Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 05:20 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,836,684 times

Advertisements

If you leave your dog in your RV on a even a medium hot day you will be charged with a crime and have to pay a fine. And it's likely your window will be broken when the police try and rescue the dog, if it hasn't died already.

People rarely break into RV's because they can't see if someone is in the back. Thieves like easy stealing not the potential for someone in the R.V coming at them with a bat or gun. Just put your stuff where they can't see it and put an NRA sticker on the side window.

Do dogs a favor and don't get one. It will cause you big problems, food is the least expensive part of a dog. You'll need shots (for the dog) and it gets sick (just like kids) vet bills add up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 05:38 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
We have had a sequence of two dogs and 5 or 6 cats including long hairs. We no longer believe any of them are bothered by the desert heat. In fact the long haired German Spitz and the his cat buddy would both lay on the brick at 110 degrees and snooze. And they picked the sun with the shade four feet away.

I would think the physics is at work. They are thermos bottles with cooling by aspiration. As long as they have good water they don't seem to have trouble with the heat.

We boated for some years with a dog - the 25 lb German Spitz. Aside from a propensity to fall overboard he was not a problem. The boat was a 28 foot rear cabin which would be similar in space to a 25 to 30 foot RV. And the dog loved the boat. We had no problem with hair. He shed but the hand held vacuum took care of it quickly. Neighbors in a 40 foot trawler had a big Irish setter. Dog would climb the ladder from the water and carry a ball to the top of the cabin. Throw the ball in and then dive after it. Repeat.

The one advantage of the boat is that it has a deck outside and the dog would spend much time there. You might rig an enclosure off an RV for a similar effect.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:27 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Well, what can I say. My samoyed hated the heat, he would spend all day sleeping under the house, and only come alive when the sun went down.

Old 10-23-2017, 03:06 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Go to a shelter and get a dog = https://www.google.ca/search?q=Dog+s...w=1098&bih=512

Old 10-23-2017, 05:21 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
Traveled for years with an 80 lb. golden retriever, who happened to be costly, but was a wonderful companion. If you want a guard dog, go to the shelter, they have plenty of "cheap" dogs.

Old 10-24-2017, 01:09 AM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
I saw an ad for a Alaskan Husky or so... My friend said this dog gets too big! I went to Petco and they had Labrador Retrievers for $1800! That's crazy wack prices when some individual will sell them for $550!

Anyway, I might need a dog to live in the front seat of my minivan while I sleep or go away from the minivan. I guess people snoop into my stuff so I need a dog?... I might use the dog for hunting, too...

Maybe I should get a Beagle?

I don't want to spend over $40 / month food budget on a dog, for specialized dog food. Is that too cheap? Then what size limit of a dog do I get?
Get a car alarm for your van. All the comments about heat and vehicles are true. This will range from not being fair to a dog to being lethal for a dog. Sounds like you don't know much about dogs of any sort. You really have no idea what you need or want. You say you "might" need one to guard your van. You "might" use a dog for hunting. Pretty vague. Any dog is a lot more than a burglar alarm with fur. Its a family member. If you don't want that, forget the dog entirely.

There are web sites that offer Q&As about finding the breed of dog that fits your lifestyle. You can also read about many breeds (size, shedding, activity and exercise needed, health problems they tend to have, behavioral traits, ease of training, good with strangers, protective, etc). I suggest reading and thinking about this a lot more before ever looking at one!

$40 or less on food a month? If you feed the dog cheap cr*&ppy food you will pay more at a vet eventually. How much you need to spend also depends on the size of the dog. A retriever hunting dog will eat a lot more than a lapdog. Also be aware that big chain pet shops often get their dogs from puppy mills. The breeder dogs are neglected, mistreated, often sick, inbred, and the pups pay a huge price for the rest of their lives. A decent shelter can help you find a good match, but do some research before going to one. They care about getting the dogs a good home and just wanting something to guard a vehicle won't cut it with them.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:19 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,087,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Are you also living in the van? I would not leave any dog in a vehicle, alone, on a hot day, they die quickly from the heat. Get one from the shelter.
So, if you get one from a shelter it's OK to kill it?

Old 10-27-2017, 11:35 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
I hope by now the OP understands the dangers of leaving a dog in a van in the summer. But if that is not the plan, and he/she needs to own up to that, and plans to travel during the cooler months I don't see a problem. I'm a dog owner who has been kicking around this idea and as long as you travel in cooler temps, or take your dog with you when you are not in the van together, it may work. But I agree the OP doesn't really understand dogs. And paying for cheap food is not the way to treat a pet.

Maybe they should just pass on the entire idea.

Old 10-27-2017, 11:40 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post

Anyway, I might need a dog to live in the front seat of my minivan while I sleep or go away from the minivan. I guess people snoop into my stuff so I need a dog?
Do not do this to a dog. Just no.

Old 10-27-2017, 11:53 AM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
It's cruel, and in many states illegal to leave your dog in a hot car. Some places it is legal to break your window to rescue the dog.

Plus, this is no life for a dog, even if you take it out for walks. Unhappy dogs frequently resort to destroying their surroundings. You would be amazed at how much damage they can cause in a short time.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing