Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 12:28 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,074,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
I saw an ad for a Alaskan Husky or so... My friend said this dog gets too big! I went to Petco and they had Labrador Retrievers for $1800! That's crazy wack prices when some individual will sell them for $550!

Anyway, I might need a dog to live in the front seat of my minivan while I sleep or go away from the minivan. I guess people snoop into my stuff so I need a dog?... I might use the dog for hunting, too...

Maybe I should get a Beagle?

I don't want to spend over $40 / month food budget on a dog, for specialized dog food. Is that too cheap? Then what size limit of a dog do I get?
you should not buy a dog or own one, $40 is for cheap cereal dog food. what are you going to do with the dog the first time it throws up in your nice RV, or pees the carpet or takes a dump? How about vaccinations or regular vet check-ups, heartworm tests and medicine? are you prepared to regularly exercise your dog like walking it several times a day for an hour or more?

it would be better if you bought a motion light instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 12:30 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,360,489 times
RVing with a dog is not really a big problem. Use the analog of a portable house not a car. Many have environmental control system that will protect a dog in an unoccupied RV. Much of the time a simple open window or vent will suffice. And you simply reflect the degree of control by taking the dog with you when it could be a problem.

Old 10-27-2017, 12:39 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
RVing with a dog is not really a big problem. Use the analog of a portable house not a car. Many have environmental control system that will protect a dog in an unoccupied RV. Much of the time a simple open window or vent will suffice. And you simply reflect the degree of control by taking the dog with you when it could be a problem.

Yeah, except none of that applies as the OP is using the word "RV" to describe his mini van.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-27-2017, 12:41 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,765,820 times
First never buy a dog from a pet store the parents are kept in horrible cruel conditions at puppy mills. https://www.aspca.org/animal-cruelty/puppy-mills

Second I think a husky would literally be one of the worst choices for an traveling companion. They are escape artists, very high energy and destructive if they get bored. They are good dogs for the right situation.

As others have said you can't leave a dog in an car/van/RV (without climate control) in the heat. Even if it's not that hot outside it heats up inside a car or RV quickly. Even if it's 70 degrees out it can be too hot for a dog inside of a car quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
Anyway, I might need a dog to live in the front seat of my minivan while I sleep or go away from the minivan. I guess people snoop into my stuff so I need a dog?... I might use the dog for hunting, too...
Please do not get a dog and subject them to this. It's not fair for the dog. They should not be forced to live in the front seat of a car.

Dogs are expensive. Do you have room in the budget for shots and heart worm and flea prevention. What if the dog gets injured? How will you pay for that?

Forget the dog and invest in a good alarm system. It will be cheaper in the long run.

Old 10-27-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yeah, except none of that applies as the OP is using the word "RV" to describe his mini van.
Have you looked at some of these so called "minivans"? When on a hookup they are probably as safe as many houses.

Old 10-27-2017, 12:42 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Have you looked at some of these so called "minivans"? When on a hookup they are probably as safe as many houses.

I still contend that it is not an environment for a dog.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-27-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
First never buy a dog from a pet store the parents are kept in horrible cruel conditions at puppy mills. https://www.aspca.org/animal-cruelty/puppy-mills

Second I think a husky would literally be one of the worst choices for an RV. They are escape artists, very high energy and destructive if they get bored. They are good dogs for the right situation.

As others have said you can't leave a dog in an RV in the heat. Even if it's not that hot outside it heats up inside a car or RV quickly. Even if it's 70 degrees out it can be too hot for a dog inside of a car quickly
Comeon. Where is the chart for a non-enclosed vehicle? Or one that has working air conditioning.

The OP may not be right for a dog but it is not a problem to have a dog on a boat or an RV.

Old 10-27-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I still contend that it is not an environment for a dog.
And I disagree. Again we boated with one but we could have followed similar protocols and done it in an RV. In fact the RV is simpler as you don't have the dog overboard problem. Ours swam fine but still had to be gotten out of drink in a reasonable period.

Old 10-27-2017, 01:08 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,422,361 times
Quote:
And I disagree. Again we boated with one but we could have followed similar protocols and done it in an RV. In fact the RV is simpler as you don't have the dog overboard problem. Ours swam fine but still had to be gotten out of drink in a reasonable period.
They are fine for an RV, but this guy is homeless and living in his minivan.

Old 10-27-2017, 01:20 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,765,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
They are fine for an RV, but this guy is homeless and living in his minivan.
Yes and he's thinking of getting a dog. It would be one thing if he had a dog already and was trying to keep the dog with him (still not ideal but at least understandable) but to go out and get a dog in this situation is wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing