Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2021, 01:18 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times

Advertisements

I doubt the selection in MT would equal FL, AZ, CA, TN, GA, TX (retiree destinations)

You just want to REGISTER your RV in MT, not buy it there ! (salt / freezing state) (you don't have to pay sales tax in state you buy it, if you register it in a non-sales tax state. )

About the worse time of yr to buy an RV... It is spring time, it is Covid, people want OUT... so Selection is tight everywhere, but my area in TX has many RV and consignment lots. Today I saw a great Class A for $70k (diesel pusher) sitting in front of a retiree's new rural home (I was an hour south of my home, near Hondo TX, but did not get the number.)

How could you beat something like this?
Rare 2008 Tiffin Motorhomes Allegro Diesel Class A Motorhome - $59,995 (Belton) odometer: 47140
https://austin.craigslist.org/rvd/d/...336674639.html

2007 WINNEBAGO JOURNEY Diesel Pusher - $79,995 odometer: 30864
https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/rv...327516412.html

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 06-17-2021 at 01:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2021, 04:19 AM

4,598 posts, read 6,354,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Need advice on where to buy 1st RV used? In Montana visiting now w/ no sales tax up here, & a few RV's from '05 to '18 seem ok. But thinking of going to FL & maybe flying there to get best deal, if not buying here. So thus, we're unsure of overall prices for apples to apples comparison on similar Class C's would be better to buy Montana or down there in FL? Thanks.
After living in a snowbird destination for several years, I found that mid winter to late spring offered the best buying opportunity. Many older snowbirds come to the conclusion that they no longer want to make the annual round trip from their summer home up north and their winter home in the south....thus they sell the place in the north, buy a permanent home in the south and put the rig up for sale. They no longer need to get top dollar for trade in purposes, and most times are happy to get it out of their driveway.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 05-20-2023, 04:19 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,525,991 times
I referenced this post in a different thread. I wanted to update the photos to show what is possible.

Bolar Mountain, Virginia - Lake Moomaw

Lake Ontario sunset

Canadian glacier

Native ruins outside Flaggstaff, AZ

Sedona, AZ

The rig in Solomons Island, MD

Beartooth pass, MT/WY

Mt Rushmore

Old 05-24-2023, 04:21 PM

25,943 posts, read 22,098,104 times
Great photos! Yes, full-time RVing can be the best, and is for most that I have known with few exceptions. We first learned about it when we relocated to the Tucson, AZ area. We meant both full-timers and snowbirds. It is almost my turn, after waiting for more than 30 years. Once one moves around, it is so hard to settle back down. Hearing all the stories as we moved around and stayed in RV parks, meeting all the different people as my husband took jobs in 3 or 4 different states, was awesome. People here, the ones that watch the grass grow and wait to die, are not very darned interesting. I am not that interested in what they did in high school or the gossip about the neighbors.

Some people though find reasons not to do it, even though they would really love to do it. It is a big jump into the unknown though. The one thing I learned as we moved around was that the fear of the move/travel went away as one is working the plan and too busy to think about it, it is just the reality of the moment. Playing "What if...........", usually defeats the ability to just do it!

Good luck in your travels.

Old 05-24-2023, 06:24 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,902,997 times
I am toying with idea of retiring in a couple of years and selling the home and full timing for awhile. The proceeds from the house sale would be tucked away and used to buy a small home wherever I end up.
I just feel, I will find an area I fall in love with and want to stay.

Old 08-17-2023, 06:21 PM

8,036 posts, read 10,629,469 times
This thread was started in September 2020, almost 3 years ago.

A lot has happened since then. I am wondering if the increase in crime across the country has in any way been a deterrent to those considering full-time, or part-time, RV living?

Several of the full-time RVers I have followed on YouTube have at times felt the need to move from a campsite because they feared "trouble" from other campers. Also, several have reported having camping gear stolen when they left their campsite to go exploring, etc. Are there certain types of camping areas that you avoid, or do you take special steps to ensure your security?

I hate to be a "Debbie Downer", but how bad is this kind of threat in the world of camping today? Just trying to get a realistic picture as I consider putting up the money for a small, fiberglass travel trailer in the near future.

Old 08-17-2023, 08:33 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Petty Theft happens a lot in campgrounds (Stealing coolers of food and lanterns / chairs) It's easy, as people are gone from the site.

Make it hard (don't leave stuff out)

Safety... it's not the campers, but the visitors who are the danger. Campground hosts have commented that they had to get concealed weapon permits due to 'visitors' / people who are not supposed to be there anyway.

Just be careful and mindful.

Many private campgrounds are adding security and entrance gates.

It was nearly 30 yrs ago (before homeless, before covid, before mean and angry people) on a Home School week-long camping trip to a state park on Oregon Coast. (Very nice campground, well staffed)

We were there 10 minutes, unloading, and had a meeting and returned to our sites and food for 50 people for a week was GONE. (6 coolers). That was sad. I really miss my vintage coolers, irreplaceable.

Old 08-18-2023, 03:40 PM

1,408 posts, read 749,061 times
We've stayed in a hundred campgrounds in 35 states over the last 3 years and I've never heard of anything being stolen.

I'm not saying it never happens or it won't happen, but we don't bother locking anything up any longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing