Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 06:10 AM

233 posts, read 538,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
It would cost just as much per annum - likely more - to have an elected head of state. There are other rationales for removing the Queen or Queen's rep as head of state but a cost savings isn't one of them.
Actually it probably would be cheaper, we currently pay over $50,000,000 annually so I would hope we could do it cheaper then that. It will never happen though, it's a way to complicated process and would likely lead to the break up of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 07:12 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Say what you want but there are a lot of Canadians (mostly outside Quebec) who have a deep attachment to the monarchy. And not all of them are descendants of United Empire Loyalists. Many Canadians of immigrant origin are supporters of the monarchy as well, for "stability" reasons.

Also, many Canadians support the monarchy because deep down inside they feel it is one of the only things that distinguish them from the U.S.

Anyway, a referendum on abolition of the monarchy in Canada would likely be too close to call.

You would get 80-85% for abolition in Quebec, which represents close to one quarter of the Canadian population.

But things would be a lot closer in the other 9 provinces, with probably even a majority of people (55%) in Canada-outside-Quebec in favour of keeping the monarchy.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:51 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
And worse yet, the United States uses the English language. Shouldn't they join the UK or get another language or something?
I heard that German almost became the official language back when some thought we should have an official language which the US does not have where as Canada has two.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:27 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I heard that German almost became the official language back when some thought we should have an official language which the US does not have where as Canada has two.
Assuming you mean that German almost became the official language of the US, that is a myth. It doesn't even make sense to me since the US was not colonized by Germany. Countries tend to take on the languages of their colonizers.

German in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-15-2011, 03:50 AM

344 posts, read 462,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
That is a myth. Muhlenberg legend - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-15-2011, 04:09 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,160,121 times
Having a Monarch in a lot of ways is not rational but it works for us.
Now what do some want instead, parliament choosing one of their bosom buddies to be President ?
Believe parliament would give the mug punters(voters) a say in how the President should be picked ?

I swore allegiance to the crown when I joined the military, swear allegiance to a politician ? which party ?

Both the Queen and GGs do have reserve powers which Jean did not use it seems, did Harper have the confidence of the house when he asked Jean to shut it down?

And no if he lost a confidence vote there was no need for another election in Canada, Jean should have told the leader of the opposition parties to form a government and test their confidence in the house.

By not doing that she failed as a GG.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:32 PM

746 posts, read 1,677,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Changing Canada's system of government would open up a whole can of worms - notably Senate reform and Quebec's position under a new constitution. No point removing the Queen as head of state unless you can get agreement on the new form of government.
quebec is the elephant in the room here - that province is seriously a thorn in our side. There is a reason the rest of Canada hates quebec.
God I wish those people would just go away! But please take your share of the debt with you.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:32 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
And worse yet, the United States uses the English language. Shouldn't they join the UK or get another language or something?
Who told you we speak english? Kind of reminds me of people who come from Frances to visit Louisana and wander why they can't exactly figure out what Cajun French are talking about.Tere are mnay forms of english i US and none what is called the queens english and seems that same way in UK. When i was in the army we never knew what nay of the guys from Rhode Island was talkig about. I have neieces from California and they speak a form of runon english caaled "and huh" and use the word "LIke" as commas between breathes.Believe me we have our code talkers ready for WWIII.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:27 PM

482 posts, read 2,419,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poscstudent View Post
Actually it probably would be cheaper, we currently pay over $50,000,000 annually so I would hope we could do it cheaper then that. It will never happen though, it's a way to complicated process and would likely lead to the break up of the country.
Since the Governor General is our Head of State we would either need to change our form of government or perhaps have an elected Head of State voted by all Canadians at large... I would prefer that myself.

The Gov. Gen. stilll has real power though... All new laws have to have federal assent which means the GG's signature. So in essence the Queen still has veto power in Canada similarly to the US President.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:44 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,877,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_gateway View Post
quebec is the elephant in the room here - that province is seriously a thorn in our side. There is a reason the rest of Canada hates quebec.
God I wish those people would just go away! But please take your share of the debt with you.

only if we can keep Montreal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada