Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 10:20 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,116,975 times

Advertisements

I saw an ad for a Alaskan Husky or so... My friend said this dog gets too big! I went to Petco and they had Labrador Retrievers for $1800! That's crazy wack prices when some individual will sell them for $550!

Anyway, I might need a dog to live in the front seat of my minivan while I sleep or go away from the minivan. I guess people snoop into my stuff so I need a dog?... I might use the dog for hunting, too...

Maybe I should get a Beagle?

I don't want to spend over $40 / month food budget on a dog, for specialized dog food. Is that too cheap? Then what size limit of a dog do I get?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2017, 10:47 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
To me, it would be abusive to get a pet to live in such a small area. Dogs cost hundreds of dollars, and pet food is the least of the expense.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-21-2017, 11:39 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,116,975 times
Don't worry; I'll let the dog have fun, too! When I go to Lake Shore Drive, he may run free. And I'll definitely bring him to the dog beach there.

Otherwise; he'll have his walks you know! I don't want him to 'go' in my minivan!

Old 10-21-2017, 02:58 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Your friend is right, a husky is too big. And unless you love being covered in dog hair, you do not want a long-haired dog shedding all that undercoat every spring into your van. Even after shedding, summer heat can make huskies and malemutes quite miserable.

If I were looking for an inexpensive dog, I'd look in shelters for a medium size shorthaired dog. Something like a beagle.

If I bit the bullet and bought one from a breeder, I'd buy a medium sized poodle or a labradoodle. Poodles are non-allergenic and do not shed rafts of hair. They are also often highly intelligent. Responsible breeders do charge top dollar, and they deserve it. Breeding a good dog is not simple, and not just anyone can do it.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:38 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,583,855 times
You should look into the small breeds. You want a dog to alert you, not for protection, and the small breeds will bark away when someone comes close. A small breed will eat less food (our bichon only eats 3/8 cup of food twice a day) and can comfortably sleep on a car seat. Also, a small dog won't set off the seatbelt alarm.

However, I think you'll find that the dog, whichever you get, will want to sleep in the same room as you, small breeds will want to be in bed with you. Also, unless you are keeping your minivan heated and cooled while at night or when gone, you'll have to take into account that it may get too hot or cold for any dog to be left alone in the vehicle.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:42 AM

130,460 posts, read 12,124,678 times
Are you also living in the van? I would not leave any dog in a vehicle, alone, on a hot day, they die quickly from the heat. Get one from the shelter.

Old 10-22-2017, 04:13 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
If I bit the bullet and bought one from a breeder, I'd buy a medium sized poodle or a labradoodle. Poodles are non-allergenic and do not shed rafts of hair.
There's no such thing as a non-allergenic -- actually, hypoallergenic -- dog. The allergen is the protein in the saliva or urine of the dog. Some dogs shed less than others, true, but they still have allergens.

My BIL has three standard poodles and unbeknownst to me he had spent the day with them inside a pickup. When we met for dinner, I had an allergy attack of epic proportions. We had to drive around at 3 am to find an open store that had Benadryl.

Old 10-22-2017, 04:26 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,583,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Some dogs shed less than others, true, but they still have allergens.
Actually, poodles don't shed at all. They have hair, not fur, just like us. So do Bichon Frise. We have to get our dogs trimmed monthly as there is no shedding. Can't say about the allergies as I'm not allergic to dogs anyways.

Old 10-22-2017, 04:27 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
There's no such thing as a non-allergenic -- actually, hypoallergenic -- dog. The allergen is the protein in the saliva or urine of the dog. Some dogs shed less than others, true, but they still have allergens.

My BIL has three standard poodles and unbeknownst to me he had spent the day with them inside a pickup. When we met for dinner, I had an allergy attack of epic proportions. We had to drive around at 3 am to find an open store that had Benadryl.
Thanks for sharing this, I will cease thinking that poodles are hypoallergenic. Obviously, they're not.

But it's still true that poodles have a different kind of coat than most dogs, and will leave less of a trail of shed hair behind them - in comparison to huskies, make that A LOT less.

I had a Samoyed once, and loved him to pieces, but all that dog hair was a trial!

Old 10-22-2017, 05:12 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,253,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Your friend is right, a husky is too big. And unless you love being covered in dog hair, you do not want a long-haired dog shedding all that undercoat every spring into your van. Even after shedding, summer heat can make huskies and malemutes quite miserable.

If I were looking for an inexpensive dog, I'd look in shelters for a medium size shorthaired dog. Something like a beagle.

If I bit the bullet and bought one from a breeder, I'd buy a medium sized poodle or a labradoodle. Poodles are non-allergenic and do not shed rafts of hair. They are also often highly intelligent. Responsible breeders do charge top dollar, and they deserve it. Breeding a good dog is not simple, and not just anyone can do it.
Really.

Guess I'll have to tell my two Malamutes that when it is hot they are supposed to be miserable. Will they lay in a hot sun? No, but they will lay in the shade and appear to be comfortable. They're not panting heavily and water is readily available at all times.

I have had malamutes when living in the desert of SE UT, and now where I live in the summer 90s are common. Granted, they do have access to the house anytime they want it, but my big male prefers to lay under the tree in the grass on hot days; and he actually has a heavier coat, year round, than my female.

And I travel with them in a truck and they live in my trailer when I'm camping (never alone they go everywhere with me).

But yes there is a lot of fur year round, with the worse being in the spring and just before fall. Malamutes tend to "blow their coats" twice a year, spring and fall. But, having a Malamute or a Husky brings light to the saying, "Fur is just another condiment." Cause you will have soft white fur occasionally on your burger. They are not a dog for someone who cannot live with fur in the house or truck (car).
I can drive down a road in the summer with the windows open and the inside of the vehicle looks like one of those old fashioned snow globes. Fur is flying everywhere. But I would not trade it for a million bucks.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing