Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 12:11 AM

9 posts, read 14,947 times

Advertisements

Greetings Canadians,

I am faced with an exciting time in my life and I wanted some opinion on which direction to proceed. I have 4 job offers in the Biotech industry in the cities listed above and have visited and really love them all from visiting.

I currently reside in Madrid Spain where I was born and raised and am leaving my home and family to purse new opportunities in the americas.

Here is what I am looking for in a city.

Best beaches in the summertime
Large cosmopolitan area
Major important biotech industry
Diversity
Educated population, especially in the sciences
Safe
Great restaurants and bars
Futbol-Soccer community for both watching and especially playing
A Top Tier Sciences University to pursue my PhD in the future

One more background on me. Even though I am Spanish by birth both of my parents came to Spain for the Dominican Republic and I am very in touch with my Dominican Heritage. Which of the cities has the best Dominican Restaurants, Grocery stores (not just latin but Caribbean Latin specifically), largest dominican community and spanish speaking population.

So far money wise the job in Boston-Cambridge pays the most, Ottawa 2nd, Kansas City 3rd and Toronto 4th. Is this because Toronto is cheapest of the 4?

So know about me, what should I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 12:26 AM

4,282 posts, read 15,756,009 times
Boston

Old 12-14-2010, 01:24 AM

1,654 posts, read 5,859,509 times
Best beaches in the summertime : Boston
Large cosmopolitan area : Toronto/Boston
Major important biotech industry : Boston
Diversity : Toronto
Educated population, especially in the sciences : Toronto/Boston
Safe : Toronto/Ottawa
Great restaurants and bars : Boston
Futbol-Soccer community for both watching and especially playing : Toronto
A Top Tier Sciences University to pursue my PhD in the future : Boston

Old 12-14-2010, 09:44 AM

9 posts, read 14,947 times
So Boston and Toronto appear to be best.

Cornerguy why did you so convincingly pick Boston?

I can tell you that from the interview visit Toronto, Boston and Kansas City was most fun. I am in Kansas City now and it is a lot of fun.

Which is most expensive to live? Toronto or Boston? Is the reason to salary is lower in Toronto because it is a bargain compared to the other three?

Old 12-14-2010, 09:55 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,086,303 times
Kansas City would probably be the least expensive of the three. Followed by Ottawa.

Toronto is certainly not a bargain and is probably as expensive overall as Boston is. Maybe more.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:14 AM

22 posts, read 84,597 times
KC would be the lowest cost of living. Toronto or Boston would be highest. Toronto doesn't have great beaches but you're within driving distance of some very nice spots in the Great Lakes. Don't let the coasties fool you. We do have great beaches too. Boston may be on the water but it's the cold North Atlantic.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:51 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,141,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo.Cordero View Post
Here is what I am looking for in a city.

Best beaches in the summertime
Large cosmopolitan area
Major important biotech industry
Diversity
Educated population, especially in the sciences
Safe
Great restaurants and bars
Futbol-Soccer community for both watching and especially playing
A Top Tier Sciences University to pursue my PhD in the future
I like Toronto but that list screams Boston, esp. biotech industry + University. The thing about the PhD is if you're in TO and can't get into UofT for some reason, you're screwed. Not so in Boston.

Can't speak of Dominican/Hispanic resources specifically but I'm pretty sure both Toronto and Boston could satisfy you here.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:46 PM

5,907 posts, read 6,123,489 times
Background: I live in a Toronto suburb, so I'm familiar with it, although not as much as someone who lives in the city proper. I've been to Ottawa for a couple days, but I'm more familiar with the natural areas around it. I've been to Cape Cod and know some things about Boston, but only from what I've read. I know little about Kansas City, other than the fact that it's a mid-sized Midwestern city.

Beaches: There are beaches you can go to in Toronto right in the city and they're not hugely crowded, but the water isn't safe 100% of the time. They have warnings though if they aren't. If you're looking for quality beaches, there are some within day trip distance on Lake Erie, Lake Huron and the Georgian Bay. There's also lots of smaller lakes in cottage country (Ontario) that are clean and have very few people, some of them have sand beaches. I'm not sure how Ottawa fares with sandy beaches, but it's very close to cottage country (Quebec) and Algonquin Park, where there are tons of smaller lakes. Boston is close to Cape Cod, which is great but the water is cold since it's the ocean (Ontario's lakes are warmer). Kansas City is inland, but I have no idea if they have any good lakes or rivers.

Large cosmopolitan area: Toronto definitely, probably Boston too.

Biotech industry: no idea

Diversity: I'd say Toronto

Educated population: Toronto and Boston

Safe: Toronto and Ottawa

Restaurants and bars: not sure, I'm mostly familiar with Toronto which has a lot of independent and multi cultural restaurants. Nightlife wise, Toronto over Ottawa but again I don't know much about Boston and KC.

Futbol: Since it's not the biggest sport in North America, this depends a lot on which city has the most immigrants from futbol nations (Italians, Portuguese, Latinos, even South/West Asians). So I would go with Toronto.

Top Tier Sciences university: Boston. Toronto has UofT which is good for anything and has a good rep. There's other schools in the area like Waterloo which rival it in math and engineering, or McMasters in life sciences, or Western in business, but I'm not sure if there's any other schools that would be big in biotech.

I'm pretty sure Boston has the largest Domican community. Canada doesn't have nearly as many Latin Americans as the United States.

I'm not sure how Toronto compares to Boston, but compared to most Kansas City it's way more expensive, at least for housing. Houses in the city is mostly $300,000+ except for very small houses and bad neighbourhoods. Same goes with many of the suburbs. Only in the more distant suburbs can you find a nice house for $200,000 and in Hamilton (satellite city 70km away) for around $100,000. If you're looking for a single bedroom apartment, it's around $600-$1000 per month in the city and most suburbs and $500-$700 in Hamilton.

Last edited by memph; 12-14-2010 at 05:04 PM..

Old 12-14-2010, 05:23 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,086,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Boston is close to Cape Cod, which is great but the water is cold since it's the ocean (Ontario's lakes are warmer). .
Second time this has been stated in this thread so I checked. Average summer water temperatures in Wasaga Beach, ON and Cape Cod are about the same, around 21 C or 70 F.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:38 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,756,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo.Cordero View Post
So Boston and Toronto appear to be best.

Cornerguy why did you so convincingly pick Boston?

I can tell you that from the interview visit Toronto, Boston and Kansas City was most fun. I am in Kansas City now and it is a lot of fun.

Which is most expensive to live? Toronto or Boston? Is the reason to salary is lower in Toronto because it is a bargain compared to the other three?

Based on your criteria, Boston would come out on top for money, restaurants, educated population, and availability of top notch universities.

Toronto leads in beaches both inner city and within a 2 hour drive.

Bio-tech? No idea which of the 4 is the leader.

Diversity: Toronto and Boston are both pretty diverse, but Boston likely has more of a Spanish/Hispanic population

Boston also has the advantage of being much closer to other large, culturally-rich centers like New York City and Washington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada