dad drove larger straight trucks for years and often had them (rear wheels) chained up for local use for several days at a time.

Just remember to winterize your camper if you're driving where it's much below freezing. I've been on camping trips where I had to winterize several times during the trip.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:45 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,853,247 times
Also, are you going north of I-10 for just a trip or to stay? Either way if the weather is bad and you aren't on a schedule...stay south if the weather is not really good, or if there...stay parked until the passes are cleared...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing