Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 07:37 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times

Advertisements

I'm just now considering these (mostly from the '60s) and notice that many have been "restored" cosmetically, but what about the working systems? Are they generally okay in original condition? Are the electricity and insulation usually adequate? And many owners don't seem to know the dry weight.

Is it difficult to find someone to add a/c and other modern amenities to bring their functionality up to date?

Share your experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 11:00 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,593,446 times
Trailers from that era are going to be much heavier and not as well insulated. The entire electrical system would have to be updated to meet the demand for an A/C, as well as safety features, such as GFCI outlets. Heating and plumbing would also likely need a complete overhaul. If someone wants to restore one to its original condition, that's one thing. But if the idea is to modernize it, it would be easier, faster and cheaper to buy a new trailer, or one that's a few years old.

Old 06-06-2018, 01:06 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
When considering a purchase you would have to do a thorough inspection and ask for receipts. Some places (like below) do a complete restoration, but some buy a "yard find" and just do cosmetics. It could be asking for trouble with 30+ year old propane lines, water heaters and stoves. We considered it and with the time and cost to do it right, decided on new. When the new models come out there are great deals, our 2017 was about $7,000 under the original price because the 2018s were being shipped.

Vintage Trailer Restoration Advice From Flyte Camp

Old 06-06-2018, 01:06 PM

To say nothing of accommodating today's WIFI/cable TV/solar panels. Yikes; sounds like flipping houses on wheels. (attached is a representative website) Cosmetic changes on the surface, but big problems potentially lurking beneath? The problem is that, with the exception of the Shasta Airflyte Reissue, most modern ones are totally lacking in charm, IMO, and don't seem to be all that well constructed, judging by the number of complaints of buyers of "new." An additional worry: some campgrounds ban RVs and campers beyond a certain age (in many cases, older than ten years), so it seems risky overall. Is it basically assumed that electrical panels would be inadequate to handle today's load (a/c, usually not included then; other electronics)? To say nothing of the plumbing...

Little Vintage Trailer

Last edited by otterhere; 06-06-2018 at 01:21 PM..

Old 06-06-2018, 01:24 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,583,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
An additional worry: some campgrounds ban RVs and campers beyond a certain age (in many cases, older than ten years), so it seems risky overall.
Most of the parks that have a 10-year rule only ban trailers that look crappy--you know the ones, beat up sides, chipping or peeling paint, window frames sticking out, etc. If your vintage trailer is totally restored, I'm sure it would be accepted in any park, aside from the ones that cater only to Class A/Class C coaches.

I mean really, would you ban a 1965 Airstream that has been totally restored to the tune of $60k

Old 06-06-2018, 05:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
Most of the parks that have a 10-year rule only ban trailers that look crappy--...
I mean really, would you ban a 1965 Airstream that has been totally restored to the tune of $60k
yup, rules are rules. and there are plenty of RV resident 'police' (old grumpy guys) who have nothing better to do than to OCD the owners and campers to enforce the RULES!

I have a pristine 2001, (not a scratch, complete with protective covers...)

If I happen upon a 10 yr rule (camping or storage) I'm BANNED! (usually just to keep the peace with the 'old grumpy guys' )

OT...
//www.city-data.com/forum/campi...materials.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/campi...ut-buying.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/campi...otorhomes.html

The biggest issues with OLD Trailer will be corrosion / leaks (roof, windows, doors, joints) / mold / structure / HEAVY / brakes / bearings / available tire sizes.

Very possible to have a nice result (= TIME and money) and maybe even a PREFERRED result (I don't do PLASTIC )

You can very simply add rooftop or window AC and a separate circuit to power it (if that is the worst issue)

Anything RV specific is expensive, so adding conventional plumbing and fixtures / electrical will be to your advantage and MUCH cheaper (if it will fit).

Good luck, lots of options.

New is LIGHT, electronic (+/-) and fragile.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 06-06-2018 at 05:52 PM..

Old 06-06-2018, 06:58 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,357,057 times
Quote:
I'm just now considering these (mostly from the '60s) and notice that many have been "restored" cosmetically, but what about the working systems? Are they generally okay in original condition? Are the electricity and insulation usually adequate? And many owners don't seem to know the dry weight.

Is it difficult to find someone to add a/c and other modern amenities to bring their functionality up to date?

Share your experiences.
If they have been restored the inside should be upgraded also but you would need to see pictures and receipts, I've bought a few 60's trailers and updated them but not restored them, they are light depending on the size, cars had very low HP back then, the few I had were insulated just fine, I spent time in high elevations with snow and was very warm but if you want a older style trailer with a new modern feel then Shasta and other make brand new classic style trailers that are awesome and cheaper than a truly restored classic.

Old 06-10-2018, 04:19 PM

7,779 posts, read 6,394,423 times
I would be most concerned about brakes, axles/wheel bearings,tires and the hitch above all else.

There are some new/retro trailers out there that I would look at before deciding.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
If they have been restored the inside should be upgraded also but you would need to see pictures and receipts, I've bought a few 60's trailers and updated them but not restored them, they are light depending on the size, cars had very low HP back then, the few I had were insulated just fine, I spent time in high elevations with snow and was very warm but if you want a older style trailer with a new modern feel then Shasta and other make brand new classic style trailers that are awesome and cheaper than a truly restored classic.
Not a fan of the Shasta Airflyte Reissue interior/floorplan (assuming I could even find one used; they no longer make them). Are there other "retro" models being manufactured?

It sounds as if one can assume that most restored vintage campers being sold online are less than reliable.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:48 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Not a fan of the Shasta Airflyte Reissue interior/floorplan (assuming I could even find one used; they no longer make them). Are there other "retro" models being manufactured?

It sounds as if one can assume that most restored vintage campers being sold online are less than reliable.
... How did you come to that conclusion?

1) Are you capable of diagnosing and repairing your own stuff?
----------a) If yes, you may be much happier with an older model
----------b) If no, you have to live with the warranty / dealer visits (I have seen both instances (and time) to be fairly equal)

Fixing NEW out of warranty will leave you wondering how this RV stuff can possibly be so complicated and expensive.

YMMV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing