Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 11:39 PM

2 posts, read 3,622 times

Advertisements

So.. 6 friends and I are planning a trip for the end of the summer from home (greenville, sc) to LA across the country in an RV and then back . We are borrowing an RV from a friend and right now our biggest concern is the costs of doing this.

First off, how does insurance typically work with this sort of thing? Are we covered to drive it if the person who owns it has insurance or do we need to get additional coverage per driver or just in general? If this is not the case, can we get temporary coverage for our 12 day trip and how much does this usually cost??

Second, how many miles per gallon do RV's usually get? and whats the best way get the best gas mileage that we can?

Any help to the above questions would be greatly appreciated along with any other info that might be helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 12:46 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Usually an insurance policy will allow up to 45 days of loaning your motorhome out (VERIFY THIS with lender's insurance agent). I would be sure to keep your own liability coverage in place or get a 'rider' (short term policy accompanying his). I would also draft a 'hold harmless' agreement for all travelers to sign to 'release' the owner. NO one can go that does not have medical insurance, and no-one can drive without both medical AND liability insurance of their own. And I would encourage owner to seriously upgrade his medical coverage (with you paying of course). The 'per incident' amount needs to be VERY high for 6 passengers, probably over $1,000,000. When motorhomes crash and / or burn they are very ugly and fly totally apart. (I've seen many in my 30 yrs of truckdriving)

Take lots of picture BEFORE you leave to document condition of vehicle, and restore to 'better-than-when-you -left'. Offer to pay for license fees and insurance and get it professionally cleaned upon return. (your friend will appreciate that, as it takes many hours / days to clean a Motorhome when returning from a trip). I would suggest NOT taking a shower in the Mhome (makes stuff damp / moldy / stinky), use the outdoor shower (hopefully it has one) or at campground or local swimming pools.

Mileage is quite dependent upon the MH and the engine. 10 mpg is average, some get 7, Mine gets 20. Speed is the most significant factor (frontal air push). Try to stay under 60 mph. Understand the transmission needs and temp. Most USA MH have automatic transmissions (Boo-Hoo). It is a good idea to put them in a lower gear when climbing or descending hills. Often they have an automatic 'overdrive' that causes transmission to get very hot, potentially destroying it ($5000). A $50 transmission temp gauge is very cheap insurance.

Look under vehicle at every stop to see if it is leaking any fluids. I like to carry an infra-red thermometer (~$10) and check tire, bearing, brake temp at every stop.

Carry a spare tire, spare 'V' belts (or serpentine) spare engine hoses, and often I carry a $20 spare electric fuel pump and some elect wire and fuel hose.

Check lights daily.

Have a couple fire extinguishers (front and rear) and know how and when to use them.

Have a good (safe) trip

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 04-21-2010 at 12:57 AM..

Old 04-21-2010, 07:06 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,749,873 times
Consider investing in an RV road assistance plan from AAA or similar organization.

It's also a good idea to lock your tranny into a lower gear when descending steep grades......saves wear and tear and heat-related brake fade.

Get the unit a few days ahead of time and take it for a couple of practice drives.....a motorhome handles a little differently than your average Toyota Corolla.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:05 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
Mileage varies greatly with the size of the MH and the engine. Diesel? Gas? Size? Some gasers might get 5-6 mph, diesel pushers maybe twice that, diesel class Cs, maybe 20 mpg.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:16 AM

2 posts, read 3,622 times
Thanks for all the help guys! It is def helpful. My friends and I are all newbies at this RV ordeal and honestly just want to take the trip of a lifetime driving cross country together before we graduate college next year. Hopefully the expenses from this wont kill our bank accounts.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:30 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
Sounds like fun! Have a nice trip. Take Tons of pic & post them for us to see!!!

Old 04-22-2010, 02:43 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashboardlvr72 View Post
T... all newbies at this RV ordeal and honestly just want to take the trip of a lifetime driving cross country together before we graduate college ....
This could be a great time or a nightmare, but to ensure the best probability of success; (JMHO... having been a kid, and having a few of my own your age, and having been a professional driver)
  • put a healthy damage deposit aside
  • Pay attention and learn A LOT about the RV (like special toilet paper and chemicals required) I suggest with a group of guys that you don't even consider using the 'on-board' toilet, it will save you a lot of time and grief to use public facilities. - learn to change tires, verify you have the adequate tools and spare parts (hoses, belts, filters)
  • print the "Smith Driving Rules" on cards and keep them handy to review with drivers. (this is a great way to improve your life skills as a driver) WikiAnswers - 5 smith rules of driving Better yet, pay the $20 - $50 and take a Smith course or buy a DVD.
  • set some ground rules to avoid legal hassle or compromising situations
  • no open brews in the vehicle within 8 hrs of driving schedule
  • Don't drive when tired or within 8 hrs of drinking ANY alcohol
  • (if you find yourself tired and driving, roll down window and stick your arm out till it about falls off)
  • Don't schedule so tight that you need to rush.
  • Don't drive between the hrs of 2AM and 6AM (drunks 2-4AM and tired truck drivers 4-6AM)
  • If weather or road conditions get bad, take a break.
  • Review road construction areas, don't 'space-out' warning signs in the night (I did that ONCE at age 19, on a cross country road trip...) we survived... barely

Make a doable plan, with flexibility.
research some cool spots America's Byways®: National Scenic Byways Online http://www.freecampgrounds.com/
talk a lot to locals to get good hints
take time to smell the roses
keep a journal
buy a $80 national parks pass at first park (good at federal sites too)

Everyday, do the basics on the MH
check oil, fluids, visually look at tires, wipers, lights

weekly check air in tires

Old 04-22-2010, 03:00 PM

442 posts, read 965,718 times
After all the great advice above--do a mock weekend trip so you know what to take, clothes, jackets umbrella personal thinks like that. Oh and the best advice was to have fun and enjoy!! take that to heart.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:12 PM

12,114 posts, read 15,005,086 times
Take me!! Take me!!

Old 04-22-2010, 03:46 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
I dont want to go with a bunch of college kids BUT IF your friend decide to loan it to you in the future TAKE ME!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing